My (Mostly) New Lightweight Setup

9:24 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Thought I would share this for comments and thoughts!  My better-half is certainly tired of me asking for her thoughts on it (something about... if it makes me happy, then she is happy). 

My new lightweight cook kit -
- GSI Kettle
- White Box Stove - MANY THANKS to Denis Daly for his generosity
- Guyot Squishy Bowls
- Exotac match holder and @12 storm matches
- Plastic cutting board
- Dish soap, scrub pad

Need to add:
- Folding spork (any recommendations to a good one)

Not included (but here):
- Fuel - 1l Trangia bottle
- Food

11---1.jpg

11---2.jpg

11---4.jpg

Sorry about the lousy cell-phone pictures.  My photos skills really lack.

10:56 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Nice little set up!  But how do you fry the bacon and eggs?  :D

Joking aside it seems VERY compact.  As for a spoon or fork, have you tried the Spork (Light My Fire) they are fairly compact and I think it would fit in the kettle. 

One other question, but you make your own meals or buy the "Camping" food.  Dehydrated stuff.

Wolfman

3:39 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I may be able to fry eggs inside the kettle... I'll seriously have to try.  The opening is large enough that I might be able to manage... hmm...

I had a LMF Spork (kids broke it).  I'm sure it would fit through the opening, but not with everything else jammed inside.  Snowpeak makes a short spork which looks pretty close to what may fit.

I usually make my own meals.  The dehydrated/freeze-dried packaged stuff has never been a favorite of mine.  Marginal for taste and you have large plastic bags to deal with afterwards (which cannot be reused). 

11:50 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

When I am going with a minimalist cook set up I usually bring only a spoon and a double walled insulated polycarbonate cup as my personal eating utensils, with all food items pre-prepped such that they only require reheating.  May not be able to eat and drink hot items simultaneously, but everything stays hot.

Ed

5:41 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I use disposable bowls with lids. Rubbermaid 3.2 cup versions are great. The lids are big enough to use as small plates.  They're light and cheap. 

6:16 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I really like my GSI Soloist set. Its quite light and self contained. The spork(which collapses) has held up well. My LMF Spork snapped in 2 days from purchase while stirring mac n cheese. 

The set weighs in at 9.5oz. It is self contained(the bowl as well as an 8oz MSR Iso canister fit inside with the spork. If you leave the Pocket Rocket out of its plastic case it will fit in the set as well.)

2011-06-05_14-47-22_681.jpg

Everything together
GSI-set-003.jpg

In its sack(which is ok for scooping water but pretty pointless as a wash basin)
GSI-set-004.jpg

This is with an 8oz MSR canister just for an idea. 
GSI-2-004.jpg

Also if you take the pot lid & flip it over you can snap it onto the bowl and use it as a coffee mug. 

GSI-3-005.jpg

There are also perforations in the lid for the purpose of straining pasta etc.

Here is a link for it here on Trailspace:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/gsi/ultralight-soloist-cook-system/#description

11:39 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I have a GSI Halulite Minimalist Cookset. My MSR folding spoon fits in it. 4.5 inches folded and 8.75 unfolded

8:53 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

The GSI telescoping spoon is good, I used it on a trip... I bring one as a back up, in case something does happen! if you wanna be UL you could always take it off and just use the half with the spoon

I kinda contemplated recommending the spoons to you... I'm at war with GSI right now, cause my Halulite Minimalist insulated sleeve's outside is falling apart after 2 uses!! And I emailed them, I was very nice, and they never replied back. So I sent them another one earlier today... So i'll give them a week, before I call, and if the snub me.. There will be an enraged thread soon after.

One kid lost a spoon on our NOLS trip (as well as his chapstick, the dhram-bag lid, one of his croc's band (that footholder thing on it), lets just say we had a few nights of LNT enphasis!), tried to make a spoon out of a stick... stabbed himself pretty good! lets just say he ended up using the stick, as was...

Or.... chopsticks!

there is the SnowPeak Compact Chopsticks...

or these are cheaper... http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-CC-Portable-Chopsticks/dp/B002WZJ8UO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312851113&sr=1-1 their shipping weight is 2.1 lbs but it says the chops are only 1oz???  o.O

9:00 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

MikeyBob365 said:

The GSI telescoping spoon is good, I used it on a trip... I bring one as a back up, in case something does happen! if you wanna be UL you could always take it off and just use the half with the spoon

I kinda contemplated recommending the spoons to you... I'm at war with GSI right now, cause my Halulite Minimalist insulated sleeve's outside is falling apart after 2 uses!! And I emailed them, I was very nice, and they never replied back. So I sent them another one earlier today... So i'll give them a week, before I call, and if the snub me.. There will be an enraged thread soon after.

One kid lost a spoon on our NOLS trip (as well as his chapstick, the dhram-bag lid, one of his croc's band (that footholder thing on it), lets just say we had a few nights of LNT enphasis!), tried to make a spoon out of a stick... stabbed himself pretty good! lets just say he ended up using the stick, as was...

Or.... chopsticks!

or these are cheaper... http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-CC-Portable-Chopsticks/dp/B002WZJ8UO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312851113&sr=1-1 their shipping weight is 2.1 lbs but it says the chops are only 1oz???  o.O

Did ya take your problem up with the retailer that you originally purchased the set from?

10:35 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

MikeyBob365 said:

Or.... chopsticks!

Did ya take your problem up with the retailer that you originally purchased the set from?

I did not, I felt I should go straight to the problem.

I wouldn't have complained about it, and tore it right off,  but that layer that is falling off is sewn into the insulating layer... meaning i gotta rip the whole thing off!

10:53 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

MikeyBob365,

Typically manufacturers would direct you to handle defective product issues with the retailer that sold you the product. The retailers normally honor the manufacturers warranties and would probably be your best course of action.

Try contacting the customer service center or the retailer where you initially purchased your set. If they do not help you(which I think it would be an odd case, just mho) then harass the manufacturer.

Companies that deal with this type of merchandise really can't afford bad publicity. It hurts their revenue tremendously. 

These manufacturers don't rely on TV commercials for advertisement(I have yet to see a Petzl TV commercial, or a MH, or OR, etc)and they really do not want any negative publicity. They like so many other companies are based on word of mouth advertisement. Technically our reviews are a form of word of mouth advertisement.

The nice thing about this form of advertisement is ya get it straight from the individual that shelled out their hard earned cash for the product. If the product is a hunk of crap chances are they will let ya know. 

Lets say I have a bad experience with a tent maker for instance, I tell a few people, then they tell a few more people, then they tell a few more.... It travels like wildfire, or maybe I post a negative review here and 1000s of people see the review over time when they go to get a heads up on a product of interest through a Google search. I guarantee some of these people would most certainly take their business elsewhere which in the long run really hurts a companies generated revenue. If one has a bad experience with a company when dealing with a warranty issue, and they go public with that bad experience, it can tarnish a companies reputation as a whole.

I think if you go through the proper channels you can very well get this situation taken care of. 

If ya need any info of how to contact the retailer or manufacturer let me know who it is and I would be more than happy to provide you with any type of info/links to get ya taken care of. Happy hiking-Rick

11:39 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Good info Rick!

I'm, gonna private message ya! So we can keep people on topic! haha!

11:42 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

No prob, anything I can do to help count me in. If I am not on here feel free to message my yahoo that is listed on my info page.

@Cleric- I want to apologize for going somewhat off topic. I am just trying to help someone out.

9:12 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

My light and fast setup consists of a Snowpeak Solo Ti cookset (small pot, mug sized pot, and fry pan), Alchy stove, and the collapsible utensils appropriate for what I will be cooking (GSI and MSR). This is as minimal as I like to go, as I can still cook most anything I want to but at a low weight.

(also included are soap, scrubby, salt & pepper, olive oil, lighter, and 2 small pack towel cloths)

10:02 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I am with Gonzan I have a snowpeak 900 Ti pot with lid and the White Box stove and throw in a spork. Want some Pizaz add a glad plastic tuperware thing costs a buck. Cup s just a plastic measurieng kind. Glad the Stove works for you cleric . Like mine too. @Rick that is a pretty cool little set up..

Oh condiments like Goonzan has said just hit ll the fastfood or chinease Resturants you can and save in a plastic bag.

2:30 a.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

get rid of the Kettle.

Buy a ,

- MSR Stowaway Pot 1100ml.

and maybe also a,

- GSI OUTDOORS Glacier Stainless Bottle Cup/Pot

and for the utemsils,

- Guyot Designs MicroBites Utensils

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply