Powder Milk???

3:41 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

Anyone use any powder milk on a trip??

What kind and is it any good??

I just tried Carnations non fat milk..It's a maybe..

Wanted for cooking and maybe a drink or two.

How about those non refridg milks???

Any comments needed. Going on a 5 day trip..

Thanks

4:09 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually experimented with rice milk(non refridge) on a recent trip. They were the individual box type that has the straw that punches through a foil hole in the top for consumption. Seemed to work well but it did add a bit of weight. I used it to make meals that required milk. I was making all kinds of "gourmet" dishes on the trail on that trip. 

I made chicken alfredo that turned out well. I also had a foil pack of cubed chicken breast and a foil pack of tuna. Hey, I like to eat lol.

I have had experiences with powdered milk. I have not really noticed much differences as far as taste goes when using different brands. At the same time I typically use it for cooking and not so much for drinking. 

4:28 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Powder"ed" milk.  Yes.  I bought 12 cases of nitrogen packed powdered milk 16 years ago at an auction.  The auction was selling all the saved up items from a Morman family.  I paid $1 a case and I still have 3/4 of it left.  I should never have to buy it again in my life.  In my lifes experiance there is no such thing as a good glass of powder milk.  On the other hand I use nothing else when cooking as I cannot tast the difference between "most" foods when using powder mike as opposed to real liquide milk.  You might also think about small cans of condenced milk (condenced milk taste just as bad in its own special way), but powered milk is stilll the lightest option.

Regarding a "better" tasting type.  I would say the choices are either terrible, icky, awful, and really really bad.  They all pretty much suck the same taste wise if your drinking it straight.  The Powder"ed" milke industry logo should say "Don't drink powdered milk".  The add would show a celebrity spitting it out making a nasty face".

4:55 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I use Carnation 2% dry milk powder for my trail cooking that requires milk. For premixed dry goods like biscuit or muffin mix I add it at the house, I also carry a small container of milk powder for use on the trail.

I'm not too fond of it for drinking straight, but the colder the better.

I have not tried any of the liquid shelf stable milk products.

10:46 p.m. on September 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I took Horizon organic 1% drink box shelf stable milk on my last hike.  The boxes were 8 oz. each.  Great for putting in tea and my 8 year old thought it tasted great.  Remember they are heavy.  Half-a-pound apiece.

For cooking all I have ever heard of hikers taking is powdered milk.  Usually it is premixed with the other dry ingredients. Whomeworry takes sweetened condensed milk to put in his coffee and on his oatmeal.  You may want to try evaporated milk. Just mix equal amounts water and evaporated to get regular milk. 

I would suggest trying a powdered whole milk such as Nestle Nido. I've never tried it but it gets good reviews. 

4:33 a.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yes the Carnation is a good milk powder for adding to just about anything.  Not the same as drinking real milk alone.

The long life carton milks are better for drinking solo but they are heavy as you carry that as liquid.

5:39 a.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

Thanks for ALL the imput...

Yes, I am cooking 90% of the time with it but sometimes it sounds good to drink. I think I will try "Nido" lable.  

8:24 a.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

The "Nido" does taste better than the Carnation, (more butter fat left in it), but you can help the taste a little more by adding coffee creamer to the solution.  Not perfect, but a lot better.  It does take some effort to get it to dissolve. 

9:47 a.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

I can't drink it straight but I mix it with real milk to make it stretch sometimes.  I like the Nestle whole milk for cooking b/c its got more flavor and its cheap. 

10:48 a.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

If you are trying to cook pudding (not the instant garbage) you have to use the whole milk type.

The whole milk type will spoil quicker because of the milk fat in it.  I would put it sealed into a freezer between hikes.

2:14 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

If you can find it theres a brand called Milkman powdered milk which tastes the most like the real thing when rehydrated. I use it or carnation powdered milk. Both last much longer when rehydrated than real whole milks do. I use them in my water bottle on my bicycle when I tour as they don't spoil so fast being out in the warm air and direct sun.

5:58 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Backpacker's Pantry makes powdered milk, It makes a quart. I bought one but haven't used it yet. It was like $4.00 at EMS, which way to much for a quart of powdered milk (any milk really). But it's in a flat, air tight pack just like their foods. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11301624

As far as non refrigerated milks, they used to have them at an office I worked at years ago (fat free, 1%, 2% and whole). They were OK for what it was. As mentioned, the colder the better.

5:59 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick - I find rice milk a bit to sweet. Did that affect your cooking/food? For better or worse?

6:04 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bkuti-I didn't notice much to be honest. Then again I am a "if it doesn't bite back and I don't have to chase it I'll eat it" kinda guy. I think my taste buds are whacky from some of the foods I have exposed them too over the years.

It seemed to work. I hacked a 6pk of that stuff with me. Definitely added a bit of weight. 

6:44 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick - Will you use the rice milk again or stick to powder? Worth the weight?

6:59 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Eh, its kind of a toss up. You have the convenience factor with the rice milk then there is the weight.

Then ya have the powder that ya have to mix but its been pretty flexible in my uses for cooking. 

I definitely wouldn't rule out the use of the rice milk again but at the same time I will definitely utilize powder as well. 

I don't use milk for drinking on the trail. I am water and coffee the whole time I am out.

I utilize the milk for cooking purposes only. So far the rice milk has worked for what I have made on the trail but there may very well be something that I make that the rice milk doesn't work well with. No matter what though I would still eat it even if it tasted bad. 

For me its all about putting nutrition in my body and a dent in the growling of my stomach. 

I have yet to try it being I like my coffee black but the sweetness of the rice milk may be a welcome thing for some, or for dry cereal, oatmeal, etc. Just a thought.

8:55 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I use powdered milk on the trail.  I wouldn't want to drink it by the glass but with Nestle Quick it makes pretty good chocolate milk.   Powdered milk works great for cooking anything that calls for milk. It really makes packing a no cook breakfast easy...a ziplock bag containing powdered milk, a dry cereal high in protein, and freeze dried strawberries only needs the addition of water to make breakfast. I also premix instant coffee with powdered milk at home and just add hot water on the trail and you have coffee with milk. If you are making one of the endless meals of noodles, you can add the powder to the mix instead of skipping the milk and using only water.

Of the shelf-stable liquid milk, Parmalat tastes just like normal milk when chilled.  Avoid Borden, it has a brownish color and tastes just aweful. Great for  car camping but too heavy to backpack with.

7:13 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

for just drinking, add sugar!

and if its before bed, boil up some water, and add some sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon!

5:24 a.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

Nice idea!!

Thanks

10:48 a.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Does sound good!

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply