I 'heart' Poland

11:42 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

So, last weekend I went out on a trip with JasPL from the backpacker.com forums and he was kind enough to share with me an ever so tasty treat. Dried, smoked kiebasa sausage from a little polish deli over in his neck of the woods.

It was amazingly good. And as I sat there eating it I was thinking why the heck would anyone bring salami or summer sausage etc when they can get this stuff.

So when I got back home I followed JasPL's advice and sought out a polish deli. Well I ended up going to a polish market and they had a huge selection of dried sausages. Probably at least 20 different kinds. The names were all in polish and I had no idea what anything was so I just asked the nice lady at the counter to surprise me with 3 random wheels of sausage that were hanging on the wall behind her.

I left the market with 1 spicy, 1 garlic, and one regular of what I assume is kiebasa, but honestly I have no idea what it is really. In any case, I ate half a wheel on the way home because it was so freakin good. I think it goes awesome with a sharp cheddar or a smoked cheddar.

The best part is that it wasnt even remotely expensive. I got 5 lbs for a grand total of 18.20. They arn't dried hard, so will only last 2 weeks or so, but that is more than ample for backpacking outings. I know for a fact it will be eaten long before it would even remotely start to go bad.

So if you have not ventured out to visit a polish market, or another ethnic market that does the same kinda thing I highly suggest you do. I wont ever be taking the typical grocery store sausages out with me ever again.

I <3 Polish people and their delish sausages

11:49 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Re: I

I have an Eastern-European heritage, including some Polish. 

I am familiar with the food.  "Kielbasa" (there's an "l" in it) can make you produce some wicked 'stink'  (farts).

Have compassion (pity) on the people and animals around you.   Pack a carbon filter with you ... size-specific, naturally.

~r2~

12:36 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I hit a Polish deli on the northside of town whenever Im over that way for just that reason. The sausage is awesome! Im usually at work when I stop in and grab a good sized link of something and a couple of good pieces of bread. Spend the rest of the day naw'n on it.

r2 is so right about the stink, my burps will darn near chase me outta the cab of the truck! Well worth the nasal punishment tho.

12:52 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

I can use the extra 'power' to exact my revenge upon Juno my husky. She punishes me often enough in our tent and at home for that matter!

7:37 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

A family-member had a dog ... that I swear would smile ... whenever he farted.

~r2~

12:31 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

The only thing worse then a gasie dog in the tent is a wet gasie dog

12:46 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dehydrated haluski, hmmmmm. May have to see how this works. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I grew up on this stuff. My grandmother was always making it...

I could see me blowing my tent to pieces in the middle of the night with absolutely no problem at all.

Guess it would give new meaning to the term "blazing trails."

8:04 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
600 forum posts

This is why all tents need to meet fire retardent standards!

12:27 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

After a bowl of that stuff I personally do not think a fire retardent would do much good Jake....come to think of it I don't think a bomb shelter would survive my wrath. Picture Godzilla in Tokyo.

So who is bringin the kielbasa on this upcoming trip in Jan? I will bring some homemade Haluski.

TR- This will cut down on the need of a fire in -10 temps. :)

2:17 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Natural gas heating, thats going green and following LNT

2:30 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

Natural gas heating, thats going green and following LNT

Absolutely. Also cuts down on pack weight. :)

6:51 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

...  I don't think a bomb shelter would survive my wrath. Picture Godzilla in Tokyo.

So who is bringin the kielbasa on this upcoming trip in Jan? I will bring some homemade Haluski.

NOT me.   I'm a vegetarian (35+ years).

I was going to suggest we 'buddy-up' on sharing a tent (in January) ... but, I am having 2nd thoughts, based on your comments ....

Plus, I enjoy quiet nights.

~r2~

1:11 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

I was going to suggest we 'buddy-up' on sharing a tent (in January) ... but, I am having 2nd thoughts, based on your comments ....

Plus, I enjoy quiet nights.

~r2~

Come on in buddy, bah ha ha ha ha.... I can already see the jabs we are gonna hit each other with after this trip lol.

Oh, also people say I snore but I always argue that point with the response "no I don't, I've never heard myself snore." ;)

3:28 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Sausage and flatulence: the closest man has come to, defying the laws of thermodynamics with a perpetual motion system.  Perhaps if we stick a tube somewhere up every politician, and bottle the stuff, we will be less reliant on imported oil...

Ed

3:29 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm, you may very well be onto something there Ed.

4:38 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I could see me blowing my tent to pieces in the middle of the night with absolutely no problem at all.

Does Hilleberg warrantee for that? 

Would make a great "reality" video / commercial. 

~r2~

4:45 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I could see the mushroom cloud now....

9:31 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick ~~

Your wife  ... (God bless her) ... has she mentioned anything to you, about "seeing someone to get some help" ?

~r2~

10:55 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Rick ~~

Your wife  ... (God bless her) ... has she mentioned anything to you, about "seeing someone to get some help" ?

~r2~

Lol, my therapist says all will be better in time. She has faith. :)

11:35 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I have dehydrated mesquite smoked  jalapino sausage with me..great stuff and not to exspencive.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply