Svea with Sigg Tourist, Thermarest, First Need

10:50 a.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am selling s Svea stoves. #1 is a Svea 123R, w/ windscreen, but no pot. Works well, used it this season. Asking $30.00 plus shipping.

#2 is a Svea 123 with the Sigg Tourist Cook Set. No pot lifter, but the rest is in good shape. Asking $75.00 Plus shipping.

A first Need Filter, reasonable new cartridge. $40.00 + shipping

Also 2 3/4 length thermarests. One is standard thickness, the second is a short camp rest. $20.00 each + shipping.

11:52 a.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Wow some good old time stuff there. I used to have a Svea till the late 80s and that First Need Filter. Good luck selling it.

I might be interested in the stove. Do you take Paypal? How much for shipping to Flagstaff AZ? Email me at my address listed in my profile left, click on my name in blue. Put Svea 123R in the subject. Be sure to completely drain the fuel out b4 sending it.

I have a cook pot already, had for 25 years. My stove is the Pocket Rocket but not as reliable as the Svea in cold weather. Best for warm summers. But I hike/camp mainly in the Fall, Winters and Springtime. 34 year expedition hiker...:)

3:17 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Gary,

Cant find an email address in your profile.

4:55 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts
6:40 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

If you click on my name to the left here above my picture it brings up my profile with my email address in blue beneath on the left.

7:00 p.m. on September 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I plan to clean it up, I used to keep mine nice and shiny. The one I used in Yosemite in the winter always worked well. I have always wanted another, since going to propane/butane stoves in the 80s. The Svea is a classic!

12:39 p.m. on September 23, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I sent the money priorty mail . I also emailed you about it and got back an email saying it the email was undeliverable as your box was full?

10:30 p.m. on September 24, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Cleric posting Gary's email for him is just one more reason why I love this community...Good luck with the sale, NY Arborist; Those Svea stoves are bulletproof, and the First Need is still one of the best filters on the market...

11:40 p.m. on September 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

NY Arborist, Why did you choose the name arborist? I am originally from Sodus NY where the Arbor Day got started.

10:15 a.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

So you got it in the mail, finally? I am still waiting to know you sent it. Would have rather used Paypal and have had you had the money sooner, so I could have gotten the stove by now.

8:26 p.m. on October 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Gary: If you're looking for another Svea stove let me know. It hasn't been fired up in about 20 years or so.

10:25 p.m. on October 8, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Nope, Only need one stove to cook on, I got this one for winter and have a Pocket Rocket for summer.

I polished it up as I don't think it ever had been? Has a few rust dings in it but brings back memories of camps in the high Sierra January to May 1980, 150 nights of winter/spring camping in Yosemite, my very first long solo camping trip.

11:15 p.m. on October 8, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

FYI, $75 is a bargain for the stove and Sigg kit, even without the pot lifter. I have the identical setup. Great for group camping, if a bit too big for soloing.

Is that the Svea pump I see in the picture?

12:22 p.m. on October 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Oh yeah, I didnt see that! NY Aborist could you send me that, for the stove? I was thinking about looking for one, while I polished the Svea!

B4 cleaning

After cleaned and polished

10:22 a.m. on October 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Haha. Just gave away my sigg tourist cook kit to a young neighbor. Didn't know it had any value. Live and learn. The sigg looks great polished.

6:32 p.m. on October 10, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

The Sigg is the most valuable thing there. The stoves are common, the Sigg is not. You did a good deed. You should let him know he should take good care of it because even though he got it for nothing doesn't mean it isn't worth anything.

9:48 p.m. on October 10, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I last used a Svea 123 was in 1980 when I was winter camping in Yosemite from January to May. It always worked great for me even on the coldest nights in an igloo on top of El Capitain.

8:46 a.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Have been trying to polish mine up. what product are you using to get that crud off...although the crud gives it personality.

9:06 a.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

A Brill-O Pad works best and/or a green nylon scrubby with a some dish soap. An old toothbrush is good in the tight spots around the condenser. Mine has a little needle that pops up thru the gas hole to keep carbon from building up and plugging it.  Wish it were complete like the one I had in 1980 with the aluminum cup that fit over to top and the air pressure valve.

12:14 a.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Thanks Gary Palmer. I was unsure about using an abrasive pad.

4:50 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Well a soft pad like brillo or a nylon one won't leave the big scratches a larger steel wool will. Brass scratches very easily being softer than steel.

9:27 a.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

DCI-006cr.jpg
This photo is from a morning hike last week. The Svea fits nicely in a fanny pack. The cup is a GSI stainless steel with handles. It stores either over the stove or the base of a Nalgene bottle

8:44 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

And its a great reliable winter stove. And you don't need white gas for it, regular automobile gas will work. Mine has a lil needlelike pin that pops up thru the gas vapor hole to keep carbon from plugging it when its turned off.

I used my original one from the late 70s to about the mid 80s before selling it.I bought the one above and will use it again as soon as I am camping again. Its easier to find fuel for than my pocket rocket and the fuel can also be used to start a campfire in an emergency or when the wood is wet.

Just don't get it on your hands in winter as it can cause frostbite as it evaporates and removes your skins natural oils. And spilled on nylon tents or sleeping bags is not good for the fabric.

I use a eye dropper to put fuel into the lil indention around the gas converter which makes the liquid fuel become a vapor.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply