LNT Fire Disc

1:53 p.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Does anyone know where I can find a Leave No Trace fire disc or ring? I have looked all over the internet and can not find one.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

5:41 p.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

http://www.tcfroar.org/firebarrel.html This was all I found but I don't think it is what you are looking for?

I sometimes carry just a #10 can like restuarants get food in, make four holes in the bottom sides at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock for air holes and voila, you have a can fireplace. It is actually easy to carry, and use to cook on.

I also use a small Campbells soup can in the same way but with holes around the top lip as well as the bottom outside edges for air flow. Then use a selflighting BBQ briquette and after it goes down to a coal, I set my cookpot on top with stones around the outside to stabize it.

8:21 p.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Check this out. Most people think round, but this is easier to pack.

10:39 a.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

Would'nt want to have to carry one of those at 15 lbs.

Question, f_klock: How do you get the website to show using the word THIS in your reply?

11:28 a.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Gary,

Highlight the word you want to use as a link, click on the chain "link" in the bar above, when the window pops up, paste the web address you want it to link to in the proper box, and click insert.

You can even do this: Gary Palmer!

7:40 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

I think Gary's question was how to get to the website, not how to set it up. The answer is point to the word "this" and left-click your mouse.

7:54 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

I have used an oil drip pan that you can get from an auto supply store. Most of them are pretty large, but some are about the size of the fire pan in f_klock's link.

7:55 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Another option is to use a sand pile. You lay out a tarp, then make a mound of sand or other mineral soil. Build the fire on top of that. You just scatter the sand/soil and ashes over a wide area. Do it right and there is no evidence of the fire area unless you look very closely.

12:14 p.m. on September 23, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I really like the big coffee can. I use it as a pot stand for my alcool stove and make a fire in it too sometimes. You can also make one out of tin that's easy to fold and carry flat.

11:20 p.m. on October 3, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I have used the 10" diameter cheap bbq grills you get at dollar stores to build LNT fires in. They are cheap and light weight, plus they even have legs to keep the fire off the ground if you have a reason for that. They can be emptied after use by spreading the coals over a wide area, and cleaned out with sand then tied to the outside of your pack to minimize mess.

I often backpack on the Black Creek in MS where you are practically encouraged to camp on the sand bars. This method allows a fire to be made without marring the beauty of the white sand bar, then provides a good container to carry the coals away from the sand bar for disposal.

9:26 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up finding one on campmor.com. It is called the UCO collaspable firebowl. This thing is sweet, it weighs about 2lbs and compacts to about the size of a soft ball.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply