About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal

9:52 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I'm evaluating the new MSR Whisperlite Universal, which is set for public release in 2012.  The Whisperlite Universal will do anything the old Whisperlite Classic or Whisperlite Internationale will do AND the Universal will burn canister gas.  I've only run a few tests as of now, but I like what I see so far.  I haven't finished my review, but I do have some videos of the new stove posted on my blog:   Whisperlite Universal -- First Videos, Detailed Photos

Here is a photo of the W'Lite Universal running on canister gas:
 P1070365.JPG 

HJ

9:56 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey HJ, I am very interested in purchasing this stove as soon as it is available. I look forward to any info or feedback you can provide on this model. 

I really like the jet set-up on it. Very good videos.

11:14 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Hi, Rick,

I'm putting together a full review as well as some (hopefully) more polished videos.  Stay tuned.

HJ

11:27 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Always do, I find your info very helpful and informative. Thank you for sharing. 

11:53 p.m. on September 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

How do you switch between canister and liquid? 

Speaking of multi-fuel stoves, how about another fuel.  Well not another, just a hiking size container of it. I ran across it in my local hardware store, an 8 oz propane canister.  It was made by Bernzomatic and called a Powercell. It appeared to have the same kind of a connector as canister gas.  I'm wondering why they don't use this for camping.  Unfortunately it appears to have been discontinued. The size and weight are comparable to canister gas and all you would have to do is change the jet size on a stove to make it work properly. It would have to be used in a remote configuration because of the shape.  It's somewhere between canister gas and the tall butane refill cans. I would think that it would be the perfect solution for canister stoves in the winter.

12:42 a.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Hi HJ,

Thanks for the early review, I enjoyed the video review of the Whisperlite Universal that you and your young daughter did.

I look forward to your more extensive review.

Tony

2:16 a.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

How do you switch between canister and liquid? 

See the third video on my blog post. It's all there.

Speaking of multi-fuel stoves, how about another fuel.  Well not another, just a hiking size container of it. I ran across it in my local hardware store, an 8 oz propane canister.  It was made by Bernzomatic and called a Powercell. It appeared to have the same kind of a connector as canister gas.  I'm wondering why they don't use this for camping.  Unfortunately it appears to have been discontinued. The size and weight are comparable to canister gas and all you would have to do is change the jet size on a stove to make it work properly. It would have to be used in a remote configuration because of the shape.  It's somewhere between canister gas and the tall butane refill cans. I would think that it would be the perfect solution for canister stoves in the winter.

As I recall, the Bernzomatic Powercell has the same connector as a 16.4oz/465g Coleman 100% propane canister. I looked at one and thought it might be a good option, but I could only get it if I bought the blowtorch, so I passed.

If you get one, please weigh it and let us know what the gross weight is.

HJ

2:18 a.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

TonyB said:

Hi HJ,

Thanks for the early review, I enjoyed the video review of the Whisperlite Universal that you and your young daughter did.

I look forward to your more extensive review.

Tony

Thanks, Tony,

My daughter now says "stove!" any time she sees me bring out my equipment for testing.  She's probably the only 23 month old that knows a backpacking stove on sight.  :)

HJ

9:30 a.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

HJ

Does that Coleman connector look like?  I couldn't find it on the internet.  I assume it's different from the "standard" 16.4 oz steel container.

This is the best pic I could find of the powercell that shows the connector.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyOnmoXI3iUopRCbdnf1e

11:16 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Oh, that's what you meant.  I thought you were talking about a different product from Bernzomatic. 

Buy as many of those powercells as you can get your hands on.  I understand that they're a good product.  I'd love to see some pics and hear about your experiences if you actually get your hands on one.  Shoot, buy more than one, and I'll buy one from you.

HJ

4:10 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I took the MSR Whisperlite Universal out to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River yesterday for some field trials.  The more I use it, the more I like it.

P1070457.JPG

I also added a new video on my blog (see the second one down):  http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/09/msr-whisperlite-universal-first-videos.html 

HJ

1:15 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Here's a fun photo:  Me testing the Whisperlite Universal last night.  I'm wearing the headlamp.  :)

P1070512_FO.JPG

HJ

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply