WTB: full Norfolk shooting jacket

9:43 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I have this same classified up on a hunting board or two, but since I know there are some serious thrifters and diggers here, I thought I might as well try here as well.  If you've seen one at Goodwill, Salvation Army, a consignment shop, etc, I'd love to make it worth your trouble to help me out in finding one of these jackets.

I'm looking for a wool, tweed or herringbone, 3 or 4 button, size 40R, full Norfolk shooting/hunting jacket. I'm not looking for anything in perfect condition; actually would prefer for it to have and show its story. I've just started on the hunt for such a jacket, and I thought I might catch someone here who had one collecting dust in a closet or inherited one they don't want. Or maybe someone knows of a store or online shop with one for sale on the inexpensive? (example images below)

PM me if you have anything of the sort and would like to possibly sell it. Thanks.

Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%201_jpg.jpg

norfolk2.jpg

11:10 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I need the same thing for the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour, but in size 42R.

10:39 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

My wife works at the local salvation army. I can put these jackets on her watch for list for you guys. Can u post a pic of the tags? Its easier for her if she has more info, as well as a pic. Mark

10:42 a.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I will definitely keep my eyes open here in Pittsburgh. There are quite a few shops in the area. 

2:15 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

hotdogman said:

My wife works at the local salvation army. I can put these jackets on her watch for list for you guys. Can u post a pic of the tags? Its easier for her if she has more info, as well as a pic. Mark

Those photos are only examples.  I don't think a lot of people know that style by a specific name, Norfolk shooting/hunting jacket, so I wanted to include visual examples to connect with the name.  It's an old, traditional British styled jacket, used when they would be something like grouse hunting.  There were probably countless makers from 1900-1980.  I assume it was once a style offered in every tailor shop in the UK.

Thanks a lot, hotdogman and Rick-Pittsburgh.  I truly appreciate the consideration and offer to watch for them.

these are really my only requisites:

100% wool

tweed or herringbone

3 or 4 button

size 40R

2:18 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gotcha...

2:51 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The style typically involves a belted front, large front pockets and at least a three button front, if not more.  Sometimes the collar stands up and buttons closed as well.

I have heard of the style called Hacking Jackets as well as Norfolk jackets.

3:07 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Zeno Marx said:

I have this same classified up on a hunting board or two, but since I know there are some serious thrifters and diggers here, I thought I might as well try here as well.  If you've seen one at Goodwill, Salvation Army, a consignment shop, etc, I'd love to make it worth your trouble to help me out in finding one of these jackets.

I'm looking for a wool, tweed or herringbone, 3 or 4 button, size 40R, full Norfolk shooting/hunting jacket. I'm not looking for anything in perfect condition; actually would prefer for it to have and show its story. I've just started on the hunt for such a jacket, and I thought I might catch someone here who had one collecting dust in a closet or inherited one they don't want. Or maybe someone knows of a store or online shop with one for sale on the inexpensive? (example images below)

PM me if you have anything of the sort and would like to possibly sell it. Thanks.

Full%20Norfolk%20Jacket%201_jpg.jpg

norfolk2.jpg

The bottom picture looks much like the jackets that officers in the British military wore during WW II.  I will keep an eye out when I'm at the Goodwill stores.

3:08 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts
3:14 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

apeman said:

The bottom picture looks much like the jackets that officers in the British military wore during WW II.  I will keep an eye out when I'm at the Goodwill stores.

The fancier ones have bellowed pockets (probably not the correct name for them), hidden pockets tucked underneath the belt loop apparatus that runs from the back, over the shoulder, and then down the front.  Many interesting, attractive [to me] variations.

see how the belt loop strapping runs down the entire front of the jacket?  they also run down the back and make for a nice look.  They'll put a little wallet pocket behind them in the front that you can barely ever see.  Some have them on each side.  Some only one side.  Some none at all.

2006AL3878.jpg

3:15 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thats only about $590 usd(I think that conversion is right.) Get 2. :)

5:24 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

That's why I'm looking for a beat one.  I won't be posing lamp post to lamp post in Manhattan.  I like the style, but it will absolutely get worn in the field.  I want one to use and abuse a bit.  Admittedly, I'm watching too much Downton Abbey.

5:32 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have seen them over the years. If I remember correctly Cabelas carried something similar years back. They may still, I'm not sure though.

Even if they did still I am sure it would not be cheap. 

7:05 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

A shooting jacket like those are something I've wanted for years. I'm sure I will get one someday :)

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply