Easy Cheap meals w/ lil clean up for group of 8 staying at Zion Campground

4:04 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

We'll have a group of 8 or 9 staying at the watchman campground in Zion for a Week. Trying to figure out some minimal clean up meals that would be easy to throw together to convince my dad into.

Any Suggestions?

11:46 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Pot of chili, soups done in one pot, easy on the Coleman stove.  Use the fire pit: BBQ ribs, grilled steak, chicken and potatoes roasted in the coals.  Pancakes, sausage, eggs, omelets all using just the frying pan (and a cutting board for the veggies.  Left over BBQ for trail and ledge lunches.  If your dad doesn't want to clean up, consider indulging him and paying back for all the years he did things for you. I am sure he deserves it.

Ed 

6:12 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

If you are car camping make "meal in a bag" meals where you heat the food in its own plastic bag then eat from the bag discarding it afterwards and have nothing to wash in the cook pot, just hot water to dump.

camping.lovetoknow.com/Meals_in_a_Bag_​for_Camping

www.mensjournal.com/meal-in-a-bag

www.trailcooking.com

www.FreezerBagCooking.com

You can also make your own "Meals in a bag" using heavy duty freezer bags. Just be sure the bags bottom doesn't touch the bottom of the cookpot or it might melt.

And this from the Compact Calories forum:

ConnieD said:

http://www.packitgourmet.com/General-Grocery-c14.html

8:09 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Don't use freezer bags to heat foods!

Go to your grocery store, where the waxed, foil, etc. rolls are.  Pick up some food boil bags.  They go from small, to turkey size.  These are made for hot water contact.

3:34 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Anyone do any Dutch Oven style cooking?

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply