My vegan friend

9:49 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Ok, so I have a vegan friend at work.  He wants to hike with me. 

Luckily, unlike most vegans I have met (very few) he isn't obnoxious about his religion and I can tolerate his peculiarity.  Obviously, we don't talk politics much.  Personally, I grow, hunt, process, cook and devour animals with reckless abandon as often as possible. 

My worry is trying to help him eat enough quinoa, tofu and other strange sounding foods and semi-foods to keep his energy up for the task. 

Veggies, take your best shot, go ahead, tell me how much healthier and responsible he is than me for his eating habits, etc.  Tell me that he will likely be performing CPR on me for my sins of flesh-eating, etc.  After you are done please offer your advice on filling meal options for this guy.  Yes his eating habits seem wierd to me.  I still would like to help him find something to eat if we go on a hike or two. 

Thanks for your input.

*No animals were harmed in the writing of this forum post.

**That can't be said for my choice of dinner tonight. 

***Or Lunch.

****And breakfast tomorrow isn't looking good either.

10:08 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Sage I am not a Vegan or vegatarian. But you knowing what particular activity level your going to be doing and how many calories it will take. Is it possible to come up with a dietary plan with the input of your friend? I ask this because he or she has a greater understanding of the protein and caloric levels of certain items. Opposed to us meat eaters...As Iam chewing on  a piece of steak while I type this....I say have them right down items that have just these factors or what and where they purchase them.

1:28 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,158 forum posts

I've been a vegetarian for years, though I'm only a partial one now. I've never been vegan.

First, I'd find out what your friend likes to eat and then bring along a variety of that stuff that's safe and packable on a hike. After all, we all like what we like.

There should be plenty of options, just think of all the fresh and dried fruits and veggies, nuts, oatmeal, pastas, rice, and so on out there.

In the protein department, there's Justin's Nut Butters, among other options: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/justins/ (I haven't tried these, but saw them the other day and thought they sounded good.)

If it's only a hike, it shouldn't be too much trouble. I mean he eats every day anyway, right? You can pack along hiking versions of what he might have eaten anyway.

If it's overnight you'll need to plan better, but it's still very doable.

I'd recommend he bring his own food, since you may not be aware of which versions of food are or aren't vegan-friendly. Sometimes it's hard to tell with hidden ingredients. Once you know what he likes, you can suggest some options and how much he should bring along. Go for a variety, to see what he likes and what works on the trail.

I just saw an article on vegan travel and backpacking:

http://wideworldmag.com/howto/backpack-vegan

Also see:

http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/vegan-backpacking-food.html

http://www.mocs1986.com/2010/01/vegan-backpacking-menu.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/272827-vegan-backpacking-food/

http://outdoorherbivore.com/ (the site's not working now though)

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

2:52 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Wow Alicia, those are a lot of choices.  I think we'll be ok. Thanks

He says he'll share his food with me if I want to try it unless I am afraid of becoming a vegan too. 

5:58 a.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

..Obviously, we don't talk politics much...

Why?  Are you projecting a stereotype here?  There is lots to debate, beyond agricultural and dietary philosophies.  Heck, most of the current national policy debates in Washington have nothing to do per se with meat and vegetables.  Likewise for our foreign policies.

9:07 a.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Actually Ed its because we disagree strongly on politics and would rather talk about other stuff.

Not everyone likes to immerse themselves in long philosophical arguments like some people I know. Cough**Like Ed **Cough

10:48 a.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Actually Ed its because we disagree strongly on politics and would rather talk about other stuff.

Not everyone likes to immerse themselves in long philosophical arguments like some people I know. Cough**Like Ed **Cough

That's too bad, but then I find it extremely difficult to have a good argument with someone I agree with.  Fortunately people generally find me very disagreeable, but that is another story.

Oh you should hear me go off while on a solo trip.  I make Robin Williams seem stodgy  That's what happens when my keepers let me out on a weekend pass.

Ed 

1:16 p.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,158 forum posts

Wow Alicia, those are a lot of choices.  I think we'll be ok. Thanks

He says he'll share his food with me if I want to try it unless I am afraid of becoming a vegan too. 

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes for you and your friend.

1:36 p.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts
Re: My vegan-vegitarian foods

I find it interesting to try other ethnic/cultural/perferred diet foodstuffs.  Exploring the world through food is fun!

Like "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" & "Anthony Bourdain-No Reservations".  What is one persons' favorite food, is anothers "Yuk!" food.

I have had so much fun trying other person's food. Rather vegan/vegi/meat/etc. Dropping your guard, so, like Zimmern says':  "If it looks good . . . eat it!"

5:54 p.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

My wife and I are trail vegetarians because it is actually easier for us. We cook our own dishes at home (vegetarian chili, a variety of vegetable beans and rice dishes, etc) then dehydrate them. I find that meat products dont dehydrate as well nor last as long as dehydrated vegetable products. Then in camp boil and add water.

Just have your friend cook some of the things he would normally make and dehydrate them. He will then eat food he likes and you wont have to worry.

1:25 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Deer droppings are full of nutrition.  But is it vegan ?

8:12 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I would by no means consider my self a vegetarian and most definitely not a vegan, but with the work schedule I have been on for the last two months, eating a diet of mostly vegetables and fruit has been easy and given me enough energy to do what I needed to while at work.  I was working 12+ hour days with working 4 days on then one day off, so I didn't have a lot of time to make meals.  Veggies were/are quick and easy to pack in my lunch and eat with no prep after I got home from work.  My job entailed climbing vertical ladders more than 500 feet up and down or more and walking about 5 miles or more and carrying around who-knows what kind of equipment each shift.  This was while wearing full fall harness and other protective clothing in a building andywhere between 80-100F.

Don't get me wrong, I still ate my animals when Ihad the chance....unfortunately that typically was a sausage, egg and cheese croissant from Dunkin Donuts on the way home (I was on night shift).

So it can be done to live without meat, but it is a choice.  And I chose for the last two days (off of the "hell-shift" now) to devour as much beef and chicken as I could handle!

5:00 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I just had a book published on this very subject... will you be using a food dehydrator? Are there any other dietary restrictions?

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply