WTB: Kids gear for boys & girls.(bags, pads & pants)

11:07 a.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I'm trying to outfit my niece & nephews for an upcoming backpack trip. I'm
afraid if I leave this up to thier parents that they will show up in blue jeans,
flip flops and a large & heavy sleeping bags. But I don't want to drop the
$$ for brand new gear all on my dime either.

If any of you guys have some Kids gear you are willing to part with I'd be happy to buy them from you (I'm not asking for freebies).

Heres is what I need:

1 kids sized backpack around 40L
3 kids sleeping bags (2 boys & 1 girl)
3 sleeping pads
Trekking poles??
Boys hiking pants in with 30" waist & 30ish inseam
Girls pants in 10 or an 8 if the run big.
Boys pants size 14 or 15
Anything else you may think they need.

I'm not picky on the size's so if you have something close let me know.

5:30 p.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

wgonfan:  I know what you're saying about parents sending kids with 'car camp' equipment instead of backpacking gear--it happened more than a few times with my wife's Girl Scout troop!

Are you talking kid-size framepacks or internal frame?  A number of the older kid framepacks like Jan Sport & Kelty had adjustable frames to fit a variety of ages.  Framepacks are easier for strapping on gear.   Used Kid BP Sleeping Bags are more problematic--they will almost always require a cleaning--stains inside the bags should be a red flag!  Foam pads shouldn't be a big issue--we always used the cheap closed cell ensolite pads in the 20"x48" size.  Don't know if you need trekking poles--the girls would have more fun finding a 'stick' along the trail if they felt like they needed a pole.

You might give the ages of your nieces & nephews, that may help as far as gear selection.

9:18 p.m. on February 25, 2013 (EST)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

what is your budget?

I might have a few things...I have been considering liquidating some "overstock" so that I can pick up a few items from MY wishlist.

12:15 a.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

That's for the replies. The kinds I'm looking for gear for are two boys ages 12 and 13 and one 10 yr old girl. My budget is a little tight. I looking at around $30 for the pack and around that much for each bag. Less that $20 for the mats and around $15 for the pants.

For My self, I'm considering a canister stove like a crux to take the place of my whisperlite and a decent pot to help with group cooking.

12:18 a.m. on February 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Fwiw this trip is for me to give the kids some of the experiences I received from scouting. I'd like my son and 2 nephews to join BSA, but none of the moms are onboard because of all the BS that's been in the news. I plan to teach basic first aid and firs starting technics among other things.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply