About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Moss Olympic Tent (Camden, ME)

5:43 p.m. on October 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Hello, all.  Might need to sell my Moss Olympic tent though I am reluctant to do so.

Camped mostly in Daniel Boone National Forest, Eastern Kentucky.  Pictures forthcoming.

Wondering what prices a Camden-made Moss tent brings these days.  Rarely used, no patches or punctures.  2-3 person all-season tent.

Thanks!

6:15 p.m. on October 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

In all seriousness, a Camden-vintage Olympic with no smells, holes, or sticky coatings will fetch $800 on Ebay easily. USA-made Walrus, Garuda, and especially Moss tents have become status symbols for certain Japanese enthusiasts...My Moss Stargazer & Tentwing combo went to japan last year for $1400.

You're sitting on a goldmine.

6:46 a.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Awesome!  Thank you!  I spent 3 years on Okinawa (before I ever bought this tent).  The Okinawans were especially trustworthy and true to their word; I had no hesitation about leaving my expensive camera gear in an unlocked car anywhere away from military bases.

Any advice on how to advertise and target Japan?  My Japanese is non-existent; English-only.

6:54 a.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

It smells like a Moss tent; no other smells.  Something about 'gassing off' of the rubberized floor coating, perhaps?

The floor is tacky to itself when unfurling, but otherwise does not seem to be an issue.  I've never used talc on it; it doesn't stick to itself that badly.

The tent has has NO holes, zero, none, nada.  I switched to using an Outdoor Research Bivy Sack for the ease, weight, and low-profile of it (and still waterproof), so the Moss Olympic has seen little use.

The Moss Olympic does have one small stain on a panel that is probably only pine tar that I've never tried to wash out.

Again, thank you for helping with your information!

12:03 p.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Here's a photo.
image.jpg

12:04 p.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Posted a single photo of the 1993 Moss Olympic tent. 

12:43 p.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,006 forum posts

Yes, "offgasing" indeed. A sign of PU coating deterioration. Very difficult to prevent on a near 20-year-old tent. To a user of these tents it will not matter much, as the floor can be recoated to like-new condition; to a collector or a serious purveyor of such works of art, the tacky floor will be a major consideration.

If the stickiness is not too bad, you may be able to stop it just by treating the tent with a Mirazyme solution. Either way, your Olympic will not command as high of a price as one without the PU deterioration.

With that being said, the difference might be only a couple hundred dollars. You don't have to do anything special to get the attention of Japanese buyers...just put it on Ebay and they will find it.

8:37 p.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Pillowthread, thanks for the Moss and other tent info. I sent my Moss Stargazer west with my son. I might have to tell him to ship it back east to me since he will not be using it. I will be doing an eBay advanced search on "completed listings."

I do remember touring the Moss factory when it was in Maine. And I know folks who used to work in the Moss factory...

8:10 a.m. on October 19, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I would hold off till spring to sell it. Tent sales on ebay have slowed with the season.

11:57 p.m. on October 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

That, or don't ask 3 times what it is worth :)

Why were you asking $1600, with a tacky floor it was probably more like $500-600 value don't you think?

10:03 a.m. on October 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

You're absolutely correct, and I will heed that advice.  Thank you. (thought I would give it the old college try, though). After all is said  and done, I'm gald it didn't sell.

As the fall camping season draws ever closer, the tent floor will be washed in accordance with Tent Repair's recommendations, which is to wash it with mild soap and water, allowing it to dry thoroughly.

After any last camping trips (which may or may not include use of the Moss tent), the Moss tent's floor will be replaced.  I had no idea the floor was so relatively inexpensive to replace by such a qualified team, so the prospect of selling now grows even more dim.

Some saw my listed price as "three times" its worth, but they speak without knowing what it means to own a Camden, Maine Moss tent.  And apparently they also did not read the previous chat strings.

When spring arrives, and if the mood strikes, I may list it for sale again, but with a new floor I can hardly find the merit for such a decision!  I will, though, find plenty of reason to exercise the tent more often in its next 19 years.

9:58 a.m. on October 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I sold mine one for $ 455 in eBay in peak season. price range was too close to value. even in "like new condition" I thing King2005 is right $500 -$600.

3:49 p.m. on October 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I paid $500 for mine. In perfect condition on the right day with the right two or more bidders they will start to go for silly amounts. With Moss tents I find that it really doesn’t matter with the season as when the price gets really high it's the collectors and not the Backpacker/Hikers that are bidding on the tent. Obviously mint tents bring the best price but with the Moss repair people willing to fix that for $145 it should sell for a good amount in the end. I would guess that $500-$600 is what this tent is worth right now in it’s current condition as well. With the floor fixed you very well might get two or more bidders willing to go after it for even more than it might normally be worth.

7:46 a.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

The collectors do fancy the Camden, Maine tent, don't they?  Of which mine is one.

And, you're right about the selling of it, of course, though I'm ambivalent about selling the tent - which I could do, and then find a fine 4-season tent at $400 or $500, I suppose - but after I have the slightly smelly floor replaced, my Moss tent probably won't be for sale again unless a relative who has inherited the duty of disposing my property has placed it on the market.

In a 'moment of weakness' I decided to put the tent up for sale.  There were no takers, and all's well that ends well, for risking its sale taught me I ought to keep it.

Besides, me and that tent have been places and seen things together, albeit infrequently compared to many others, yet it's hard to part with an old friend, even if it's a simple material thing like a tent.

10:46 a.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Tiger, I have found that once the red material starts to go (as on the floor), it all starts to go or is all about to go, so this can mean the pole sleeves and anything else red might start to feel tacky too? It is just the nature of these materials, and the reason why many companies today don't use this construction.

In any case, I think it's great that you have had fond memories with this tent, and that is what a tent is all about. It is your shelter in the wild, and as all of us have found can be the difference between a awesome trip in the woods even though the weather was nasty, or a sketchy, wet, and miserable time in the woods!

5:56 p.m. on October 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

TirerFang said:

"The collectors do fancy the Camden, Maine tent, don't they? Of which mine is one."

The collectors fancy all the moss tents without exception. There are a few that don't always bring big money like the Mountain Eave for some reason but they still sell to the collectors. But even then, the Mountain Eave III with the frost liner will bring a pretty good amount if one were to sell it. Once you have a Camden tent, if your a collector, then the next step might very well be to acquire the same tent made in Seattle and even after that China. Even the GT series tents bring big money.

With your tent a collector might want one each of the Camden Olympic’s. One with the 'ground-met' floor & the Olympic with the bathtub floor and then the one made in Seattle. That would be three different Moss Olympic tents.

Basically owning a Moss tent is owning very fine, highly regard and very sought after tent.

6:34 a.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Agreed!  The pole sleeves are not coated with the polyurethane, at least on my tent.  But the the same Tent repair company up in Camden, Maine will also create new tent bag, pole bag, and stake bag for what I consider a very reasonable price.

I'm looking forward to having the tent refurbished; it's in fine working condition now, but it will be even better once the odorous floor has been replaced.

6:44 a.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Yes, I agree with you.  Having washed the floor since the eBay selling process began, I can report the odor of the floor is nearly non-existent.  Owing to its age, though, it will be best for all concerned if the good old Olympic gets a new floor and a set of bags.

If I ever again decide to sell the tent, it will be because I am wheelchair-bound (and maybe not even then!), or brain-damaged beyond all hope.  Some may think the latter is the case anyway for having considered selling it at all.

No, I will keep the Moss Olympic tent, and never let it go - to paraphrase the words of the inimitable Charlton Heston - "until they pry the tent poles from my cold, gray hands."

LOL!

5:19 p.m. on October 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks to all.  'Til we meet on the trail, then.  Over and out.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply