WTB enclosed pulk for pulling kids

1:37 a.m. on October 26, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Would love to find an enclosed pulk designed to haul kids. Can only find brand new for nearly $400...looking for used, less expensive, so my Swiss Mountain Dog can pull my two year old. Anyone in Alaska have one to sell? Or, possibly around Madison, Wisconsin (I'll be there next week). Respond here, or via email (ewartes@gmail.com).

Thanks!!

10:23 a.m. on October 26, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

This guy sells complete pulks as well as parts if you wish to make your own from a kids sled. http://www.skipulk.com/ On his web site he has a how-to manual to download with instructions. I've seen the finished products at shows, the seller lives in Minnesota as I do, and the quality is very good. I have not used one myself but they look like they will be more than adequate for nearly everyone.

4:24 p.m. on October 28, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Alan,

I agree, those are wonderful products; however, they state directly on their website that they do not recommend their product for hauling children. A liability point I am sure, but it is true that they don't provide a seat mechanism, nor a cover for keeping little ones warm.

But, upon continued research, I think I've come up with the perfect solution. Visit www.equinoxtrailers.com. They've got all sorts of variations on trailers...I am looking at picking up the dog cart and getting the ski/sled adapter. This way I will have a product I can use year round with both child and dog. Additionally, since they break down they are 1) storable, 2)packable (in cars) & 3) the shipping to Alaska won't be the same price as the trailer/sled itself (as is the case with redheadsleds.com.

Thanks again for your input!

Erin

10:55 a.m. on October 29, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

A friend of mine made a pulk from a kids sled. He would take his kids car seat and strap the seat into the pulk with some bungee cords. For warmth he'd wrap his kids in blankets. It seemed to work fine for him as long as he was careful not to wipe out on hills.

12:25 a.m. on November 7, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ed Bouffard

Erin-
I dont like to diss anyone's product but I would think twice about any pulk that has skis on the bottom. You want to have your sled follow you and sleds with skis have a mind of their own on all except hard pack snow. Think about how setting an edge on your skiis can lead to them taking you where you do not want to go.

My web site which Alan kindly mentioned has an excellent links page with lots of links to pulk companies that cater to parents. The products page also has a photo of a gear sled with a conversion for kids. IMO The backrest (doublingas as roll bar) and seat belt/harness are the important thing as kids are plenty warm in snow suits or little sleeping bags,,,

Enjoy your adventures. Ed B

12:58 a.m. on November 27, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Erin: Like Pulky Ed, I would probably discourage you from buying the Equinox system--I have the ski sled adapter for my 20+ year old Equinox trailer and have used it on hard-packed or groomed snow--it does not work well in new snow 6" or deeper. When I bought the ski sled adapter 20 years ago it was only $85, now it runs around $200, and you still have to find a decent pair of kid skis to mount the kit on. The installation of the adapter on skis is quite tedious to say the least and the alignment with the Equinox trailer pegs has to be exact! For the cost of buying the kit & Equinox dog cart/trailer option ($600+) you would be much better off checking craigslist in Alaska for a used Ziffco or Kindershuttle Kid Pulk for $200-$250.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply