About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hand made Hiking Boots-up date

12:42 p.m. on July 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

If you Google "Hand Made Hiking Boots " a 2005 posting shows up. I'm not there because I was trying to catch up on a two and a half year back log. I re-built my shop to work better and my little kids who would climb on my back while I measured my customers feet are to big to do that now. I have specialized in Mountain Footwear for 30+ years now; Hiking Boots , X-C Ski Boots and Mountain Shoes(Climbing Boots for a while there too). A long time ago I sold and repaired hiking boots . I saw why certain boots fit customers better and when they came back in for re-soling I saw what features made the boots stronger and last longer. When I started making boots I borrowed the best features from many of these different designs and came up with my own design.Today most of the "Made-to-Measure" Hiking Bootmakers in the USA and Canada are using my hiking boot features. Why get Custom Made Hiking Boots ? Because they fit better and last longer, true. (I just re-soled a pair, my customer got from me in 1991. He wanted to get new soles on them before he climbed Mt. Meeker in RMNP, next to Longs Peak).Even if I think mine are the best, almost all of my customers buy my boots because they just can't get a fit at the regular Boot Store. Thats what Custom Made is all about. John W. Calden "Calden Boots" Estes Park, CO.

1:10 p.m. on July 19, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have custom boots and require a 1.25" ortho-lift on my right one. I fitted boots for my living after many years of wilderness work here in western Canada and have worn/out most of the better Euro. brands as well as logging boots made here in B.C.

I will need 2-3 more pairs of boots for the remaining years of active bush life and am VERY interested in what you make. Could you post details, prices and do you offer a "fitting kit" for mailorders?

If, you prefer, e-mail me at wodaxe@msn.com to give above details and maybe provide a phone number? Thnx. Dewey

2:22 p.m. on July 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Dewey and I talked for quite awhile on the phone. He has been a "Hot Shot" wildlands fire fighter and a outdoor adventurer for years and years. They go through alot of boots. They make great customers because they use your boots so hard that if your design has a weakness, it will show up with them fairly quickly. Since I only make one pair at a time I can take this information and instantly make a correction on the very next pair. I think Dewey is going to order a pair from me. ([url=http://www.johncaldenboots.com]www.johncaldenboots.com).

11:03 a.m. on August 2, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Yup, I am going to have John build me a pair after this coming hunting season is finished. Most boots now are just crap and good boots are one gear item I absolutely will not skimp on.

1:08 p.m. on August 3, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Dewey, you will have to share your experience with the boots once you've had a good chance to use them.

John, I added your brand info to Trailspace too: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/john-calden-boots/

Thanks for sharing this info.

FYI, I'm moving this thread to the Classifieds forum, since it is about buying and selling gear.

4:10 p.m. on September 3, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks Alicia, I also make a classic all leather X-C Ski Boot. Most of those have been in the 15+ sizes. Yours, John Calden

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply