About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

ALL PPWE (Paul Petzoldt Wilderness Equipment) Wanted!!

1:32 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Any / ALL PPWE gear - in decent condition - for a gear museum - wanted!!
Send notices to Jay J at" rockrat@uwyo.edu - as to what gear, what condition, price and so forth!! future.
HELP a collector add to a museum for WY Outdoor kids!! Stories of NOLS - Paul Petzoldt and the gear welcome!!

1:57 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Now, THAT takes me back! I wore out or sold off most of what I had, might still have some "wind pants" somewhere in the discarded gear pile.

I also have his book somewhere, I think, I remember it being one of the (very) few tomes on wilderness activities that I found worthwhile.

Interesting man and someone I greatly respected and wished I had known in person.

5:18 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

I've got several items by Paul Petzoldt Wilderness Equipment, but I can't bear to part with them as it took me forever and a day to hunt them down. I'd still like to find the snap-front version of his wool shirts as well as a Nols wool sweater and an A-Frame tent.

Your project sounds interesting. Tell us, me, more please.

7:39 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

If you run across any of your old gear; please e-mail and let em know what you'd part with; what shape it is in and how much you'd like for it. I'll write back about the museum project for WY Wilderness/Mountaineering History!!
Which book are you talking about? Would that be up for sale?? I was fortunate enough to train with and then work for Paul Petzoldt in the 1980's!! One hell of a teacher and mentor and Outdoor advocate!!

7:42 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have one of the A-frame NOLS tent - no rainfly though; maybe we could trade something?? What size those shirts (the NOLS patch one?) - what color?
I'll write you back about the WYO Wilderness/Mounatineering History project!!

7:54 p.m. on November 18, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

The book is " The Wilderness Handbook", first edition and so imprinted, W.W. Norton, 1974, hardcover with jacket, 98% original. I kept this when I had my independent bookstore and have had it for about 30 years. It is a sound source of advice for those beginning various wilderness activities.

I may have given the wind pants to my nephew as I gave him some bags, tents, clothing and guns that I did not want any more and so I have no idea where these might now be. I am not really interested in selling the book, at present, but would let you know if I wanted to.

I had one of the tents, but, sold it to a college friend who wanted it for treeplanting. I also had one of his wine-coloured Expedition sleeping bags and spent some VERY cold nights in it, but, sold it as I bought a Marmot Mtn. original GT-down bag at about the same time.

The PPWE vest I had was with me in the Coast Guard while a Lightkeeper and was really good at keeping me warm when in a 14' open boat on the Georgia Strait in January. But, all of his gear tended to be a bit too heavy for solo backpacking and that is mostly what I do.

10:55 a.m. on November 24, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Rockrat, I don't know if my emails went through to you. Try sending me an email at wenkerae[at]msn[dot]com and maybe we can work out something.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply