FS: Black Patagonia Catalyst Backpack

7:09 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Size large, with an added layer of freesole applied to the bottom of the pack. This reinforcement is over the double layer of nylon Patagonia uses for the bottom of the pack. Water-resistant zippers work well and slide freely. The fabric is waterproof, though water will seep into the seams. I use a small garbage bag cover swith great success. This pack is large enough to use for both the most ultralight of weekends and daypack use for the rest of us. It’s a 1500 cu.in. monkey of a pack in that it just clings to one’s back and doesn’t budge even when running. The hip belt itself attaches to the pack through a system of straps which cause the automatic compression of the pack’s body whenever the hip belt is fastened. Patagonia calls it an auto-fit harness; I call it really smart design. Pack weighs 1lb 10oz., and could lose a few ounces by trimming straps. There is a small, faint pen stain on the inside of the pack from my friend using it as a bookbag once (once). The back is padded lightly enough to use this pack at the feet in conjuntion with a 3/4-length inflatable. There are a few small scratches on the back from the local sandstone, but nothing that goes through the fabric or affects structural integrity. This is a sweet pack and will make someone very happy.

It goes for $120 new, and I'm selling it here for $60 shipped to your door.

2:58 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

This pack easily swallows the 10 essentials plus gear for an overnighter if you pack light. There are two lashing points reinforced with Hypalon for durability; I use them to hold a 32oz Gatorade bottle and my sleeping pad, each one affixed with simple buckle straps. If your kit is ultralight, this pack just works for a 3-season weekend.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply