For Sale: 2 NEW North Face Modular Tents

8:36 p.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Specifications:
• Very unique: Modular for expandability, where 1st tent zips onto 2nd tent. • Free-standing. • Insect-proof. • Single wall (highly breathable = GoreTex laminate).

North Face found that this model was going to be too expensive to put into full-scale production. Ideal for backpacking, paddling, and/or mountaineering/4-season.

Will sell only as a pair of tents to complete modular system.

$850 for both tents. Shipping/insur. extra.

12:25 a.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

read here and judge the seller for yourself

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35249

12:36 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

The two tents above were shown in the 1990 North Face catalog as the Monodome and were to sell individually for $375 each at the time. The catalog indicated that the tent would not be available for Spring 1990.

It is presumed that NF realized that there was not a market for such an expensive solo tent with the option to zip to another Monodome, especially when the Westwind & Aerohead 2-man tents were selling for less than the cost of one Monodome. Fabric used on the tent was called AquaNot--a short-lived variation on waterproof/breathable material at the time. Weight: 3 lbs. 13 oz., floor area: 29 ft., 2 pole design with two doors.

I have one I picked up for $40, have yet to use it in inclement weather. If one could have purchased them new in 1990, they would have cost $750--you have to be the judge on if 20 year old technology is worth paying a preminum for.

1:57 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

i did read your link, and would personally appreciate it if you kept your feud to your-selves. this is not the kind of thing needed here at trailspace.

alicia (et-al) sorry for sticking in my 2-bits worth

cary

7:30 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

As long as individual sellers aren't breaking any of the Community Rules and Guidelines, acting illegally, or unethically, they are welcome to offer gear for sale at whatever asking price they like. It's up to buyers to decide if it's worth the cost.

11:21 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

An interesting tent, I've not seen this before.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply