Pivetta P-5 Handmade Italian Leather Boots, Mens 11

12:44 a.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

These may be the best-condition Pivetta boots you’ve ever seen. I am the second owner of these P-5s, or “5s,” and they have just around 100 miles on them. As the pictures show, they are just barely starting to show creasing on the outside ankle and forefoot, and indeed, they have only just begun to break in. These are stout boots, made of a single piece of smooth full grain leather. They have a single seam in the back, and a full leather lining. They have a full leather foot-bed; a full-length leather midsole. Vibram-made Pivetta soles and a ¾ length nylon shank. Perfect for hiking, and capable in the steeps.

DSCN0522.jpg

These were manufactured in Italy in the late 1960’s, and imported by the Berkeley Ski Hut during the height of the Yosemite craze. This makes them some 40 years old. The original owner wore them once, forgot about them, and then decided to list them on ebay a couple months ago. Anyways, these are an ideal all-mountain boot, capable of both the approach and the climb; I have personally walked multiple ten mile days in them, and have climbed 5.8 in them. The internal Littleway stitching allows a very closely-trimmed sole, meaning they edge incredibly well. They are perfectly waterproof, all the way to the top of the bellows on the tongue. I have treated them with Obenaufs LP since I received them, and they are in wonderful condition.

DSCN0519.jpg

They are marked “11 B” and they seem to fit true to size. I wear an 11 in most shoes, and, as I bought them through an ebay auction, took a chance on these, thinking all I could do was see what happens…well, I know now they are just a tad too narrow for me. I don’t want to resort to putting them on a stretcher bar. If I had the time/inclination/space to make them my dedicated summer high-mountain rock boot, I might, but my life as I live it precludes my keeping this pair of boots. I guess I don’t really have a “narrow” foot anymore, but thought I’d give these a try. Pivetta’s narrow boots were unique in that they are only made narrow in the heel area, with the ball of the foot staying a normal “D” width.

DSCN0516.jpg

The only way to get boots made like this today is through a custom bootmaker…and I’m going to say that I think, to the best of my knowledge, a person living in the United States cannot buy new, one-piece, full-grain-leather, Italian-made boots. Zamberlan is the closest, but their boots have way more seams than these Pivettas. These boots will last decades—and tens of thousands of miles—with proper care and maintenance. They will be your best friend through the worst conditions, and you’ll never have to worry about a seam blowing out. They may be the last hiking boots you have to buy. 

You’ll pay some $600+ dollars for a pair of Pete Limmer’s boots. You’ll pay $1600 for Van Gorkom’s boots. I would be fool and a moron to offer these up for less than $100. Please understand, they are worth so much more to me—and to anyone with narrow-ish, low-volume feet like me—than $100, but I’m not looking to take advantage of anyone. Accordingly, I will only accept payment through Paypal, for your protection and mine, and can have these boots boxed and shipped within a day or two of your payment clearing. I just let one of the best pairs of boots in the world slip through my hands; don’t make the same mistake…

2:49 a.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

PM'ed you!

12:38 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

These boots are in awesome shape. I wish they fit my flippers. I would have snagged them up in a heartbeat.

Then again Brian is so quick at snagging this stuff up I doubt I would have had little chance if any. ;)

2:29 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ Rick-Pittsburgh :  I'll  get them if they are the correct inside length to throw in the boot mix, if of cource their still avaliable.

2:57 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Those 5s are sweet. Amazing shape for as old as they are.

3:01 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Yes, yes they are.  I would be proud to have those boots placed upon my humble feet.  If I get them and they don't work out I'll offer them up for the money I have into them before trying to sell them else were.  Their just on the edge size wise for me but well see.

4:07 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I hope they work out for ya. Honestly, I cannot imagine finding a boot that is that old in that good of shape unless it was never worn. The leather looks to be in pristine condition. Very, very nice boot.

9:10 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Awesome boot. Apeman your not leavin any boots for the rest of us are ya? If ape doesn't want them I know a size 11 pair of feet that would love em (me!).

9:36 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Jake go ahead and contact pillowthread.  I'm ok, they just looked so nice I thought I'd pick them up but really I have enough boots here to try out for many hikes.  I just got Boot PrOn.  There gunna make someone some mighty fine foot wear, that's for sure.

10:40 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Thanks for all the interest guys...Jake, you're at the top of the list, as apeman has relinquished his spot.

I really didn't expect so much interest so soon, so I should say now that the boots should be ready to ship in a little more than a week. As a last resort, last week I decided to get a new set of orthotics made to see if they might correct this fit issue for me, and they should be arriving in about a week. I'll know a couple days thereafter if anything has changed. Jake, I'll ask you to wait until that time to transfer funds. I apologize for any inconvenience.

7:08 p.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Not an inconvenience at all. Keep us updated on how the orthotics work out for you, if they don't I'd be happy to buy them.

12:18 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

....I wouldn't mind being put in line as a backup for Jake.

Thanks,

Mazama

2:16 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

They're already in Jake's possession. Thanks for your interest!

3:37 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey pillowthread, ya know I really wish ya wore a 12/46. I'm just saying. ;)

4:40 p.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Hey mazama. I am normally an 11 1/2 so there is a chance that these boots may be too small for me. I, like pillowthread, had to take a chance on them, hoping they will fit me. I havn't gotten them yet, but when I do and if they don't fit I will offer then here first as I, and I'm sure pillow, would want them with this community and with someone who will appreciate them.

12:46 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hey Jake..keep me in mind if they don't work out...I'll take dibs on being first in line if that's ok.

Thanks,

Mazama

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply