Sierra Designs tent

2:54 p.m. on January 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I would like to know what the value of this tent might be and if there would be any interest in purchasing it.

I have a Sierra Designs mountain tent that I purchased from the SD catalog in the early 70’s. It's 'old school', external 'A' frame poles on each end and a lot of lines to stake everything down. There is a large screened window that zips from the inside at the rear. The front has a tunnel type opening that 'gathers' to close with a zip screen on the inside. There is a little vent at the top front above the door. I think you can close it from inside by pulling it in and tying it shut. There is no mesh on the tent other than the openings. If you don't think it will rain you can leave the fly off.  The tent is in good condition, with no holes, rips etc.  The underside of the fly doesn’t look shiny like when it was new.  It looks like the waterproof coating had dried out or something over the years.  It’s not peeling off and still seems to be water proof.  I sprayed it with the hose when I set it up last summer and it didn’t leak.  There are no doubt some smudges and wear marks on it but I didn’t see any major defects when I had it set up last summer.  I could check it over if there is any serious interest.

It didn’t come with a ‘footprint’ but I always used a plastic ground sheet under the tent.  The tent floor has a semi-circle zippered opening if you want to use your stove inside because of the weather.

The shock-cord in the poles still works and seems to have plenty of elasticity.  The poles fold in half (maybe thirds, I’d have to check) to make up a package about 18” inches long.  Packed the tent weighs about 7 lbs., if memory serves.

I used it for backpacking and motorcycle camping many years ago. It hasn't been used much in the last 40 years. I set it up in the back yard last summer; my son was going to use it for an overnighter. That's when I took these pictures.

It's best if you have some daylight to set it up. I've done it in the dark and you have to be careful not to trip on the lines.
DSCN9805.jpg
DSCN9807.jpg
DSCN9808.jpg
DSCN9811.jpg
DSCN9812.jpg

7:54 p.m. on January 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Wow! Great tent. Im sure some of the more experienced guys rember these. my fav tent is a newer sd, I might be interested in buying this tent. Let the experts tell us about it , if I can afford it ill make you an offer. You never know it might be worth a lot!

10:08 p.m. on January 31, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

The SD tent is the Wilderness model--the early version (1971-1974) that used the tunnel door as its only entrance.  Had a zippered window in the back, plus a very sleen lightweight coated flysheet (1.2 oz./sq. yd.) in  a cantenary cut.  It came in only two colors at that time--blue or orange.  Retail then was $115.  By 1975, they discontinued the tunnel opening & used a zippered front door.  They also added an additional color of green and the price set at $135 in '75.  Not as famous as its bigger brother, the Glacier, but a well built & designed A-frame tent for its time!

11:13 p.m. on January 31, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the name.  I had forgotten that it was called the Wilderness.  $115 was a lot in '71 or '72 when I bought it. 

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply