Need Recommendation for www.finishadventure.com Are they REAL?

12:57 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Can't verify this website www.finishadventure.com. They seem to carry alot of name brand gear.Has anyone any experience with them? Live char doesn't work, street address in NYC, phone number for mobile for in MI, web tracks to CA.

Multiple attempts to contact them have failed. ANyone know anything about this site? (hope this question in correct forum)

Thanks very much for your help.

1:43 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

The domain was registered less than a month ago, yet they have a fully-functioning e-commerce site. You don't typically begin the process of developing a web site, including all the branding graphics, then wait until the last possible second to register the domain name. The prevalence of generic marketing speak on the site is worrying as well. Lets not forget to mention that they hide their whois information, a big no-no in my book. It smells funny to me.

That being said, they claim to have a history. They claim to have been in business since 2003 at 420 Lexington Ave., New York, NY 10007. That claim should be pretty easy to investigate, starting with the fact that 10007 isn't a valid zip code for that address (checked via USPS Zip Code search). Yet again though, what 21st century company starts up without a web presence? If they've really been in business since 2003, they've missed out on quite a bit not being online until last month.

1:52 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Ha! 420 Lexington Ave is Grand Central Terminal!

2:13 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Bad News. It's a very elaborate site fro phishing then... What's odd is that I have contacted other sites, Altrec, Mountain Gear, etc and they are unable to pull the website up at all. Also, when I now run a search for Arcteryx Alpha SV on Google, hit shopping results, then the link to finishadventure, for some reason I am now sent to Altrec.com
Question now becomes who do I report this website to?!?

4:12 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

It could just be an interface for a merchandise clearinghouse, like one of those pyramid schemes where you build a website for some other entity to funnel their wares through, and the website operator gets a cut. Whatever it is, you can report it to any of the appropriate authorities. The FTC handles issues of interstate commerce and the FBI handles interstate and cyber crime. You should start with those.

4:57 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Hope nobody has fallen for this
bit Im afraid people probably have. If you look at the bottom of their page it suggests
they are present on Twitter and Facebook. There are accounts. That reference
Outdoordeals.com. They may have been driven down before and resurfaced
as finishadventure. Who knows

7:41 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Outdoordeal.com has the exact same website, just the name is different. They might be operating like overstock.com and selling what they pick up from various wholesalers at deep discounts.

3:05 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I noticed that the website was identical when I clicked on the Facebook accounts, no activity at all. There are plausible explanations for some of this- but still too strange that the phone number is a mobile in Michigan, that the physical address is Grand Central Station, that the live chat doesn't work and that they don't answer their emails.

I won't be buying there and I would have to recommend EXtreme caution to anyone else.

Thanks again for the input and help guys.

5:06 p.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I wish I would have found this thread before trying to order from them. I found a bunch of stuff I wanted and when I put in my credit card it said it wasn't valid. I tried again thinking I typed something wrong but it came back again wrong. My bank says everything is fine.

In my opinion the website is a scam. www.finishadventure.com and outdoordeals.com are the same site. From what I've looked at their policy pages are word for word copied from www.altrec.com. The outdoordeals site even links to them when you try to look at your cart.

I called Altrec and they don't know either of those sites so I doubt they are affilliated. I requested the BBB to make a report for both sites since there isn't one yet.

As for me I'm canceling my card. There is way to much fishy about the site for it to be real. I also tried the 'live chat' option and asked them if the site was real or if they just stole my card. Or course, I haven't heard back yet.

12:00 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I found a boot I'd been looking for -- finishadventure.com had it on sale and "in stock" though no one else seemed to.

But when I went to place an order, I noticed the page for entering credit card info was _not secure_.

That red flag prompted a search that got me here. Shoulda known. Beware.

12:15 p.m. on May 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I can't believe this site is still up and running, I would be curious to learn whether previous poster's credit card was charged. I have alerted agencies as well. Would have thought quicker action was possible but another lesson learned I guess.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply