Stick Bread

9:32 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

Ever make stick bread?

1: Take a green stick about 1 inch in diameter and 1-2 feet long. Peel the bark off about 5-6 inches of one end.

2: Make pastry dough with Bisquik and water, roll into a long tube. Wrap the roll around the end of the debarked end of the stick. Wrap it from about 3 or so inches down from the end of the stick and around till it overlap's itself at the end making a cap.

Hold it over your lit stove or campfire flame and turn as the outside of the dough becomes browned. Cook this way a few minutes.

3: The inner green stick has enough moisture in it to keep the dough from sticking to it. Gently pull the "baked" roll off the stick. The end cap and hole inside from the stick makes a perfect place to fill with honey,jam or whatever you like.

Stick-bread.jpg

I learned this in Boy Scouts back in the late 1960s.

11:37 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

That's where I learned it too, (and about the same time) but I had forgotten about it.  I'll have to drop that one on our new troop of boys this next camp out.  Thanks for the reminder.

11:55 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks, Gary.

I was taught this, as well, in the B.S.A.

Had forgotten about it.

Now ... if I could ONLY make a pizza this simply !

~r2~

12:53 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

Most of what I know about camping and hiking I learned in Boy Scouts. Only thing I never succeeded at in the B.S.A. was winter camping, I always wimped out during the night. But when I decided to winter camp in Yosemite in the winter of 1978, I succeeded and found I liked it very much (at the time) When I returned in January to May 1980 the girl at the Yosemite Transportation Service in Merced tried to talk me out of going because of all the snow. I said I had camped in snow before and wanted to go. She just could not understand why anyone would want to sleep in the snow and cold, and thought I was crazy.

As a boy in upstate New York I had grown up always playing outdoors yearround, building stick forts in the summer and snow caves/igloo's in the winter. Never would have thought I would make a life of adventure travel from what I learned on my own and in Boy Scouts. These days I can't imagine doing much of anything else. i don't like living in towns very long and feel more at home in the wilds somewhere for long periods of time, usually alone because I find few others who love it as much as me (till I joined Trailspace).

Del Gue tells Jeremiah about what his mam and pap said about his idea of being a mountain man.

Supposed to be the video inserted above, here's the link below...

http://youtu.be/MCYfdMwPBi0

1:02 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I too had forgotten about doing this on camping trips with my parents many years ago.  We used Golden Syrup to flavour.

1:54 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

I'm going to try this next time we cook outside.  It would make a great activity to do with cub scouts at one of the group camp outs. 

Here's an idea that popped into my head:

Roll it flat then roll it around a hot dog.

1:09 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

That'll work! It's really tough to kill a hot dog;)

1:46 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Can I also eat the stick?

2:43 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

Sure ,if its a bread stick!

3:44 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

No, the stick is for picking your teeth and poking your fellow scouts.

It could also be used to wack Ipod users to get their attention.

4:48 p.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

No, the stick is for picking your teeth and poking your fellow scouts.

It could also be used to wack Ipod users to get their attention.

Better be a big stick, I floss with jump rope. :)

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply