About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Garcia Bear Resistant Canister

4:40 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Made in the USA.  Shaped to foil bears and wildlife.  Made with tough ABS plastic to make it bite proof and drop proof.  Stainless steel locks which easily open with most flat edges (coin, knife, screwdriver, etc) Used by National Parks.  Holds approx. 6 days worth of personal food. Size: 12" x 8 1/4"

PayPal Payment

Shipping: I will ship, we can communicate the cost since it is usually dependent upon location.

Further Communication: Alptraveler@yahoo.com

2013-08-05-10-07-57.jpg
2013-08-05-10-08-11.jpg

6:11 p.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

PM Sent.

6:11 a.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Sent mess'g to your email re:requested info

7:39 p.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

The picture looks like the original design Garcia. About a year or two ago, I got a letter from Garcia, recalling the original straight cylinder models (both the smaller and expedition versions). The reason given was that exposure to sunlight for the length of time since the last of the original design was made, given the typical usage (number and length of the backpacking trips) would result in the weakening of the plasticizer used in construction of the bear canisters. As a result, if the canister was dropped, subjected to hard usage, or played with by a bear, it could crack.

I had one of the expedition size crack on a scout trip, when one of the older scouts dropped it on the pavement in a trail-head parking lot while getting it out of the trunk of the car. Since it was a crack only, we went ahead and used it on the weekend backpack. On return, I sent it back to Garcia, who replaced it free of charge (except for my cost of shipping it - but then I am in California and so is Garcia, so fairly low shipping cost).

Purchasers should be aware that UV exposure does have a weakening effect. If the canister has been kept inside a pack or stuff sack, the life will be extended by an unknown amount.

7:44 a.m. on August 16, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Thank you for your information, I will look into it. However, the unit I am selling has seen daylight/sun on 1 short trip. The unit was stowed inside my backpack on that trip(until we arrive to camp late afternoon,early eve). Since then, the unit has been stored inside my backpack cabinet and looks as good as new. Like anything else, the sun can be destructive when left exposed for many hours. Again, thank you.

8:46 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Item sold!

12:30 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

How much are you asking for the Garcia canister plus shipping?

Blackfox

12:30 p.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Sorry I now see that it has been sold.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply