New member with Lowa "Eiger" from 1976 Need suggestions on selling

10:40 a.m. on January 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello , I am a new member and found a post from this site back in 2011 discussing Lowa boots. If it had not been for that discussion I would not have found out the model of the Lowas I have owned since late 1976. The pictures are from the Chitna Glacier in Sept. 1977 and a sheep and bear hunt that my partner and I went on. This hunt was 14 days long and the year before was 16 days long. (Did not use them in 1976) I lived in Alaska in the 70s and was a resident and the Chitna Glacier area was open for hunting but it was a flyin only due to remoteness. It is now part of the D2 landbill and has been a Park since about 1978 or 1979.... only subsistant hunting now.  I only used my Lowas while we were on the Chitna Glacier or the river bed below it and I did not wear them for the other climbing or trails as I prefered a lighter and not as rigid design type boot. The boots were excellant for the poor footing on the glacier and the morraines because of their rigid and rugged design.

Ok,,,,sorry about the long post , but now these boots have been sitting in storage in my closet since these pictures have been taken. I believe they are either 10 1/2 or 11 and can't remember . I am looking to sell them but have no idea what they are worth now. One of the laces is broken and retied as you can see in the photos from the old days and they are the originals. I do not know what they would bring and just kinda looking for some direction and if anyone might be interested in them. Those pictures bring back some memories of the assault up the Chitna Glacier 23 miles from where the pictures was taken which is just at the end where the river bed picks up. Any help on this would be appreciated. God Bless, Bill

P.S. Notice the lower picture of day one just after we got out of the bush plane and the picture of me holding the Dall ram at the end of the hunt in the same spot waiting for the bush pilot. 14 days of rugged hiking and climbing and loosing 15 pounds is one way to get the POW look.
Bill-Sheka-Jr-Half-of-Dall-Ram-Chitna-Gl
Bill-Chitna-Glacier-LOWA-boots-1977.jpg
Lowa-boots-purchased-1976-top-and-heel-p
Lowa-boots-purchased-1976-top-inside-pic
Lowa-boot-purchased-1976-front-of-left-b
Lowa-Boots-Purchased-1976-Pic-3-label-st
Lowa-boots-purchased-1976-side-pic-13.jp
Lowa-boot-purchased-1976-front-pic-6.jpg
Lowa-Boot-purchased-1976-Right-side-pic-

6:01 p.m. on January 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Chemvet and welcome to Trailspace,

I believe that these are the same boots as I have in the picture below. I got these of off Ebay in NOS condition for $89 about a year ago +/-. Though these are great boots that will last years and years and can be resoled many many times over, most people in this day and age want products that are lighter but not of the hand built quality of these boots . My suggestion to you is that you wait until the middle of spring and post them on eBay. I don't think you will get near what you think there worth as the boots in the pictures have never been worn (before I got them) and again went for $89.  I can usually get unused or boots worn jsut once or twice boots such as Pavittas's, Lowa's, Alico's, Zamerlian's, Raichle's, etc. for $50-$150 with Lowa's in the lower middle range.  In the mean time you can try to post them on various backpacking, hiking and camping sites. We have a great classified section here at Trailspace that I would post them in for a start.

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

6:51 p.m. on January 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello Apeman,,,, if it had not been for your post back in 2011 I might have had a hard time finding out which models I bought . Thank you for helping me. If I can maybe 45.00 I would be happy. The boots have at least 50 miles on them , mostly on the Chitna Glacier. You can see the end of the Chitna Glacier in 1977 in the one picture of of me in the backpack. The Chitna from what I have heard has now retreated 8-10 miles further back toward the Canadian border. So this picture is only showing the glacier back in 1977 .....I can't imagine it moving that far in retreat. I can tell you it is a spectacular Glacier and very treacherous and dangerous. Anyway these boots are used and glacier wear , but its not that I wore them alot , it is the hard miles that they covered in the year I used them. Almost all of the miles on the boots were on the Chitna Glacier. Do you think I am asking too much or is 45.00 about right? I think the shipping is going to be alittle expensive but it is what it  is. Thanks again for your help. Bill

8:30 p.m. on January 27, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey, Happy if I was of some assistance. I would say that $45 would be a good place to start. I think it'll be hit or miss on whether you sell them or not at that price. I think there most certainly worth the price but again, for the most part, these are not the kinda boots that people are looking for in this day and age. If you can find a guy/gal who had boots like this in the old day's then I think you'll be able to sell them. I just did quick look see and there are quite a bit of newish vintage leather Lowa Boots on EBay with wide variety of prices ranging from $3.99- $400.00.

Glad you had the chance to see the Chitna Glacier back in 77. It's to bad and quite amazing that most of the glaciers are in such fast retreat. I guess ya gotta go see and experience them while there still here. Good luck with the sale of the boots.

8:34 a.m. on January 29, 2013 (EST)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Hi Chemvet (and hello again Apeman!)

A route you might want to go is to try and trade the Lowas for something else that you want/need...

Apeman and I hooked up for a deal 3/4 years ago, and I know I am satisfied (and I expect Apeman is too...)

All the best,

And nice pics!

5:03 p.m. on January 29, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

@ Euphorbia:  Yep, I'm very happy with our trade.  That's one heck of a parka, they don't make them like that any more that's for sure.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply