FS: Mint Asolo mountaineering boots one-piece leather, full welt stitch size 11

4:51 p.m. on July 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

On eBay, mint condition Asolo Sport Yukon mountaineering boots, hand made in Italy. These are stiff, crampon-ready, all-leather mountaineering boots. Because these boots are all-leather, they are much more breathable than plastic Scarpa and Koflach boots. Unlike Vasque, Garmont, La Sportiva and Lowa, these boots have full grain uppers attached to the sole with a welt-stitch. The leather uppers are one piece, wrapping around to a single seam at the heel, (see close-up picture) making them easy to waterproof. With a lite weight, full length, wooden shank, for crampon work all day long, these are amongst the finest technical mountaineering boots every made.

I found these when I was cleaning out my dad's garage. Apparently he bought them in the 70's and never used them. The main reason they stopped making boots like these was because it was economically unfeasible to mass produce them. If your lucky enough to have size 11 feet, these would be the equivalent of a custom-made pair of mountaineering boots. Limmer is one of the few companies who still make this style boot: http://www.limmerboot.com/

According to my dad, just pour water into them, let them soak awhile, than drain and wear them for a short hike while they are still damp. After they mold to your feet, let them dry then use a leather sealant on the uppers and pour liquid sealant (warmed) into the rand to protect the welt (where the upper attaches to the sole.)

Back in the 70's, Reinhold Messner climbed Everest without oxygen in boots like these. These are lite, serious mountaineering boots, not hiking boots.

Here is the eBay address:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150274744023

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply