For Sale: Full Spectra Kelty White Phantom Backpack

12:23 a.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Up for your consideration is the eighth full-Spectra backpack Kelty ever made. You’ve potentially heard of The White Cloud; this one was produced before The Cloud, and in even smaller quantities: The White Phantom. Now, I don’t mean this is the eighth model of full-Spectra packs Kelty produced…This is the eighth pack that rolled off the line, during the first year of production, for the first model pack made of full Spectra, ever. The eighth full-Spectra pack Kelty ever made…you might even call it a pre-production prototype (more on this later…).

DSCN0656.jpg

I hate to have to sell it—I’d keep this pack forever if I could—but the torso is just a bit short for me. This is a fixed-length torso pack which was originally advertised to fit a 16”-19” torso. Well, I’ve got a 19.5" torso, and I thought it might work, but it's ever-so-slightly short for me. The belt and shoulder straps are absolutely perfect for me, I’m just a bit tall. For reference, I’m 6’-1”, and 165lbs. If you’re 6’ tall or shorter, this pack will likely fit you wonderfully.

DSCN0655.jpg

This pack belongs in a museum, and, barring its destruction through use, it will be in a museum some day. Until then, however, it is going to make someone very happy. This is still one of the finest Alpine packs one can buy; at least equal to the best offerings from McHale and CiloGear. It is in my opinion however, better than those packs due to the fact that only the Phantom uses all-Spectra construction: everything from the backpanel, to the shoulder strap lining, to the hip-belt is Spectra. Even the webbing is Spectra. Every stitch of thread is Spectra. No other pack manufacturer can claim this. The only things on this pack not made of Spectra are the metal stays, the plastic framesheet and buckles, and the foam padding. Spectra is an especially unique fabric for pack construction because it is functionally indestructible. It is the most durable, hard-wearing fabric available: it is even rodent-proof! That’s right…fully secured, this is a rodent-proof pack. The now-ubiquitous food-stealing chipmunks can be blissfully ignored when you use this pack. Additionally, it is extremely resistant to UV degradation, extremely water resistant, nearly stain-proof (really, you just wipe it clean with a wet rag), and it floats!

DSCN0657.jpg

For additional information on this spectacular pack, check out the following page: http://www.weasel.com/gear_kelty_spectra.html#phantom_1998. In it, you will see that the first model of pack they list, chronologically, is the White Phantom (1996 model), and even those are younger than the one I’m selling, as is evidenced by the non-spectra backpanel/straps/hip-belt, and different-colored compression straps. You will likely never see a backpack like this again, because this may be the only one of this type still in existence; every single picture I’ve seen of another White Phantom  looks like the ones in the link, so when I saw this one, I knew it was quite unique indeed (and I like the color blue, so…).

DSCN0659.jpg

The bottom and lower rear of the pack feature a double layer Spectra construction (unlike the packs referenced in the above link). The area around the top drawstring is doubled as well. Every single high-stress area is bar-tacked. Packs like this helped coin the term “bomb-proof”. This pack is some 16 years old, and it looks nearly new. I am the second owner; the original owner bought it for a Denali expedition, did a training hike with it, and then the trip fell through. It sat in his closet for the next 16 years. I bought it from him a few months ago, took it on a weekend trip, and immediately realized it was a bit short for me.

DSCN0666.jpg

The pack’s design is fairly Spartan: Aside from the main compartment, there is a zippered lid compartment, and that’s it. There are three webbing straps that circum the pack at the top, middle, and bottom to allow for both additional gear storage and compression. Another webbing strap under the lid secures a rope, pad, or whatever else you want to have close at hand. Two vertical Spectra daisy chains allow for even more lashing points, in addition to myriad other attachment points. The capabilities of this pack are only limited by your imagination. The capacity is about 70L, or 4500 cubic inches, and the compression system gets it down to maybe half that. It weighs about 2-1/2 lbs. empty, which is downright stupid-light for a pack of this capability.

DSCN0660.jpg

The pack is in nearly-new condition, with just a few marks on the pack bottom from setting down on the ground. Otherwise, there are no holes, rips, tears, stains, or anything on this pack. When I received the pack I was not happy with the density of the open-cell foam backpanel, so I removed it and replaced it with a sheet of 3/8” Plastizote foam perfectly cut to match. The backpanel is now removable, to be used as a sit pad or emergency bivy pad. The single, pre-bent vertical stay is removable, and can be further adjusted to perfectly fit your back. This pack is certainly the best example of these early Kelty packs that I have ever seen, let alone had the pleasure to own.

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0667.jpg

So, before you go spending a couple thousand dollars on a “full” Spectra McHale, or $1500 on a “full” Spectra Cilo Gear, please do yourself a favor and consider what I have here. You will not be buying this pack for what it’s worth now; you will be buying it for what it is, and for what it will be worth in the future. Accordingly, I will not currently accept less than $800, plus actual shipping, for this pack. Please do not embarrass yourself with low-ball offers. You know you want it, and you know what it's worth. In five years, this pack will be worth double what I’m asking. For your safety and mine I will only accept payment by PayPal.

If you have any questions, need clarification, or want to see additional pictures, please let me know! I want to make sure you know exactly what you’re getting! I have done my best to represent this pack accurately, and want to make sure you feel the same. With any luck, someone from the Kelty family will see this and chime in with additional information, and/or correct anything I may have misconstrued (as my knowledge of these packs is largely based on the above-referenced website…and info I’ve gleaned here on Trailspace).

Note: Items shown with the pack (including the cuben shoulder-strap pockets) are not included in this sale, and are shown only to impart a sense of scale. Thanks again for looking!

12:54 p.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Incredible offering, PT! Too bad it's too short for me as well... (19.75" torso)

7:34 p.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

The length is perfect for me and I am curious as to the size of the waistbelt and shoulder harness as I am short, but, big and burly. Would this comfortably fit a 48" chest and "middleaged" waist?

Also, would there be any alternative to Paypal as I have not the slightest idea of how this, or, most other computer sales work and I pay by money orders even when I order gear from 'Yurp or "Merrye Englande".

I am interested and could probably do the deal in late January, if, it does not sell prior to then, but, the above considerations must be met for me to spend the cash.

9:04 p.m. on December 16, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

My Kelty Cloud 4500 Lg seems a bit different from the ones described and pictured in the link. Jim S, who used to post on RCU and RBU, as well as the successor Trailspace, has another Kelty Spectra, though I forget the model. Great pack, extremely light when stripped to the basic bag (just over a pound), lots of versatility. But at maximum capacity, it was a bit small for my expeditions. One thing that does not jibe with the link - I bought it March 2002. The photo in the link for the 2002 version of the 4500 shows a different type of side pocket, plus a few other differences. The photo was taken in Crown Valley on our "luxo-light" 3 day hike a month or so later. I had the pack stripped to just the main bag for that trip, so none of the outside add-ons.

byJimShawCrownValley.jpg

An amusing story, which I have recounted on Trailspace before, involves Jim's and my white packs on this trip. We had stopped by a stream to replenish out water. Since it was at a ford, which we knew was used by packers, we were filtering the water. Sure enough, a packer with 2 clients and a horse loaded with gear came to the ford from the opposite side. The packer had gotten about halfway across when his horse pulled up short. The packer worked to calm the horse, telling us to move the white packs out of sight. Seems the horses (the others were starting to react as well) thought the packs were some sort of predator, lying in wait. We moved the packs behind some rocks, and the packer, clients, and horses were then able to cross, though the horses still acted a bit nervous. Jim and I wondered afterward what the horses would have done if there were a snowbank there beside the creek (it was early enough in the spring for there to still be some snow in shaded areas).

Dewey, the waist belt on my Cloud 4500 is 7 (near the buckle) to 10 cm wide (at the center of the wearer's back), 75 cm for the foam padding, with 18 cm extension of the adjustable section to the buckle at each side to the 5 cm wide (closed) buckle, or a total of about 116 cm around the belt at full extension (46 inches or so).

7:59 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I will give you my child.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply