For Sale: Dana Design Longbed Pack L

10:08 p.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Dana K2 Longbed Backpack size L. I have decided to sell this pack since I am unable to hike anymore. I purchased this Pack new and used it on two weekend hikes. It has since been stored in a back bedroom in my smoke free home after a hip injury that kept me off the trails.

This pack is in excellent condition, stored in my home since I bought it. There are no tears, missing parts, chips to the frame or any other types of damage. It is very near showroom condition. I am 6 foot tall with a 38” waist and this pack is perfect for me. I could carry more than I would ever need for a long trek and the load rests comfortably and is easy to carry with its great balance.

This pack is touted as the best pack ever for its class and I have never been able to understand why the company would stop making something that had such appeal and admiration of hikers everywhere.

I will sell it for $200.00 plus cost of UPS or FedEx to your address. Take a look at the pictures on the link below.

Dana Design K2 Longbed

Or

http://picasaweb.google.com/dlviles/DanaDesignK2Longbed?authkey=Gv1sRgCLCd_4HqrYXkRQ&feat=directlink

7:11 p.m. on April 10, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I am very interested in this pack, if you would ship it by USPS mail ONLY to me in Vancouver, BC. Can you send me your contact info. including phone no. and best times to call by e-mail? I pay by CanPost MO and can remit by "Expresspost". I WILL NOT deal with either UPS or FEDEX due to the obscene charges they levy on items shipped to Canada.

Let me know, thanks, Dewey e-mail is wodaxe@msn.com

10:41 p.m. on April 10, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

You could also call me at 604-437-5860, home most of the time, have voice mail, if that is preferable to you.

7:54 a.m. on April 12, 2009 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I own a Dana Design Longbed - have tried many others during my 25 years Forest Service career ; for big loads - this is the best ! Even at $200 , its a bargain if you want to carry 60-75 lbs with as much comfort as possible .

Why did Dana stop making these wonderful packs -- I have heard the

" Dana " in Dana packs is a restless soul , who is always looking for a new challenge . Presently , he is turning out a line of packs called

" Mystery Ranch " -- reportedly fit and carry better than the Dana Design line --- maybe when my Longbed wears out -- in anpther 50 or so years -

I'll try one !

9:11 a.m. on April 12, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have a K2 version now, in "regular", it is just a tiny bit too small for me as I am short, but, built like a Neanderthal with big shoulders and neck. I have my original Dana Design Bomb pack from 1978, had a Bozeman-built Terraplane OK, stolen by some _____ orifice and currently own and use five Mystery Ranch packs, including two fully rigged NICE systems.

No pack I have had in 53 years of hiking and I spent years in both the BC and AB Forest Services, when we had to pack, not like now, works for me like Dana's do.

I just need this one or a Longbed without bag for specific tasks, such as carrying my powersaw and fuel to certain places where one cannot use a vehicle.

1:06 p.m. on April 12, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Northface GoinSouth

I received your e-mail and replied, but, am "computer challenged", so, if you did not receive it, call me at above number AFTER 6:00 PM this evening, as I am available then.

9:18 p.m. on April 12, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

E-mail received, funds will be sent after long weekend over. Thnks.

10:03 p.m. on April 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks Dewey, It's boxed and ready to ship.

7:32 a.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

This pack is SOLD.

See Arkansastravel on EBay for future offerings of the rest of my gear.

Thanks Dewey, I'll get the pack shipped today.

6:36 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Funny how this worked out. Goin South originally offered to sell me his Longbed, but it's a large and I need a regular. Dewey had a regular and needed a large so he is going to buy Goin South's pack and sell me his regular. What a great site!

9:25 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Can anyone tell me what model and aproximate cu inches of a Dana External pack I saw?
1) The pack is about 31" long
2) Blue in color
Thanks

7:19 a.m. on April 22, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

It is probably one of the various externals that Dana did before selling to K2 circa 1995. The Bozeman-made Dana packs are simply beyond anything I have ever seen and only full custom McHale packs are their equal.

Dana himself has recently stated that the Mexican-made K2 packs produced under his supervision are slightly lesser in quality, but, still fine packs. Well, I have had two Bozeman-made, the K2 I am selling to Stiggs and five newly produced Mystery Ranch packs, all the Bozeman-made models. IF, there IS a quality difference, I cannot detect it and the K2 Longbeds are so far beyond ANY other frame pack I have used that no realistic comparison is possible.

Dana is a pack genius and I have found that his designs, even when the sizing is not "perfect" will STILL handle a heavy load in comfort. I have mine "dialed" and adjusted and have exchanged parts with the superb staff at MR, until even a nearly 63 yr. old geezer, like me, can carry an honest 100 lbs....and, all macho BS from various sites aside, that is a HEAVY load, especially in typically precipitous BC country.

These sites DO offer an excellent chance to find gear that you really want/need which is no longer produced. I advertised here and elsewhere for months to find one/more of these packs and am eagerly awaiting this one and will mail the one I do have to Stiggs, asap.

I now have almost enough packs, except I want a MR "Big Sky" and one of Dan McHale's "full Dyneema" large expedition packs....then, I need another Hilleberg tent, a "Jannu" in green and a Valandre "Bloody Mary" and maybe a custom winter bag from Peter Hutchinson in "Merrye Englande".....and THEN, well, maybe a DIVORCE lawyer! :) :) :)

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply