New 60/40 Parkas Available

12:20 a.m. on November 12, 2008 (EST)
68 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

For those who would like a new 60/40 parka, Sierra Designs Canada is offering one this Fall. These new versions are limited to only 500 jackets and are serial numbered. That's a bit gimmicky but hey, it's a NEW 60/40!

The new models feature a waterproof/breathable membrane but otherwise, are styled like the originals. Here's the SD link: http://canada.sierradesigns.com/mens.display.php?id=1065.

I know that Cabelas in Canada is carrying the parka. If you email SD Canada and ask for the Cabelas number they'll have it. I ordered one and it came in today. Mine is Russet but looks like the old burnt orange color. It IS NOT an exact historic reproduction. The hem and waist is adjustable with one-handed toggles, the wrist adjustments are slightly curved and radiused on the corners, the hood features a modern back adjustment and interior elastic cord adjustments, the top of the zipper features a zipper garage, etc. It does have the back pocket like the older 60/40's.

I like the updated hood and fit (more roomy than the old ones) and the interior adjustments, but I wish it still used the less efficient leather cord adjusters like the old ones. The fabric looks like 60/40 cloth (it's actually 55% cotton/45% Nylon while the originals were 58% cotton/42% nylon) but feels lighter in weight and more flexible (less body) than what I remember (I haven't seen one in over 20 years). Still, I'm happy with it.

I know that, at most, only 499 of these are left (mine is #9 out of 500), so if you're interested, get one while you can.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply