WTB Dana Design Flatbed - Large

7:19 p.m. on October 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

After much research I have narrowed down the pack choice to a Dana Design Flatbed with the Large Size Suspension.  If you have one for sale or know anyone who has one for sale please let me know.  

You can email me at jtsdaddy@surewest.net

Thanks in advance, Doug.

9:34 p.m. on October 29, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Doug, a suggestion, if you will. I would log onto any backpacking forums in the PNW and "Mountain States" that you know of and frequently advertise on these. I am thinking of "Kifaru.net", "Backpackhunting" and I am sure that there are others.

These packs ARE out there and the more widecast your net, as it were, the sooner you will find one. Do remember that a Shortbed can have the bag quickly stripped from it and then is a bare "Terraframe"....I hope to find another of these as I do not care for the "sling" and all that on the "Flatbed".

I started humping heavy loads on packboards in the mid-'60s and can put a "diamond hitch" on one with anything from 120 lbs of meat to gas cans and power saw to water cans  and cordwood, (  wish I could pack it as easily as I did then, but......). So, give this some consideration and give Dana a call in Bozeman and add your voice to those who have requested a re-introduction of this superb tool....good luck!

12:19 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Just in case you weren't aware, Dana Gleason's present company, Mystery Ranch, has at least one similar set up. He has this special frame called the NICE Frame, and you could set it up with a NICE Load Sling. It shows in their Military, Hunting and Fire/Trail online sections. And I see something similar called the NICE King Cab in the Military section. Dana Design may have given up on this idea, but Dana Gleason did not.

11:01 a.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have two NICE systems and they are VERY different from the hard, external frames we are discussing here. Both have their place, especially in the hunting-wilderness work aspects of backpacking, but, IMHO, a NICE will NOT replace a Terraframe.....and, they are somewhat spine-length specific, as some guys cannot get the required lift on the lifters due to their short length and placement.

For ME, If I could only have one pack, it would be one of my fully tricked out NICE rigs, but, I am barely 5'8" and built like a bulldozer, so, they fit me very well. I often put 90 lbs. of sand and water bottles on my early production NICE frame, with Loadsling and trek the steep trails in a nearby municipal bush park to stave off the effects of geezerhood...and, I heve never carried weight like that in such comfort.

For simon-pure big game hunting, tho', as I suspect "RosinBag" has in mind, in MOST situations, the Terraframe is the better choice and, again, I wish Dana would bring this back under his MR label. I talked with both Andrew Crow and often with Mark Seacat about this and they said that they would mention it to Dana, but, I have never heard any feedback from this and have not called MR in some time......we can hope......

1:24 p.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Dewey thanks again.  I too have tried the NICE systems and they are not the same nor capable in my opinion of carry heavy loads like the external frames from Dana Designs.

I had a chance to buy a shortbed, but it had the L shape to the frame and I really didn't like that feature.  I also have adds like this on several other websites, so hopefully something will turn up.

2:55 p.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
70 forum posts

hi i have 2 flat beds from dana a long bed k 2 green one and a blue one both in great shape there med size hip belts though.

4:18 p.m. on October 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Yooperman, can you send me some pictures to jtsdaddy@surewest.net

I can replace the waist belt if needed.  Also, in your email can you let me know what you want for them.  Thanks, Doug.

10:45 p.m. on November 6, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
22 forum posts
10:17 a.m. on November 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks Motiga.....

11:49 a.m. on November 7, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Hey, bud, where do you find the replacement waistbelts which you refer to in your post above?  I would like to obtain an extra for my current Shortbed, which is my favourite by far of the three last configurations of Dana's "Terraframe".

I am quite surprised that Dana does not introduce another of these externals, given the huge increase in interest in backpack hunting over the past decade. I suggested this and some mods to the NICE frame to Andrew Crow and Mark Seacat starting five years ago, but, no forthcoming new models including what I want to see. That said, I have used Dana's packs hard for well over 30 years and nothing is their equal other than Dan McHale's superb packs, IMHO.

I would not choose one for much lightweight recreational backpacking, but, boy, when I was a young guy packing supplies to BCFS firelookouts alone for extended periods, I would have gone nuts to have had one of these. So, hopefully, you will find yours and even a "spare" as they are the cat's posterior prominence!

9:37 p.m. on November 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Dewey the waist belts from Kifaru work on the Dana Design Externals really well.  I have several buddies using them and they went on and attached without any issues to the frame and suspension system.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply