Wanted/Collecting old stoves, white msr pump

12:48 a.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Hello, new here, I do post on Thelightweightbackpacker, BPL, TheBackpacker, Classic Camp Stoves, used to post on HighSierraTopix, so I am a known person.  Yes, that is a good thing, using the same online name and I'm sure I know a few members here.

Looking for old stoves, a model 9A and a white pump made by MSR.  The 9A is the last older model I need to complete my collection, although I can pass along any other old MSR stoves to fellow stovies and have done so.  I just picked up a Optimus 11 Explorer, a neat silent burner stove.  I use Paypal.  My email addy is in my profile, so don't spam me as I just delete those.

Thank you,

Duane

3:07 a.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Duane, you are the most persistent guy I know.  When you get that white pump, I have half a mind to make the drive up to your place just to see the darned thing (and your Model 9, 9A, G, GK, X-GK, etc. stoves).

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

1:27 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

HJ,

DF, Super Fly, Int'l, WL, 22, 22B, Campingo, 11 Explorer,...........................

I need a 9A. :(

Duane

2:19 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I was just limiting myself to the XGK line.  Sounds like you've got the entire line -- Hey, you do have one of those new-fangled XGK-EX's don't you?  :)

How about the WindPro II?  Nice stove.  Similar to the RapidFire.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

3:29 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
121 forum posts

Hi Hikin Jim,

Any interest in a Svea 123 that is in perfect working order with a nearly new vaporizing tube and spare parts. Purchased in 1972 at the Wooden Nickel in Flemington, NJ.

-NK

4:01 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

HJ, no, my newest MSR is the Dragonfly.

2:07 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I have a 9A and the original MSR newsletter/instructions that went with it. The original white pump died and MSR replaced for me but I was not smart and let them toss the old pump. The 9A still quite useable and in fact was my main ax on a winter outing last year.

Best,

Mazama

6:02 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

hikerduane said:

HJ,

DF, Super Fly, Int'l, WL, 22, 22B, Campingo, 11 Explorer,...........................

I need a 9A. :(

Duane

Nice lineup.  In my dreams I find a 22, 22B and, or an 11 in a thrift store.  Of course I'd also like to find an Optimus 9 as well as the MSR lineup and while I am dreaming big and in color a KAP Arctic.

7:17 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I'm right there with you Alan; I can picture myself popping open a grungy Coleman suitcase to find a pristine 22 with flower petal pot supports... Hey, I can dream.

10:55 a.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I want one or actually two of the Optimus 111, I think they were called, the big. blue boxed single burner stoves from "the good old days". I was always going to buy these and somehow never got around to it and am now sorely in need of them.

If, anyone has these and in minty shape, I will gladly buy them if you wish to sell.

4:00 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I have four 111's of different models/ages, 3 Optimus and one rare Primus.  So heavy but soooooo cool. 

Mazama, if that 9A needs a good home, I know where it would be in good company. :)

Duane

3:29 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

alan said:

In my dreams I find a 22, 22B and, or an 11 in a thrift store.  Of course I'd also like to find an Optimus 9 as well as the MSR lineup and while I am dreaming big and in color a KAP Arctic.

You guys are making me drool.  :)

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

2:52 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Did you see the new thread about stoves being sold?

3:16 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
898 forum posts

Dewey, I have a 111C that I use for my canoe trips, it is a great stove, with the silent burner. However, it is not as hot as the 111A or the 111B. The 111C has been discontinued in favor of the 88+, is available through Brunton and A & H Enterprises in California. Despite the number change, the 88+ is a 111 with the Nova burner, so it is very hot. These are great stoves, stable and reliable for month long trips.

I've been looking for Phoebus, 725 or 625, in good shape if anyone knows of one.

3:51 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Gary, yes I did, all over that.  I understand the 111C are prone to cracking.

Duane

12:04 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Really?  111C's crack?  I hadn't heard that.   Is it the burner assembly?  Fuel line?  Tank?

One of these days, I've just got to fire up a 111T on alcohol, just to say that I did it.  :)

HJ

2:11 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

HJ, is was mentioned over on CCS, the burner can crack.

Duane

Follow this link to bajabums comment.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/25104/

2:17 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how much a Kap Arctic is worth?

I live in Sweden/Kiruna the town where Gunnar Finn lives, the inventor and maker of Kap Arctic. I have come over two of his stoves, one with the Patria burner and the other with a Hipolito burner. It is not easy to get hold of them, I have tried many times but not succeeded until just recently.

The Patria burns fantastic, but the Hipolito needs some tuning, but then it belonged to an old military officer who has used it in the field.

/Karl

2:20 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have been thinking of putting up one on ebay.co.uk but maybe if I find another one.......

They are just so wonderful, I don´t know if they can be separated from each other.

3:58 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Those outta fetch a nice price.  The Kap Arctic is a nice setup.  I've given some thought to setting up a stove like that, but when would I use it? I can do other things that are much lighter.

Duane

6:13 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Matkamies said:

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how much a Kap Arctic is worth?

I live in Sweden/Kiruna the town where Gunnar Finn lives, the inventor and maker of Kap Arctic. I have come over two of his stoves, one with the Patria burner and the other with a Hipolito burner. It is not easy to get hold of them, I have tried many times but not succeeded until just recently.

The Patria burns fantastic, but the Hipolito needs some tuning, but then it belonged to an old military officer who has used it in the field.

/Karl

I haven't seen a real KAP Arctic come up on eBay for a while.  They are quite sought after.  If they are in good condition, they should fetch possibly $200 USD/€150 EUR or more, each.

If they need repairs, BlueWater Stove Restoration is very good.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

9:19 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I've never seen a KAP Arctic other than in photos.  Let us know if you post the stove on ebay, I would love to watch the auction.  The stove will likely sell for an amount beyond my means.

10:55 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I located a inexpensive Optimus 11 Explorer a month ago from a private party. Cool.

Duane

7:11 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Gammla-dia-1988-527.jpg

Saw that the KAP-Arctic still is discussed among outdoorer. My dad Gunnar Finn, based on long experience of climbing and ski touring,developed the KAP-Arctic. The combination of Trangia windshield and power of Optimus silent burner is probably not the lightest stove but surely your best companion when rough windy weather hits you. Unfortunately the production was shut down due to problem with supply of burners. Allthou we still have parts for the stove and can help out with restoration if needed.  Jonas

7:37 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Jonas-for some reason your text didn't show up when you posted-just the picture. I saw it when I clicked on the picture, so I cut and pasted it into the post. If I hadn't clicked on the picture because I was curious why it was by itself, I never would have seen the message.

7:50 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I wouldnt know one classic stove from another on sight im sorry to say. I do have something to add I think. My wife works in a large, high volume thrif

7:55 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Sorry im on my phone and touched the dang screen. Thrift store. I have her on the lookout for any old stoves, I plan on PIFing any I find. She cant purchase until the third day, but I will post the store name and location if you live in the NE you can grab it first. If a classified is posted I will make sue the op gets dibs.

10:18 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Jonas, thank you for chiming in.  Many like your setup, I backpack, so I look for and use more compact equipment.  Maybe someday.

hotdogman, thank you for thinking of me.

Duane

6:38 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks Tom!

I don't know what I did wrong! Suddenly all my text disappeared. Will update my profile.

Duane! I also backpack alot. For that reason, me and dad developed a prototype KAP-Light. But it never came out on the market due to the problem with burner supply. All would fit into a Trangia pot.

Jonas
Kap-light-2.jpg

9:49 a.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Jonus, thank you for posting here.  I love the KAP Light, that is a great idea for less demanding conditions.

Have you posted on this website?   www.spiritburner.com

There are a lot of stove collectors on that website who would love to see a photo of the KAP Light.

8:40 p.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I'm not sure if there is a photo of that on CCS.  I was trying to get all the parts, but am held back by the burner, I do not want to remove a burner from one of my 111's.  A 11  Explorer may be as close as I come which I located this winter. :)  Back from a bp trip close to home, used my user MSR FireFly and a Coleman Exponent F1 Power Boost stove.  Happy with the btu output of both.

Duane

5:41 p.m. on June 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thans Alan! No, this is he first time ever the KAP-Light have gone public.

1:10 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I located another model 9, still would very much like to get a white pump.  HJ if you are still available, I can pass it on to you as promised.  Sam needs one too.  Or not.

Duane

9:17 p.m. on July 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I recently received two MSR Newsletter & Catalogs, issue 11 & 12 which show a couple of the early stoves, unlike anything we pieced together before.  Looking for any other documentation or saved resources anyone may have, depicting the old MSR stoves.  I also received the parts kit to the 9-A.   Of course still looking for a white pump.

Duane

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply