Wanted: Sub 6lb tent for two plus a dog

7:59 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I'm looking for a tent that will fit me at just over 6ft, my 5'6" girlfriend and her medium sized mutt. I think a large 2p or a lightweight 3p would do it. Id like to keep the weight around 5lb and the price reasonable.

9:19 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

MARMOT LIMELIGHT 3? Not overly heavy and a good amount of room. Offers?

10:51 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

A bit heavier than I was hoping for, but what kind of condition is it in?

5:37 a.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Yeah you did say sub6, but it doesnt feel that heavy to me. The tent is in perfect condition, only used twice. I can send pics if your interrested. I really like it, but I need other things a little bit more right now. Would definatly recommend it. Look one up, theyre pretty cool. It has alot of nice features. Asking $150 shipped. Thanks man.

8:53 a.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

A new Lynx Pass 2 is about the same size and over a pound less for $199, I think I would go with that first. Sorry, I think the Limelight is just too heavy for the money. I'm willing to pay more than $200 if it saves some weight on the Big Agnes, but unless something like that comes along I might just get the Lynx Pass.

2:37 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Try the Golite Shangri-la 3    

www.golite.com/tents

Shangri-La_3_Tent_Bundle_Evergreen.jpg

Shangri-La 3 Tent                        $299.00

Combining the Flysheet and Nest, this versatile, ultra-light backcountry tent holds off the elements while providing enough room for three (or a friend and your canine companion). Components can be used together tent-style, or separately depending on conditions.

4 lbs 5 oz. | 1.97 kg

I have used one of these tents and they are very good,light for size and would work well for you. I am 6'7" tall.

The center pole can be removed and a loop on the top of the fly used if theres a limb to tie it to.

7:44 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

+1 on Gary's suggestion for the Shangri La3. If you are looking lighter, then the Shangri La2 is a great shelter at 45Sq ft.

9:32 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

It looks like I couldn't lay down in the Shangri La without my head and feet both touching the inside mesh. Is this the case? I have a long down bag and worry that my feet will get wet and the mesh will be an inch from my nose.

9:57 a.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

May I ask what climate you plan to use the tent? High winds, rains, snow, or dry, stormless, warm? Differant design tents for differant weather conditions. And remember that the slope of the walls. Walls like a A frame tent give you less useable floor space than a modifide style dome tent. A A frame that list its floor space at 50 sq ft, can have less useable space than say another tent whos walls go straight up that has a floor space of say 35 sq ft.

With a dog along I think that I wouldnt go with a single wall tent. I could see the dog touching the wall in a rain storm.

10:41 a.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just looked at the Lynx Pass 2. Looks like what I would pick for 2 and a dog.

11:26 a.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

The rainfly extends far enough from the tents edges to keep you dry and I am 6.7 and sleep in it very well.

7:49 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I'll be using it mostly in KY, OH, TN and PA on weekend trips, with a small portion of the AT next year. Nothing too extreme, just casual backpacking. I'm weight conscious, but not an ounce counter. I will be carrying a good portion of the weight for two, so saving a pound or two is important. I'm also concerned about gear being damaged by the dog, but realize that that may be inevitable. If I can't get her out of the bed, I won't be able to get her to sleep outside the tent.

9:54 a.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Is it a big dog? you might want to go with a 3 person tent. And cover the floor of the tent too.

4:00 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

The dog isn't too big, about 35lbs. I've looked into a bunch of 3p tents, but the dimensions on the Lynx Pass are about the same as most of them. I really need to see tents set up, but selection in Cincinnati is limited. REI is opening in Indy in a few weeks, I'm hoping they have a decent number of options so I can get in and see what's what. If I could find a used ultra light 3p that might be an option, but my current budget doesn't allow for spending upwards of $300 for the extra room. I also have some concern about how much space the tent will take up in a pack, as I have a GG Nimbus Trace and my girlfriends pack is slightly smaller than that. The dog will carry her own food and water, but that's about it. Anyone looking to get rid of a gently used sub 6lb 3p?

4:58 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If ya don't have a problem with a single/double wall hybrid you can snag this up. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sierra-Designs-Baku-3-Ultralight-Tent-3-men-3season-/200475052468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ead3e89b4#ht_1029wt_1185

Its light plus with the design ya don't have to worry about the inside getting soaked while you are setting up in a wash out. 

4lbs 13oz and still has a 70D floor. 

Thought it may be an option for ya. There are all kinds of tents on ebay at the moment.

Here is a Nemo Espri 3p for $279.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nemo-Equipment-Espri-3-Person-People-Man-Ultralight-Backpacking-Camping-Tent-/220938275663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3370f28b4f#ht_2000wt_905

5:29 p.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said: "I could see the dog touching the wall in a rain storm."

taylorir said:" If I can't get her out of the bed, I won't be able to get her to sleep outside the tent." 

If you don't let her in the tent then you won't have any problem's with letting her sleep inside the tent.  What better use of a floorless vestubile that for a sleeping dog.  If you leave the door open but the screen closed then you will be sleeping right beside your dog but will not need a three person tent.  My dog Mogh is not allowed in any of my tents anymore unless I'm using one without a vestibile.  When the weather is nice Mogh sleeps outside just beside the tent.  He is a guard dog after all.

taylorir said: "The dog will carry her own food and water, but that's about it."  A thirty five pound dog should be able to cary it's food/ water and a light blanket/bed roll.  I use either a light roll up bed roll for Mogh if it's going to be dry and a older 3/4 thermarest when it might be wet.

I your looking for a lot of space and the least amount of weight for the least amount of money then I would look at one of the tee-pee style tents like some above have been talking about you can add a bug shelter to them and a floor as well so that you have many options at manydifferent times of the year and for differing needs. I just bought a Mountain hardwear Kiva use this past summer on Craigslist for $60 I believe.  There is the Golite series of Shangri La as have been mentioned above as well as the Sierra Designs Origami series.

Below are picts of moghs beds.  Both were obtained at my local Goodwill for $4.99.
DSC05327.jpg

As you can see this insulated fleece blanket opens up and is rather large.  Since it was designed to be a picnic blanket it is water proof and insulated on the bottom.  Mogh is plenty large enough to carry this but a 35 lb dog would only need 1/4 the size.  If you were to cut one down it would weigh less than 1/2 which your dog should be able to handle that amount of extra weight.
DSC05328.jpg

Here is a close up  of the insulated side.  The tag that came with this item was indicates that you'll be able to find this at www.picnicgift.com Here is the fleece blanket in the picture and another one they sell on this link.  I did not see any prices. 
http://www.picnicgift.com/PicnicAccessories.aspxDSC05329.jpg

Here are two used but what appear to be in very good condition Sierra Designs Origami 4's on Portland's Craigslist.  The first one is $180 but I would make an offer the second does not have a price listed but you can play the two against each other and maybe come up with a great tent for a really good deal.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/2871962295.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/spo/2871963409.html

Disclaimer:  I do not know either of the posters with the above tents.  Your always taking a chance when sending money on Craigslist.  With that being said I have never been ripped off and have only  twice have recived items in condition other than described in the hundreds of dealings that include the shipping of item's I've done on Craigslist.  If you decide to go the Craiglist route and have something shipped I would also ask for pictures beforhand.

7:56 a.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have an older model of a Eureka! Apex 2XT (yellow with pole sleeves) that has been upgraded with Easton aluminum poles for sale for $85. It should be under 5 lbs.

P3250004.jpg

Let me know if this is of interest to you.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply