About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Dehydrating tomato paste

6:53 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I am new to home dehydrating and I have been using a cheap dehydrator to turn tomato paste into tomato powder using the method in the Cliff Jacobson book on cooking in the outdoors.  In brief the paste turned black after about 18 hours in the dehydrator.  Is this normal?  Is it safe to eat?  It certainly doesn't look very appetizing.  Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

11:12 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I've never heard of anyone dehydrating tomato paste but I have read of more than a few people carying tomato paste that comes in a squeeze tube. It might be heavier but I'm sure the quality is better.

4:03 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I have never tried to dry my own paste before, I always bought the dried powdered paste.  I have used the tube paste at home before, but I thought that they need to be refrigerated after opening.  I am not really sure what to do with the paste that I dried.  Is it edible?

4:10 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I never tried it myself, but I don't see why you shouldn't try a bit - it's not going to harm you, maybe it is simply burned and then not going to taste good...I carry tubes with me and they are OK, the longest time I had one open was for 2 weeks and it didn't went wrong.

4:12 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I dehydrate Spagetti sauce and take it hiking all the time.  Go for it.  It turns out somewhat like very dry fruit leather. 

4:21 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

It turned out like leather and turned black.  The black color makes me wonder if it has gone bad.  The Cliff Jacobson method calls for breaking the leather into chunks and turning it into a powder in the blender.  I suppose that I could just try to rehydrate a bit and see what it tastes like and see if I get sick.

5:17 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

It turned out like leather and turned black.  The black color makes me wonder if it has gone bad.  The Cliff Jacobson method calls for breaking the leather into chunks and turning it into a powder in the blender.  I suppose that I could just try to rehydrate a bit and see what it tastes like and see if I get sick.

I think the actual dehydrate time is 8-10 hours on red sauce....Thats what I have atleast shakeNbake..It maybe ok for a few weeks.Test some ..I also carry the Armore brand tube paste and pesto..3.95 at my food store..

5:17 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I think the actual dehydrate time is 8-10 hours on red sauce....Thats what I have atleast shakeNbake..It maybe ok for a few weeks.Test some ..I also carry the Armore brand tube paste and pesto..3.95 at my food store..

7:04 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I never had it turn black.  Dark red but not black.  Temp of the dehydrator might be wrong.  Why does it have to be a powder?  I use it in flakes.

5:17 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am using already dried vegetable-flakes, dried red & green peppers, dried chives, and such ... I purchase at a local Amish Farmer's Market.

It's very, very light ... and easy to put into almost any kind of small container.

Only problem I'm having ... is that it takes quite a while to re-hydrate.

How long is 'normal' ?

r2

8:36 a.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

I find sun dried tomatoes a suitable substitute if you are disinclined to carry the tube paste.

Ed

10:39 a.m. on April 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

I've dehydrated tomato sauce and salsa before, but not tomato paste.  You may have had the temperature too high.  Rehydrate some and try it, you won't get sick or die from a small sample.  I've not thought of the blender trick, sounds like a good idea.  I've just peeled if off the tray in sheets (looks like a kid's fruit roll-up) broken it up and added water.  Works quite well.  Salsa on a trip is a godsend.

3:08 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

What about sun dried tomatoes ?

11:59 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

I dehydrate tomato paste among other things often enough. I typically dehydrate it at 140 degrees for about 8-9 hours. temp range doesnt matter too much just stay within 140-160. And I wouldn't go over 10 hours. Contrary to popular belief you can burn food while dehydrating.

My dehydrated paste comes out a very dark deep red, but not black. I then take it and put it into a food processor and make it into a powder. You can just leave it in flakes but I find the powder rehydrates much better and quicker.

If your paste is 'black' and you did it for 18 hours i suspect you burned it. But like others said it wont hurt you, take a little bit and rehydrate it and see if it tastes ok. Most items get alot darker when dehydrated, which is normal.

1:03 a.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I suppose that it was not quite black.  I have one of the really cheap Ronco dehyrators with no temperature control.  Not always the best selection at garage sales for $5 I suppose.  My thinking was the same as Rambler's, powder would rehydrade faster than a leather.  I am going to rehydrate some and see how it tastes.  I am concerned that it might upset the digestive tract since I seem to have many problems in that area.

11:51 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

shakeNbake said:

I am concerned that it might upset the digestive tract since I seem to have many problems in that area.

May have something to do with your living up to your user-name here.

Yogi Robt

12:34 a.m. on May 10, 2011 (EDT)
126 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

FYI: User name refers to G141--Earthquakes and Volcanoes

6:06 a.m. on May 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Obscure.

5:35 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

My advice... get rid of the Ronco. Sorry to be harsh but they are probably the slowest dehydrators on the planet and that opens you up to food safety issues.  I've been chatting on another forum and a woman actually had pink fuzzy mold on the food using a Ronco. The Mr. Coffee and Deni models aren't much better.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply