Looking for (yet again) any GAZ GT 106 fuel cannisters for Globe Trotter stove

2:09 p.m. on July 5, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Not yet willing to give-up my globetrotter stove, I am looking for any random source of the compact GT106 fuel cannisters. I know that they still do surface from time to time. If you have any available for delivery or pick-up in U.S.A. or Europe, please contact me.

3:54 p.m. on July 6, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

As far as the US goes, when I last talked to Coleman (current owners of Camping Gaz) they have no intentions of importing the 106 canisters again. However, they are available in Europe, where the Globetrotter was a pretty popular seller in years past. The Globetrotter stoves and lanterns were never big sellers in North America, and the appliances that take the puncture-type canisters are no longer manufactured by Camping Gaz (aka Bleuet). The Camping Gaz website does not currently list any of the Globe Trotter appliances, nor does it list the 106 canisters, although it lists 10 different cartridges and cylinders (3 of which are refillable propane types).

One of several reasons for discontinuing the puncture-style appliances is the regulations in many of the European countries that forbid them, for practical purposes. Another reason for Coleman was to rationalize and simplify their line of butane mix appliances (they have 5 or 6 different couplings for canisters). There are enough of the S200 and S206 appliances still out there that there are several suppliers of these. The rest of their butane appliances use variants of the Lindahl-style valve, which can be detached while still containing fuel (270/470 style, industry "standard" screw-on, the Xtreme series, a small canister for table-top burners for picnics that I have also seen in "cook at your table" restaurants).

Several of the Euro camping and climbing gear web-based shops appear to have the canisters, but won't ship them to the US. But maybe others will.

5:04 p.m. on July 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

My understanding of the GT 106 cannisters is they have been discontinued totally, the cannisters in Europe are old stock. My European stove collecting friends say they see a few here and there in shops, but in no great supply and the availability is hit or miss. I got lucky last year and a friend from California found some in a store and sent them to me. They can be mailed via surface mail in the states.

It is unfortunate the 106 has been discontinued. It was a great stove along with the lantern component. If anyone finds any 106 cannisters, please contact me as I am interested. I'm also interested in the canisters for the Rando 360. They are also hard to find. The shops that sell them online want far too much money to ship them.

2:42 p.m. on July 24, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,
I have been out of backpacking for many years now but this week am taking my family up into the mountains. I found my globe trotter 106 and an unused cylinder a YANES MY 196g butane. Can you tell me how to put them together please. It seems like the cylinder is to tall for the unit as the little metal 'legs' don't grab under the cylinder.
What punctures the cannister? Do you just push in down?
Thanks for any help you can be.
CA

5:29 p.m. on July 31, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I might have what your looking for ?? MAYBE ?? If you could send me a pic of your stove with a cannister (ruler beside it would be nice) I'll see if what Im thing about is what you need. You can email me directly for I seldom visit this site.

kelc@sympatico.ca

4:05 p.m. on August 2, 2006 (EDT)

Hi, it is really a bummer that companies discontinue stuff for products that last a long time with good care. I was going to give my Globetrotter stove to a friend to use but found as you did the lack of GT 106 cannisters. I do have one precious cannister left. It's the GT 106 3 1/8 oz. size. I'm checking with the "go" Postal Service to see if it's still legal to ship via ground and if they will ship it reasonably....If that works out...are you interested?

Thanks,

Kathie

4:32 p.m. on August 2, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

It is a shame the canisters are no longer made as the stove was a great idea for a solo traveler. You can ship the canisters if you lable the box properly. The box must be clearly marked "ORM-D Surface Only." If you do this the post office will ship butane canisters for parcel post rates.

4:20 p.m. on August 13, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,
I saw your post in my search for Gaz #106's, but after reading you (and others), and finding out they are no longer made, I guess it's time to buy a new stove. I have one unused cannister if you're interrested. If interrested, I'll send it to you for the cost of shiping. Also, let me know if interrested in the stove. It says "GAZ S2000S" and wonder Corp. of America.
Bill
P.S I live in Tucson, AZ

2:16 a.m. on September 3, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

i have good experience in refiling cv 360 cannister whit ligtergas. jens

3:30 p.m. on September 3, 2006 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Jens, and others who might consider refilling Gaz or other butane cylinders -

Be aware that the neoprene seal in the valve wears with time, as well as aging just sitting there. The companies that make the compressed gas cylinders using these resealable valve warn against reusing them for this very reason. Eventually the valve will no longer reseal, which means the flammable and explosive gas inside will be leaking out. This can be a serious danger. You might be able to get away with it a couple times, but eventually it will no longer seal.

Refilling with the lighter gas refill containers is terribly expensive, much more per gram of fuel than just buying a fresh, new cylinder, so why spend the extra money?

1:03 p.m. on October 20, 2006 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

It seems like someone who is good at metal work with rod stock could rework the "legs" that lock the cartridge in to work with the larger size C 206 catridges. Is that too simple a solution, or am I missing something??

Dubhead

6:59 p.m. on December 9, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm hunting myself for fuel cannisters for my globetrotter. Let me know if you have found a source. I recently dug out my globetrotter to take with me as a backup on a Grand Canyon rafting trip. The cannister had been installed perhaps for three years and was still full! I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only dinosaur...yeah, the new stoves are tricky and cool, but there is something about having that old globetrotter that saw me through so many adventures.

8:20 a.m. on January 24, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Camping gaz produce a modern version of the globetrotter I found them available on ebay in the uk and some camping suppliers sell them exstock they take a modern detachable c270 cannister.... hope this is of use

2:24 a.m. on February 23, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

to fit the canaster on the stove you must unscrew the top cooking unit from the stove legs that hold the canaster. the butane canaster will then fit and the legs will go over the bottom of the canaster. then screw the top burner down into the canaster and it will puncture the canaster.

1:36 a.m. on March 30, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

"It seems like someone who is good at metal work with rod stock could rework the "legs" that lock the cartridge in to work with the larger size C 206 catridges. Is that too simple a solution, or am I missing something??

Dubhead"

That was my plan, but here's what I did in the end: To keep my globetrotter working I bought a taller Gaz stove off eBay that took the 206 cartridge. you will see that parts from a stove using the 206 and your globetrotter can be mixed together to make a functional stove that doesn't quite fit in the cooking pans--but just barely!! I think I flexed and popped the legs off the taller stove and put them on the globetrotter. no tools IIRC.
Matt

12:02 a.m. on May 4, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I bought one of those a couple of decades ago and it's in mint condition with the same canister on it. I wonder if it's possible to rework the stove and attach it to a base that would accept screw on tanks of modern popularity? I'll have to dig it out of the storage shed and have a look.

10:00 a.m. on May 14, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. clinton w chandler

can you send me a pic of cannister your looking for ? I have Gaz stove and lantern and have several cannisters that I found at camping store here in florida.

4:33 a.m. on July 2, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

The last I remember seeing the GT 106 Globetrotter cartridges was in a sporting goods store in Silverton, CO about 2 years ago. Unfortunately when I checked again last summer they had sold out of them. If they can be shipped surface, how about a "Want It Now" posting on eBay?

The rubber cartridge seals on Camping Gaz appliances seem to be very durable. I recently bought an old Garcia Camping Gaz lantern that still had an original butane cylinder attached (probably 30 years old or more) and it worked fine.

10:45 p.m. on July 29, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have an old Bleet stove that has seen me through the years. I bought a big stash of cartridges years ago and it has held me over. Last summer I took out the stove and put a new cartridge on only to have it leak out on the spot.

I believe that the seal has hardened. Any ideas? Can I convert to the newer thread on style?

I was just in Gelnwood springs Co and the local Sports Authority had about a dozen of the old style cartidges in stock, but no stoves to fit them.

2:16 p.m. on July 30, 2007 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Camping Gaz (Bleuet) is owned by Coleman (for several years now). Coleman imports the current versions of the Bleuet stoves, lanterns, and other gear, so you might be able to get the gaskets from them. Since I will be at the Outdoor Retailer Show next week (as will Alicia), I will try to ask at Coleman's booth (Alicia, remind me when we run into each other).

Failing that, a friend told me he had rummaged through the plumbing supplies and found a faucet washer that was the right size. I don't know the size, though. Looking at one, it is a different shape than the faucet washers I have spares of. It has a rounded top, where the faucet washers are either flat or a truncated cone. Also, it has a flange at the base that presses under a retaining rim on the stove-top. If you try a faucet washer, you are likely to have better luck at a local plumbing shop, rather than a big box hardware/lumber/nursery/etc, or maybe even the local branch of one of the Ace or True Valu chains (their stores are basically local shops).

12:26 p.m. on August 13, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I may have about 30 of the canisters. If you send me a picture of the cylinder or any numbers off of what you have I will check and see if they match...

5:54 p.m. on August 19, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi. I have a GT106 canister you can have if you pay for shipping. e-mail me for details. DTKitayama@aol.com

8:39 p.m. on August 20, 2007 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

A CAUTION - shipping of fuel canisters is highly restricted. You have to pack and label them properly with approved packing materials, whether for UPS, FedEx, USPS, or whoever. You may have to have a shipping permit for hazardous materials. In general, you can not just stick a compressed gas canister in a box with some styrofoam peanuts and put it in the mail or drop it off to UPS or FedEx.

Look over on the Backpacking forum for the information I found from my discussions with Coleman (the owner of Camping Gaz) at the Outdoor Retailer Show a couple weeks ago in the thread http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/39362.html, posted August 14 (near the end of the overly long note).

11:51 a.m. on August 21, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Shipping canisters via USPS is much easier than UPS of FedEx. I did a bit of research on this in the past. USPS does not require any sort of hazmat permit or sticker and the rates do not increase as they do with UPS or FedEx.

Canisters must be sent Parcel Post (not priority mail or first class) and the boxes must be clearly marked SURFACE ONLY and ORM-D (big bold letters on all sides of the box). The box should be sturdy and the canisters wrapped in the inside of the box such that they do not puncture easily. I used a sturdy cardboard box and wrapped the canisters in bubble wrap.

Beyond the above there is nothing additional that needs to be done with USPS. UPS and FedEx require $20 hazmat permits on top of the regular shipping costs.

If you spend the time searching the USPS website you will find these requirements, but it took me a bit or searching before I found the answers.

12:00 a.m. on August 22, 2007 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

The USPS regulations on mailing anything are in Publication 601, http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm with the part pertaining to hazardous materials in Section 10. Sec 10.4 is the classification (I didn't know you could mail LIVE SCORPIONS!!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!! Sec 9.3.9). Read 10.12.2, 10.12.3, and 10.12.4 particularly. The limit for compressed flammable gas is 1 liter per mail piece. The whole publication has some very interesting prohibitions on what you can mail. And it says right at the start, anyone mailing anything is responsible for knowing the regulations.

11:25 a.m. on August 22, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

At times some postal clerks do not know all of these regulations. I always bring a copy of the relevant pages of the regulations with me if I am shipping something that may cause an issue at the post office.

9:58 p.m. on August 23, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I love my stove but like everyone I am looking for the GT 106 cannister. Have you found a source, I can't believe with the internet I can't find a supply somewhere. It looks like I am going to have to go stove shopping.

12:53 p.m. on August 24, 2007 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Kurt -
Read my post over under the Backpacking forum about the discussion I had with Coleman (owner of Camping Gaz). Briefly, Gaz has not sent the C100 or C106 canisters to North America in a number of years. They do not manufacture them currently. You may be able to find an occasional small supply of them. Coleman sent their last cases to a university to be used with field bunsen burners. They do not plan to manufacture those canisters in the future (insufficient market - estimate is that there are less than 1000 Bleuet 100 series stoves and lanterns that were ever sold in North America, including those, like mine, that were brought back from a trip to Europe). Even in Europe, the demand is so tiny that they cannot justify manufacturing them from a cost point of view. They are considering a new version, which will NOT be a puncture canister, but have a connector like that on the 270/470 series. Basically, it would be the same size as the 100 gram canisters from Snowpeak, JetBoil, et al, except with the Gaz "push-on" connector instead of the industry standard threaded connector.

You can modify your 106 stove by cobbling up a replacement set of the arms that swing down under the canister to hold the canister, but long enough to fit the C206 (250 gram) canister. That's really the only difference between the 206-series stoves and lanterns and their 100-series counterparts. Obviously, this is not a Camping Gaz approved or sanctioned modification, and you have to be very careful to get a proper fit (otherwise, you will get a huge flame and explosion).

7:47 a.m. on September 5, 2007 (EDT)

What is your price for 6 GT106 Canisters?
Can you ship them to Europe? (USPS)
Thank you for your answer
Jacques

12:42 p.m. on September 9, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I would like to replace the arms of my GT 106 to fit the 206 type canisters. Is the only solution is to buy an old 206 fit stove and take the arms apart, as you mentioned?

Guy

6:14 p.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Jacques, no one here has the 106 canisters, for personal use OR for sale. Read the posts carefully - they are all looking for them as you are. Since they were originally manufactured in Europe, you are more likely to find them there, although the company currently says they have long since gotten rid of all they had.

Guy, there are 2 solutions that have been used - get an old 206 stove and swap the arms onto your Globetrotter (no tools needed, just a bit of strength. Or (2) find some rod stock of the proper size, bend it to shape, and replace the 100-series arms with your own newly cobbled-up 200-sized arms.

8:04 p.m. on October 2, 2007 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have two GT 106 and I'm certainly willing to send them your way. Let me know via email if you still need them either way...Thanks. danielmallah(at)hotmail.com

5:49 p.m. on December 6, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

I've posted my old GT stove and two GT 106 cartridges on Craigslist, all for $20. So far, lots of interest but flaky buyers don't show up. I myself don't want to deal with regulations for shipping compressed fuel, but perhaps you have a friend in Tucson who'd be willing to buy it and get it to you somehow.

4:49 a.m. on February 22, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Just this past weekend I unearthed my Camping Gaz globe trotter stove (perfect for bike touring) and discovered the same problem that everyone else has already encountered. No cartridges. I did purchase mine on a trip to Europe and, like many of you, am not wanting to give it up. Good luck everyone.

6:58 p.m. on February 24, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

HI, my husband and I just moved to a new house and in the cabinets we had found a lampe GT by Wonder. I was reading here and they do not carry the cartridge in the US correct? If someone has one they might want to sell please respond.

Thank you

3:52 p.m. on February 25, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

They don't carry the cartridges anywhere in the world. Any that are found are old stock someone found gathering dust somewhere.

Someone should forward this link to Coleman, they may get a clue that some demand is out there.

7:39 p.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

REI has (had) them last time I was by one of their places. I bought half a dozen at the time. They are readilly available all over Europe for about a third the price. I packed six of them in my checked luggage but they were gone when it got here to the US.

7:42 p.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Coleman Customer Service will send you a replacement Coleman Butane stove that fits their fuel canisters if you call them and complain about not being able to get GAZ fuel. They bought GAZ to get the patent on the quick disconnect used on the GAZ 306 canisters to use on their fuel canisters then they stopped making GAZ here. They are still being made in France (or at least last time I checked)
Jim

10:49 p.m. on April 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have one canister with no use for it.

Stoughton WI

4:42 p.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I believe I have 2 Coleman cannisters which were distributed by Coleman Canada back in the late 1970's. They are marked Jet Gaz-Butane and were made in Paris France. These are available to anyone who could use them if they are the 106 type being sought. I have lost the stove for the cannisters so I want to dispose of the cannisters or obtain another stove. I done know the stove name. It was sold by Coleman and had a gasket which clamped on the top of the cannister and pierced the top with a needle which started the gas flow. The cannister is 5" in diameter across the base and about 4" high and has a low nipple on the top about 1-1/2" wide. Because I live in Vancouver B.C. there might be a problem getting these cannisters to someone in the USA.

7:42 p.m. on June 3, 2008 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

onyx -
Those are the 200 or 206 canisters, not the 106. The difference between the 200 and 206 is the gas mixture - 200 is pure butane, 206 is 80% butane plus 20% propane. The puncture-type stoves and lanterns of the 206 series are no longer made, but many thousands of them are around. So the canisters are still being made in France, SE Asia, and Slovenia.

And you are right - shipping gas canisters is a bit of a problem, as with any hazardous material. UPS, FedEx, and other shippers can help you with the packing and labeling, though, but the cost may not be worth it for just 2 canisters. You can probably find someone in the Vancouver area that can use them if you go to a few of the outdoor shops.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply