Watch this video if you are interested in steam baking - Cakes, Muffins, Breads, etc.

1:27 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

In the past couple years I have taught myself to bake trail breads through various methods. I have learned a lot from other people's websites and videos on YouTube.

I wanted to share this YouTube video with Trailspace members in hopes it will be of help. The methods shown can be used with most any stove / pot setup that will cook at medium to low heat.

I have used this same method and it works very well with the exception that steam baked breads do not develop a brown crust the way they do from an oven. However when you are out on the trail and you are hungry.....who cares.

Adding fresh breakfast biscuits, blueberry muffins, mexican cornbread,  all helps to turn an okay meal into a great meal.

Give it a try sometime, it's not too hard, and the rewards of fresh breads on the trail are well worth the effort.

9:22 a.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Thats interesting, thanks for sharing that!

10:54 p.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Sure Gary,

I love blueberry muffins & mexican cornbread out on the trail and baking it like this makes it fairly easy.

12:50 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Just seems like something besides the produce bag could be used to bake the bread in?  Like a oiled inner pan?

Ever make dumplings on top of stew in the field? You just make the batter for them, Then spoon it over the top of the stew or chili jus before its cooked and let them steam bake. They come out with the flavor of the stew.

1:53 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

The wife has toyed with the idea of baking on the trail for the last two years. I have done some research, but not found a way that I would like to do it (carrying extra stuff just for breads has not excited me). This looks like a great way to do it. Does he have a video on how he made the disk he uses?

2:44 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Explorer Robby said:

The wife has toyed with the idea of baking on the trail for the last two years. I have done some research, but not found a way that I would like to do it (carrying extra stuff just for breads has not excited me). This looks like a great way to do it. Does he have a video on how he made the disk he uses?

He (Tinny) has several videos on his YouTube channel showing how he makes things, I do not think he has one on the baking disk(?).

However, if you go to his website he sells them for around $10 - $15. I believe his disks are made to fit certain brands of pots, but will fit others of similar diameter. It doesn't have to be a tight fit.

I started by making my own out of aluminum sheet metal I had lying around and just drilling some holes to let the steam through. Tinny's are a little more heavy duty.

I have been steam baking for a while now and it is quite easy after you do it a couple times.

I have some of his products and I really like them, plus his videos have been very helpful to me which is why I post them on Trailspace from time to time.

2:47 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I was looking at the disk and it seems pretty simple. I will call our shop tomorrow and see if they have any 1/8" aluminum plate. If so, I think the hole diameters are probably not critical. I am going to make one and try it. Something like that I prefer to make rather than buy. Pretty cool. Glad you posted this. My wife will be excited.

8:39 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Robby, you only need a thick piece of foil (like a pie or baking pan that's made from heavy foil.)  Cut out just larger than your pot because you need to bend the corners down for legs: about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. You need some clearance for your water to boil & steam under it.  Punch holes (1/8") about  every 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the plate bottom. I use a nail. I just carry mine in the cook pot upside down on the bottom.  If it gets trashed, no big deal. You don't need heavy duty. Or I don't anyway;)

When ever my company has a sales meeting, they usually cater from Podner's BBQ and I grab the serving pans after.  I get source material for making wind screens and steaming plates for the scouts in our troop.

7:58 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I use, recommend, and really like: Silly feet, almost every grocery store/walmart/target etc i have ever been in has them. They are silicon muffin cups that have feet. Work like a champ for steam baking and clean super easily. Just fill pot with water to cover the feet, put on lid and steam bake away.

51neAC4esrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10:11 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

That is so cool.  I've not seen those before.  Are bake times still 20-25 minutes?

11:12 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Definitely will try this next time I'm out, thanks!

11:42 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Bake times vary depending on what i'm making, anywhere from 10-30, just depends. On average i'd say about 15-20 mins for most things. The denser items take the longest, where more fluffy items like muffins and cakes take 10-15.

8:16 a.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Sounds good!  Thanks:)

10:05 a.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I've neer baked anything on the trail before, not even myself ;) I am definitely going to try this next time! Thanks for sharing, Trout!

10:26 a.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Guyz said:

Robby, you only need a thick piece of foil (like a pie or baking pan that's made from heavy foil.)  Cut out just larger than your pot because you need to bend the corners down for legs: about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. You need some clearance for your water to boil & steam under it.  Punch holes (1/8") about  every 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the plate bottom. I use a nail. I just carry mine in the cook pot upside down on the bottom.  If it gets trashed, no big deal. You don't need heavy duty. Or I don't anyway;)

When ever my company has a sales meeting, they usually cater from Podner's BBQ and I grab the serving pans after.  I get source material for making wind screens and steaming plates for the scouts in our troop.

I had thought that may work. Podner's? Do you live in Baton Rouge?

8:26 a.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Near Shreveport.  When I'm not with the scouts, I usually solo.  Might work out to meet at a trail head some time.

6:05 p.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Always open to that idea. I get up to the Backbone trail a couple of times a year, and I am starting to form up a plan to do the Wild Azelea trail in December. Several of us from around the South meet up at Lake Faussee State Park every Halloween weekend for what we call Halloween on the Bayou. We car camp for that one with a little hiking, a little kayaking, a lot of food and some drinks. You should come down and hang with us.

6:44 p.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Yes, I have used Silicon oven mitts before, they withstand high temps and still feel cool inside.

Those baking cups with feet are cute, what store did you find them in?

4:55 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Just seems like something besides the produce bag could be used to bake the bread in?  Like a oiled inner pan?

Ever make dumplings on top of stew in the field? You just make the batter for them, Then spoon it over the top of the stew or chili jus before its cooked and let them steam bake. They come out with the flavor of the stew.

I do use an inner pan sometimes Gary, oiled and preheated. It seems to produce a crispier bottom, especially biscuits but sometimes too much steam settled on the top of the bread and it stayed doughy. I think a lid that was vented better would help.

I also use turkey roasting bags and produce bags. One of the reasons I started using bags was because it is easier to clean up afterwards and it gives me a way to re-use the produce bags.

I have not tried making dumplings in the field Gary, chicken & dumplings is one of my favorite cold weather meals. I will try it the way you describe sometime, good idea.

4:59 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

TheRambler said:

I use, recommend, and really like: Silly feet, almost every grocery store/walmart/target etc i have ever been in has them. They are silicon muffin cups that have feet. Work like a champ for steam baking and clean super easily. Just fill pot with water to cover the feet, put on lid and steam bake away.

51neAC4esrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's cool. I've not seen those before. I have seen the silicone bowls and would use one if I could find one that would hold a full bag of muffin mix at one time.

The silly feet would be great for individual portions.

What kind of (size) pot do you use and how many of these will fit inside?

9:27 p.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I use a Snowpeak trek 900, and 1 will fit in it perfect, 2 if you squeeze em in.

If i am going out where i want to steam bake things for a few people i bring my 2L MSR alpine ss pot and all 4 fit in with room to spare.

I see these in grocery stores all the time with all the other baking needs stuff where all the muffin cups etc are. Seen them in walmart and target before also. You can buy them online too off amazon.

Just cover the feet with water and steam bake! Clean up is a breeze as nothing sticks or burns onto them.

1:32 a.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Great idea!  I have seen a few of Tiny's video but had no idea how many he had out there! 

I am going to have to try this out.  Any reason the wax paper muffin cups would not work?  I think I would be able to do 4 in my pan and it would be fairly tight to keep them from opening up.  I guess I would have to split up the mix to different bags. 

Yea I really got to try this out.  :)

Wolfman

8:14 a.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Wolfman said;

I am going to have to try this out.  Any reason the wax paper muffin cups would not work?  I think I would be able to do 4 in my pan and it would be fairly tight to keep them from opening up.  I guess I would have to split up the mix to different bags. 

Try it.  Let us know what happens.

5:59 p.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

TheRambler said:

I use a Snowpeak trek 900, and 1 will fit in it perfect, 2 if you squeeze em in.

If i am going out where i want to steam bake things for a few people i bring my 2L MSR alpine ss pot and all 4 fit in with room to spare.

Thanks,

I have the same pots myself.

My first real pot set was the MSR Alpine set. Heavy but tough.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply