Griswold Cast-Iron Cookware

11:31 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Car-camping this week-end, at a nearby (15-miles) Tuckahoe State Park, here in Maryland.

Normally, I seldom cook when camping (almost NEVER when hiking / backpacking).

This time, I knew I would be camping out of my VW Vanagon Westy, and mostly,  kayaking the pond and Tuckahoe Creek.   So, I brought along a few cast-iron pots and pans, planning to cook over an open fire at the camp site.   I have had a bunch of Griswold-brand cast-iron cookware for decades, including a good-sized Dutch Oven.

I was surprised when several campers that were set-up near my Westy stopped by to see what I was cooking.   But, more-so, the surprising thing was they recognized my cookware, as being Griswold.   They were "ooh-ing and aaah-ing" like it was a big deal.

I was informed the Griswold kit was "collectible", and I should investigate its value.

WTH !

I just use this stuff, as I have been for years and years.    I'm not concerned how much it might be worth.   Man!

What next?

3:03 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Chinese are gonna take over and start making all of the only FGL boots available on the market because other companies are gonna quit making them all together.

They will be all gore-tex models with EVA midsoles, and have varying thinsulate levels from summerweight(1000gram) to winter(5,000,000gram.) ...and only be available in neon colors.

Bet ya can't wait huh? :)

8:08 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

The Chinese are gonna take over and start making all of the only FGL boots available on the market because other companies are gonna quit making them all together.

They will be all gore-tex models with EVA midsoles, and have varying thi~r2~0,000gram.) ...and only be available in neon colors.

Bet ya can't wait huh? :)

Ha!   Hilarious, Rick!

You could be right, I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, ironically, I just received an Email from Williams-Sonoma (the cookware store ... I am a 'frequent-flyer', and they send me updates on sales, etc.).

The cast-iron cookware manufactured by Le Creuset is on sale (select items).   I referenced their Dutch Oven.   Retail?  $280 !

Maybe, I feel safer now, with my Griswold.

~r2~

8:18 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Rob you should know by now that people will collect anything.  

http://gcica.org
http://www.griswoldcookware.com/

I'm willing to bet they thought you were abusing your cookware by taking it camping.  Similar to someone taking a vintage guitar out into the woods where it might get wet or letting their 8 year old "play" it like some heavy metal rocker.

Each to his own.

9:49 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Good Grief !!

They even have Griswold and cast-iron conventions!

~r2~

10:35 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Griwold and pre-Griswold Erie, PA cast iron is some of the finest that has ever been made. I have one Griswold, and I absolutely love it.

So, if you don't care how much it is worth, I will be happy to trade your Griswold for some Lodge :)

10:48 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I was in an antique shop in the UP of Michigan last month and in the basement of the shop was a small fortune in Griswold cast iron.   The shop had at least a half dozen of everything.  I"ve never seen that much Griswold cast iron anywhere. 

12:40 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Griswold.jpg

Robert,....You are "cooking" with the Griswold cast iron cookwear? Are you mad? Have you lost your mind?

1:00 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Griwold and pre-Griswold Erie, PA cast iron is some of the finest that has ever been made. I have one Griswold, and I absolutely love it.

So, if you don't care how much it is worth, I will be happy to trade your Griswold for some Lodge :)

I have a few Lodge cast-iron ash trays I bought from Cabelas awhile back.

1:38 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have those ash-trays by Griswold ... if, they look like little frying pans (?).

I also have several odd things by Griswold ... waffle-maker, patty-roaster, etc.   Actually, I really don't know WTH (another dreaded acronym !)  I have.

I've moved a few times in the past couple years, and put a lot of stuff in storage. 

Going through a major "down-sizing", and I'm lovin' it.

~~ Gonzan --  I'll keep the Gris ... but, thanks for the offer.

~~ Rick --  Yeah, I use it.  

I recently picked-up (at GoodWill) a LeCreuset cast-iron fritatta broiler / roaster, for $4 !   Missing the lid, but WTH ?  Check out the prices on those bad-boys.  LeCreuset cast-iron cookware is finished with colored porcelain.  You've probably seen this.

Think I'll bring this piece next time I hit the State Park again with the Vanagon Camper.

Wonder what the 'prol's' (proletariat) will think, THEN ?

~r2~

5:09 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Griswold.jpg

Robert,....You are "cooking" with the Griswold cast iron cookwear? Are you mad? Have you lost your mind?

Rick, ... don't tell anyone.   Keep it under your hat (or your armpit).

Truth-be-known, I don't use any of my gear.   I just show-up at the local Starbucks wearing a lot of it.   I need to get a Subaru wagon, and put a Yakima roof-rack on it.

Then, I'll let my beard grow for a week-or-two.   Wear some goofy / dorky hat with a gear logo on it.   Technical-fabric T-shirt with some high-endy, outdoor supplier's logo ....  Wear my FGL mountaineering Fabiano's, and prop my feet up, so everyone will not mistake me for a 'normal person'.

Need to get an iPod to have the earbuds permanently attached to my ears ... make sure I bring my Mac laptop ... and, I'm "golden".

~r2~

5:19 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, there ya go. I would 86 the Fabiano's and go with a nice ol pair of Red Ball hip waders.

8:25 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Lol, there ya go. I would 86 the Fabiano's and go with a nice ol pair of Red Ball hip waders.

Rick, Robert is trying to go for the "sophisticated, at any moment I could get up and go for a walk in nature" not normal, not "he's a bit touched in the head" not normal. Although that would keep people clear of you and your table. 

Rob if you really want to confuse the "sophisticated outdoor gear wearer" take a day hike in the get up and then get your latte before you hit the shower.  It'll blow their minds when they realize that you actually used the gear for it's intended purpose.  Who knows? If the right person is in line with you could be rich. I can hear the conversation now...

"Sir, do you actually hike in the uhhh wilderness?"

"Yea"

"Do you do this often?"

"Much as I can. Between band gigs."

"Have you ever considered doing it for a living?"

"Ya mean being a guide?"

"No no a TV show where we follow you and your adventures in hiking. Kind of like Bear Grylls but not so dangerous. You hike showing us the wild life and then sit around the camp fire play the guitar. Something average Joe could see himself doing."

You give him a strange look with a smirk on your face.

"Don't tell me! Somebody has already signed you?  I could get you your own clothing line...   even your own line of outdoor guitars."   

BTW  When are you going to the cast iron convention? Bet you won't find any of the fake outdoorsy people there.

6:54 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Hey guys the posers in Starbucks are actually on their way to a job interview with Banana Republic.

Ed

7:35 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick, ocg ~~

Hilarious !

You guys helped me start my day with a good laugh.   Needed it.

BTW -- What backpack should I be using to tote my Mac?  Mystery Ranch or McHale?  Is there an over-the-shoulder sling model, that is laptop specific?

Also, I was thinking of wearing a pair of those convertible hiking pants ... the ones with the zip-off lower section that converts them to shorts.    Only, just zipping off one leg.   You know -- like some of the hip-hop, ghetto-boys wear pants with one leg rolled up higher than the other?  

Dunno (?) 'bout getting a tattoo for my lower leg, though, to show it off.  I'd have to find a tattoo artist that could do an accurate representation of John Muir.

I am NOT going to even THINK about those "5-toed / "barefoot" thingy's.   UNLESS ... I can find something that looks like "alien feet".  ... You know --  authentic reptilian scales, and real long talons.    Maybe the Hallowe'en / costume shops have something like that?

BTW -- Do people with tattoos on their arms actually own long-sleeve shirts?  I see them in the Winter wearing short-sleeves.  Huh ?

Actually, NOT showering for SEVERAL DAYS may help impart an authentic "aura" to my persona.

Now ... if I could only find out where I can get a Griswold-emblazoned T-shirt ...

Now, THAT would be the "clincher"!

~r2~

9:32 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is the perfect pack for your mac.

flextrek.jpg

...also looks good with Red Ball hip waders.

Here is the promotional demo video.

http://youtu.be/LlLNEzgXu0E

9:58 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick ~~

Are you SURE you do not have too much time on your hands ???   The guys that did that vid-clip apparently do.

Gotta tell 'Ya, though ... that is the craziest thing I've seen in a long time

~r2~

10:11 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Now ... if I could only find out where I can get a Griswold-emblazoned T-shirt ...

Hahaha!  

I could make one for ya' Robert :)

11:00 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Rick ~~

Are you SURE you do not have too much time on your hands ???   The guys that did that vid-clip apparently do.

Gotta tell 'Ya, though ... that is the craziest thing I've seen in a long time

~r2~

...maybe its time I start taking my meds again. :p

2:24 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

On the set of "Robert Rowe Ordinary Hiker"

"Guys we've gotta lose this super ultra light wiener tent.  I sneezed hard last night and blew hole in it again."

"Robert  that's the third one, we've only got one more and those things don't come cheap."

"Don't come cheap? They're nothing but extra thin Tyvek and an Aluminum pole made from 2 soda cans."

"Look you have to come down to the B&B this evening we can't afford to lose Helium Wisp Tents as an advertiser. "

"I've already told you I'm not Bear Grylls. I actually LIKE staying out here. Anyway the second one is not my fault who would have thought that you needed to guy down a tent in winds gusting to 5mph. The stupid thing blew away when I went to take a leak. It was amazing. By the time I got back it was 50 feet in the air and a quarter mile away."

"Yes, yes I know," rolling eyes.

"Another thing, you've got to quit cooking with the Griswold cast iron."

"Why?!"

"Two reasons. One: You're supposed to be an Ultra Light person and keep you pack weight down. Every time we get a new lighter piece of gear You go an stick something heavy in your pack."

"Well its not like I can't carry the weight. I'm in shape unlike the no neck idiots we're selling this junk to."

"Two: There's been a run on the cast iron at Gander Mountain instead of your line of cast aluminum cookware."

"My line of what?"

"Oh yea Three: It bends the Turbine Ultra Boil stove supports. I mean the stove is only 10 grams. That stupid fry pan weighs a thousand times that and the lawyers say it looks waaay to precarious sitting on top of it. Somebody might try to fry something in it, tip it over, the grease spills out catching the ground on fire and the 50 gram canister of oxy-acetylene blows up."

"Well what do you want me to do? I tried the cast aluminum pan, which I hadn't approved for production yet, but that stupid stove burned a hole clean through it in 30 seconds. It's too damn hot. Who really needs to go from snow to a rolling boil in 10 seconds? It's not like we have the Queen out here and it's your head or a cup of tea."

"Oh not to change the subject but we got some good new last night."

"What? Did the boot company finally agree not to put Gortex in my line of boots"

"No no way better than that. I still don't get why you don't want waterproof boots but anyway Apple called they are coming out with solar powered versions of their I-Pods and Phones. They're gonna put their own satellites in orbit so they'll have service in the back country.  We've got a sample of the I-Pod Nano for you to wear today.

I loaded it up with Snoop Dog's new RAP album "Cruisin the A.T. lookin' for weed." Thought you being on the cutting edge of hiking gear you would want some cutting edge music. The cover song is kinda like Margaretaville."

2:50 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH............aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Dang, I want that pack.  Why decide what tent you want to set up when you at home when you can bring them all with.............

9:37 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

OCG, I just snorted blue moon out my nose laughing so hard :)

If you don't write for a sitcom, you should ;)

10:54 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Thanks Gonzan, I'll see if I can come up with some more tomorrow.  Be careful with that Blue Moon.  That's my favorite.  If you haven't tried Bud Lite Wheat you should. 

11:36 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Can you imagine a sit-com with guys like us in it?   Who would play me?   Should be someone that is a cross between Brad Pitt and Eddie Munster. 

Might fly for a season-or-two.   A working-title might be "The Un-Gore Techs".

Remember "F-Troop", with Larry Storch?

~r2~

8:08 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

'Ya gotta check-out the Post-Topic, "Survivor Auditions" in the "Off Topic" forum.

Related to where this thread is headed ....

Looking for actors to play some of us in a sit-com ....

~r2~

12:31 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmmm, I wanna play myself. :(

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply