WTB 1970's Size large Kelty Tioga Frame

9:14 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

After 45 years and 3000+ miles of backpacking with it, my trusty Kelty pack frame was broken by airline baggage handlers. :-(

I love my pack to death and am hoping that somebody has a good frame they might be willing to part with.

10:35 a.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Jim,

There are lots of good older Kelty packs on eBay. I bought two of them last year for around $28 each.

3:59 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I might have one, but am not certain if the size is large or extra large.  Do you have measurements you can give me and I'll check?

8:13 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

ppine,

Thanks for the info. I've been scouring Ebay for a while now. I found only one pack that was the right vintage and size but lost it on a late bid. Most of the packs being listed are not on auction, but rather just for sale and the ones that are the right size have very clean packs on them and prices above what I am ready to spend. 

PS I realized I can't add/subtract. I've been carrying this pack for "only" 35 years, not the 45 i originally listed.

8:20 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Alan,

The straight line length of my large frame (not including the black plastic caps) is 32.75". The length of an XL frame I have is 34.25". Both are 15.5" wide. 

The key measurement is the spacing between the holes for the clevis pins. My bag requires five per side. The center-line spacing between the holes from the top are: 7", 3&13/16", 6&11/16", 3&5/8".

I've got the bag mounted on an XL frame (from a Serac pack). It is working just fine except the bottom grommet does not have a hole to line up with so I have a cable tie keeping it to the frame. 

Thank you for your offer to help.

Jim

11:02 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Jim, when I get a chance I'll get out the tape measure.  I'll be in touch.

9:46 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Hi Jim,

I pulled out the Kelty collection and I do not have what you are looking for.  My extra frame is an extra large mountaineer, not the massif frame you need for a Tioga.

I have a size large Sonora which is also on the massif frame and the dimensions are as you describe.  Oddly enough the large massif and the extra large mountaineer frames are nearly the same size.  I was confused by this but then confirmed this from a 1976 catalog.

I suppose you could try tapping a drilling a hole in your xl frame to fit the Tioga, though I would not try that myself as I am not the master of the tool shed.

Sorry I can't help you, best of luck finding something.  Patience on ebay is rewarded, I scored my Sonora for about $20.

Alan

10:12 a.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

It is probably possible to repair your old packframe. Find a welder that is good with aluminum.

7:45 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Alan,

Thank you for trying. I'll keep looking on Ebay and hope for the best. 

Happy trails

Jim

8:24 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

I have a super tioga for sale if your interested...

Don't know specs on it offhand and its from the late 80s and not 70s...

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply