Home made Square pail Bike panniers for sale $50

7:46 p.m. on May 14, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I make these myself from recycled square pails that restuarants got things in. They are about 1 foot square and 1 1/2 feet deep. Each set will hold about 16 litres of gear for bike touring or carrying grocerys home from the store.

They make very sturdy panniers (saddle bags) that are rigid and are tough. The lids snap on top and they have wire bails that are handy to carry them around with.

I have toured with a double set front and back. There is plenty of room for all the standard cycling gear like tent, sleeping bag, cook gear and clothing. I even used a special one I made to carry my laptop in.

I saw some advertised online for around $250 a couple years back and thought I can make them cheaper than that. I basically put brackets on them so they will attach to my bike racks. The set I originally made in 2007 I painted bright orangeand put reflective tape around them. I also added large bike reflectors to the backs. I use standard Bungee cords to hold them on with with the hooks thru holes drilled into a bike rack, and the elastic band around the top of the panniers.

They are also good in camp for seats, a table and even to carry extra water back from a water source to camp. Each holds a little over 4 gallons. And they stack well and will also make simple ice coolers.

Email me at garyclaytonpalmer@yahoo.com and I will send a picture of my bike with the rear ones on it. Be sure to put Bike Panniers in the subject area so I will recognise it as not spam.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply