For Sale: NEW Mountainsmith Modular Pannier System

8:53 p.m. on May 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Modular: panniers can be used as 2 backpacks. System includes: 2 large panniers, 2 carrier attachment devices to bike carrier, 1 bike seat bag (which can also serve as a water bottle/waist pack), + 1 handlebar bag (which can serve as a medium-size waist pack).

$375 firm

Shipping/insurance extra.

12:30 a.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Research first. I bet that this is selling for more than it's worth.

read here and judge the seller for yourself

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35249

12:35 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

The products pictured say "Cyclesmith" and not "Mountainsmith." Acording to the USPTO, the branding on the products in the picture belongs to The Blackstone Group, a rather large equity holding company. Web references to "Cyclesmith" include a bike shop in Wisconsin, a small-time Harley-Davidson customizer of unknown origin, and bicycle repair shop in Salt Lake City. I can say two things for certain:

1. These are not Mountainsmith bags.

2. The quality of these bags cannot be determined with the information given.

11:26 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Mountainsmith (back when they first started) may have had at one time a bike bag company called cycle smith. I don't have the time to research old magazines but this does ring a bell. Hine Snowbridge did the same thing, their bike bags were sold as Kirtland Tourpack.

12:12 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Alan is right--Mountainsmith did make bike bags for a while under the Cyclesmith name (label very similiar to the Mountainsmith label at the time). Thanks for the reminder on Hine Snowbridge--besides making great backpacking gear, I think the Kirtland Tourpack bike bags & panniers were the best ever made!

8:01 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

This is an interesting little mystery.

http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&qt=sno&reel=&frame=&sno=74304109

Mountainsmith seems to have owned the mark for about 4 months in mid-1999, selling it to Schwinn in September of that year. It was then sold back to Mountainsmith in 2003, and they appear to have lost it to the bank less than a year later. Finally, it was sold to Blackstone, the current owner, in 2007.

What I want to know is why I can't find these panniers on the web anywhere else? Does the seller have a model name.number or the name of the product line?

9:58 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Want some superstrong light panniers, I made mine out of two exMayonaise buckets at a cost of about $20 for spray paint, reflective tape and shelf brackets for rack mounts. I have two more I can put on the front for extended touring. Bike shown does not have a rack on the front.

10:01 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

That's awesome.

11:21 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Gary, that is VERY clever.

Kirtland did make very nice bike bags as did Madden back in the day. Finances at the time dictated that I buy Cannondale Overlands which I still use, especially on my daily commute. Hine Snowbridge also made padded camera bags under a different label, I think it was called Altan.

12:17 p.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yeah, and I left the bails on em for carrying water back to camp from a stream, they make excellent chairs,a table and I use the same kind of buckets for food caching when on extended hikes. Even a camp cooler filled with ice!

The one below which has a mate of course has been used on three tours since I designed them in 2007. The bucket was free from where I worked. Some places charge $5 for them. Most places go thru about 2-10 a week. Pickles also come in them.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply