Marking Titanium

10:28 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I have an MSR titanium kettle/pot, .85l.  Great piece of gear.  My one gripe is that it does not have any gradations or markings to indicate fluid volume, i.e. 1 cup level, 2 cup level.  It would be nice to be able to measure water within the pot itself.

I've thought about simply scratching a line on the inside of the pot at the appropriate level and was just wondering if any of you have marked your titanium in any fashion and/or of there's a better way.  I don't think a permanent marker would work and I'm a little hesitant about trying to bang out an indentation.  The kettle walls are thin and so whatever I do I need to be very careful.

MSR, if you're listening this is a great product, but it could be better with the fluid level markings kinda like Evernew's products! 

2:34 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Excellent as long as you don't mind that titanium is a relatively poor heat exchange material.

Ed

12:35 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I suggest to start, contact MSR for suggestions.

Failing that I would attempt the indent by tapping on the outside of the pot but definitely and absolutely needed have a block (round surface) on the inside at the point of impact to oppose bending and deforming a greater area.

2:21 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

MSR has made a one liter pot in the Titan Kettle style for the military.  I don't know if they were ever generally available, but they're nice and do have volumetric markings.

IMGP1727_adj.JPG

The lid's handle is a bit different than the Titan kettle's.  I actually prefer the lid handle on kettle made for the military.

IMGP1735_adj.JPG

HJ

10:08 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Callahan, I actually did contact Cascade Designs.  I was impressed by their customer service. They got back to me within a day of my e-mail.  They suggested I could scratch some markings inside the pot.  They also suggested what you are saying, pounding some indentations making sure to back it up with a curved piece of wood to prevent deformation.

The customer service rep also said they are planning (hoping) to begin making the Titan Kettle with graduations in the next year.  We'll have to wait and see on that. 

The military one liter pot is cool, but I like the slightly smaller .85 L size of the civilian model.   But the markings on it are what I'd like to have.

3:11 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I scratched light lines on the outside of my MST pot next to the handle. After I was done I noticed that the spot welds holding the handle to the pot lined up almost exact to my 1-2-3 cup scratch marks. It might be worth checking your pot before you add your own marks.

5:21 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Huh, Wow, lot of talk about scratching a mark(s) in a backpacking pot.  Seems to me for the ease and simplicity of it all is to take a "rusty" nail and scratch your marks on either on the inside or outside of the intended item.  If you do it on the inside of the metal item, food will stick to the scratched area requiring a little more scrubbing to get it clean.  If you do it on the outside, .........well I can't think of a down side.  The "rusty" nail will give it much more "character" rather than using a clean nail.   Or as Tom Waits so eloquently stated "I'll take a rusty nail, scratch you initials in my arm...."

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply