Wanted: Early Winters' Light Dimension tent pole

2:43 p.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

A Early Winters' Light Dimension tent was just handed down to me. The tent is in excellent condition, but the long pole is broken. Does anyone happen to have one of these hanging around, or have any suggestions of how to repair the pole or alternate replacement ways. I'd love to be able to use this tent. Thanks!

3:33 p.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi Dana J,

Welcome to Trailspace

You were handed a very nice but rather obscure tent.  Not many around will have had one of these tents let alone a pole for one hanging around. 

How long is the pole you have that is broken?  Is justt one section of the pole broken or is the whole thing toast.  A brief description of the damage along with a photo would be helpful in telling you if it's fixable.

Here is a site (below) that replaces lost or damaged poles.  When you get it set up I'd like to see it if you have the time to take som picts.  I myself have the Early Winters single wall geodesic Gore-tex single wall tent called the "Star Ship" and am looking for the Early winters "Omnipotent".  You have piece of outdoor gear history there, have fun with it.

http://www.polesforyou.com/

5:32 p.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Wow, I didn't realize how obscure this tent was. The pole is made from fiberglass and consists of 8 segments, with the two end segments being 11 inches long and the 6 middle sections being around 16 inches long. Only one of the pole sections is broken. It is one of the middle sections that is broken, right near the slide coupling that connects the middle of the pole together. It looks like it was just snapped. The first picture shows the break, and the second shows where it lies in the section, with the right being the middle of the pole.

IMG_20110912_171620.jpg

IMG_20110912_171610.jpg

6:09 p.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey,  It is a really cool tent in and of the fact that I is so old and obscure.  You can probebly fix that pole using a pole sleave that is avaliable at most sporting goods stores.  With that being said the structral integredy is gone from this pole and it willl very likely break again in the future, though you could still get some use out of it by fixing it.   I have some fiberglass pole sections that are 20 in that I could send to you, but you wuld have to adapt them to your needed length.   Even before that, we need to figure out wat size, diameter your poles are.  If you have calipers you will need to measure them.   Here is waht I would recomend.  There is a reason that quality tents now use aluminum poles rather than fiberglass.  Simpley put they are better.  They are lighter, stronger, and have more bend in relation to the strength they retain then fiberglass.  When they made that tent it was right before they started using alum poles. or alum poles had jsut come on the market making them very expensive.  Either way,  I would fix the fibergalss poles so that you have the original set for such a cool tent.  Then, I would recomend that if you can afford it, get some aluminum poles for regular use of the tent.  If you keep using the fiberlass poles I almost guarantee that they will continue ot break, usually under the worst of conditons.  The link I gave yoiu above could do this, you could look for used poles, or get some generic poles of off ebay.

Here are some replacement 8.5 mm alumimun poles on ebay that might work.  I don't know how much pole length you need for your tent but one or two orders of these would work.  And it would be cheaper than using the guys at the link I gave you above.  Hope this helps. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-8-5mm-360cm-Aluminium-Alloy-Spare-Tent-Poles-/110741639378?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item19c8b750d2

12:41 a.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I agree with Apeman, I've used the fellow at polesforyou that he mentions and have been quite please with the results.I thin the main REI store can do things like this...at least they used to when Kelly was downstairs.

I've stayed in a Light Dimension tent a few times. I recall it was a nice tent and think it might be the little brother if you will to the Omnipotent that everyone got familiar with Early Winters on in the early 80's.

Best,

Mazama

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply