Hundersdorf Water Bottles

8:21 p.m. on April 14, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Does anybody remember the Hundersdorf Water Bottles? They were around before Nalgene became a household word. They were a polethylene wide mouth bottle with a large screw on cap that had gnarly ribs that you could grab with winter gloves or those Dachstein boiled wool mittens we used to wear. They made all sizes ie: liter and smaller sizes to carry cooking oil and the like. When I had my backpacking shop in Idaho I used to get them from Libery Mtn Sports or A-16, even Campmor carried them at one time...but now I haven't seen them anywhere. If anybody knows what I'm talking about and might know where I could get some...let me know. I tried the google search already with no luck.

2:30 p.m. on April 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I never knew these had a brand name. I've got a 1.5 liter version that I bought on a NOLS course back in 1993. I don't know if they still issue them. You may try sending NOLS an email inquiring about the bottles. www.nols.edu

11:00 p.m. on April 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Yep, made in West Germany and when they are new they usually have a tag on the bottom. Great Bottles but now overshadowed by their friendly global competitor. Hey, are we gonna get together on that framesack ond other stuff? I just bought a Jan Sport on ebay to get the frame suspension parts. Keep in touch.

3:43 p.m. on April 22, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hunersdorf...found!!!

HUNERSDORF WIDE MOUTH BOTTLES
HUNERSDORF WIDE MOUTH BOTTLES:
Best bottle on the market for extreme cold weather. The softer plastic seals better while not absorbing flavors and is virtually unbreakable. Their specially designed threaded cap seals against leaks at 3 points and won't crack in cold weather. Made in Germany.

$0.48 - $7.27
Model: HUNERSDORF WM 1 1/2 QT - $7.27 EXTRA CAP FOR 1/2 PT HUNERSDOR - $0.48 EXTRA CAP FOR 1 PT HUNERSDORF - $0.48 EXTRA CAP FOR 1 QT HUNERSDORF - $0.48
HUNERSDORF WIDE MOUTH BOTTLES
HUNERSDORF WIDE MOUTH BOTTLES:
Best bottle on the market for extreme cold weather. The softer plastic seals better while not absorbing flavors and is virtually unbreakable. Their specially designed threaded cap seals against leaks at 3 points and won't crack in cold weather. Made in Germany.

$0.48 - $7.27
Model: HUNERSDORF WM 1 1/2 QT - $7.27 EXTRA CAP FOR 1/2 PT HUNERSDOR - $0.48 EXTRA CAP FOR 1 PT HUNERSDORF - $0.48 EXTRA CAP FOR 1 QT HUNERSDORF - $0.48

http://www.moosineer.com/MooseMain.asp?Option=Detail&ID=HUNERSDORF+WIDE+MOUTH+BOTTLES

11:58 a.m. on April 23, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I'm surprised they are still around.

10:20 a.m. on April 24, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

This outfit sells the bottles as well as an insulated cover for winter use.
http://www.40below.com/products_Results_bottlecovers.php?S_CategoryName=bottle_covers

9:00 p.m. on April 24, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

These bottles look really interesting, but for some reason are really hard to find. Even spelling Hunersdorf right finds only a few places that advertise them and in spite of the pictures on their websites, most don't actually have them. It looks like 40 Below is the only place that has the 1L bottle. A couple others have the 1.5L bottle. Too bad; I'd like to find one that fit the inside pocket in my TNF parka-the pocket is really small for some reason.

9:10 p.m. on May 16, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

If you get in touch with one of the retailers who sell them you can probably get whatever size you want tacked onto their next order. They were available in all sizes from really tiny ones for cooking oil or spices to the 1 1/2 liter sizes with everything in between. Most shops just don't carry the selection anymore. There are gazillions of gee gaws and gadgets that people will buy today and the stuff that really works sometimes gets lost in the shuffle!

November 25, 2014
Quick Reply