WTB Coleman Apex II stove

12:26 a.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Looking to buy a Coleman Apex II unit in good condition with no issues.  Must be reasonable!  Maintenance kit and kerosene generator if available are highly desirable.  Please PM if interested.  I want it for my permanent SUV stove and to use for day excursions or to back up my Primus.

10:44 a.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Which model are you looking for? I have a model 445A700 apex II I would consider selling. Its in great shape with no issues. I have the maintenance kit but no kerosene generator. Ive had it for years and have no idea how much it is worth. Im pretty sure its a 1997 model. Make me a offer. Im not really wanting to part with it, but for the right price I would let it go to someone who would use it. Ive had to replace it with something lighter. My knee surgeries made me shave weight or get out of the woods, or I would still be using this stove. Thanks, Mark

11:09 a.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I just spoke with coleman trying to see what the differences between the 450 and my 445 model. They told me there was no difference only the model number. Doesnt really make sense to me but I had her check a few parts and they both take the same replacement parts. The 445a700 is newer and replaced the 450a700. Thanks Mark

5:42 a.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello, Mark

I am a user who takes care of his things and appreciates their worth, thus, if we made a deal, your stove would be well taken care of.  Sorry to hear of your physical problems and trust you will still be a presence in the woods.  These stoves. if well maintained generally sell for about half of the retail price of the day, which averaged $70.00.   I've budgeted $35.00 plus shipping to buy one.

Coleman told me the Apex I was dual fuel, while the Apex II included a generator to burn Kerosene.  Other than that there were no differences in the stove.  The Apex II model had their fuel canisters recalled (in a certain part number range) because of leaks that made the stove a firebomb.

Thanks, Alex

11:42 a.m. on February 22, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

wildhorse said:

The Apex II model had their fuel canisters recalled (in a certain part number range) because of leaks that made the stove a firebomb. 

Yipes!  I don't suppose you know which number range?  (I've got an Apex II and two canisters).

HJ

Adventures In Stoving

12:33 p.m. on February 23, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

This is the reply I received from customer support.  If you do a search re: Coleman Apex Stove problems, you will find a number of responses reporting the following issues:

*Pump housing cracks (unknown cause)

*Fuel line cracks (cheapo fuel line turning brittle)

*Fuel bottle thread leaks (unknown cause)

If the fuel line cracks while the stove is burning, just imagine the fireball.  There have been several credible instances of this occurring.

Reviewers cite that the stove is really, really good and goes from simmer to full throttle easily, adjusts to the ground well, and in overall is a gem...EXCEPT for the fuel line and fuel bottle thread problem.  I just bought a brand new one and will see how it goes.  Several guys have replaced (articles on the Internet with pics) the el cheapo fuel line with an automotive line, replaced the fittings and voila!  A new stove with better performance and reliability.  They suggest making the fuel line much longer (14"-16") than the too short factory line.

It seems Coleman is missing the ball by not redesigning and reintroducing what was in actuality a really fine product.

Hope this helps APEX stove users...Call Coleman for more details.

COLEMAN CUSTOMER SUPPORT NOTIFICATION - BELOW

The Apex I stove, model 450-700 & Apex II stove, model 445A700 had a recall on the fuel bottle, a concern of the bottle leaking at the threads. Those bottles involved in the recall are stamped "1-96"on the bottom of the fuel bottle.
I would suggest you have the seller check for the stamped date on it first. If in deed it is a recalled fuel bottle, we can replace it, after receiving proper proof of that and proof of it being destroyed.

Thank you,
Christy
Coleman Consumer Service

11:59 p.m. on February 23, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Thanks!  Mine are 1-91 and 1-94, so I'm good.  I appreciate the info.

Looks like Coleman has pretty much given up on backpacking type stoves.  Their website now lists only the Fyrestorm Ti.  With respect to the Fyrestorm, I bet they've discontinued production and are just selling existing stock.

HJ

Adventures In Stoving

9:27 a.m. on February 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

You are welcome.  It is sad to see such an iconic company like Coleman go cheap and ignore customers.  I recently bought one of their double burner expedition (9730 model) stoves they dumped even though they do not make the Powermax canisters for it.   Why?  Because it really is an outstanding product and I will buy an adapter for it so I can use it.  BTW, scalpers are selling the Powermax cans at outrageous prices, when you can find them.

I've had an engineer look at the Apex II fuel line from a friend's stove (fire balled on him) and he said that this problem could have been solved if Coleman had used a proper fuel line to begin with.  So, instead of fixing it at their end, they just dumped the entire line.  They dumped the Xtreme and Xpert stoves, too, leaving these users high and dry.

Moreover, in case you haven't noticed saavy users are buying up "vintage" Coleman stoves and lanterns because of better build quality and they are going like hotcakes, selling more used than for new.

Here's the bottom line as it has always been.  I will go with the product and not the company.  So, Coleman take note.  I just bought two Kovea Moonwalker stoves.  Why?  Because of outstanding build quality and because they stand behind their customers.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply