About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

vintage DANA DESIGN backpacks for sale

11:36 p.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Two Dana Design backpacks. Both in excellent, like new condition. Both from the top-of-the-line series known as the ArcFlex series. Same suspension system as the infamous Terraplane and Astralplane packs. Super cushy, incredibly comfortable belt system. Both are Made in the USA, Bozeman, Montana packs.

Dana Design worked from three basic designs: 1) two vertical pouches on the outermost pack. 2) Beavertail system. 3) panel loading system. The Alpine is of the Beavertail system, and the Stillwater is of the panel loading system coupled with the Beavertail system.

the ArcFlex Alpine volume: 5000 cubic inches is the base, which includes a 500 cubic inch fanny pack/lid. The ArcFlex series all have retractable bottoms; to somewhat mimic the versatility of an external framed pack. With the bottom retracted (as shown below in the pictures), Dana says it can be reduced to a 3500 cubic inch main body. If necessary, you can extend the skirt (as shown below in the pictures) for a full pack volume of 5600 cubic inches.

features: Beavertail system. extension skirt. retractable bottom. wand pockets on each side (as shown below with the umbrella). Hypalon patch with lash points on lid for crampons.

color: Dana Red with black 1000 weight Cordura bottom. Yellow strapping.

size: medium belt (waist 30"-36") / medium pack (torso length 18"-20").

pack year: 1998 or 1999.

ORIGINAL RETAIL: $415

condition: like new. can't find a spot on it.

asking price: $200. + shipping + PayPal fees (which I'll gladly wave if paid with a money order or check, and you're willing to wait for them to clear before I ship the pack).

backdanadesignalpinemed.jpgfrontbeaverfulldanadesi.jpgfrontdanadesignalpineme.jpgfrontskirtdanadesignalp.jpgsiderfulldanadesignalpi.jpgsidertuckdanadesignalpi.jpg

===================================

the ArcFlex Stillwater volume: 5250 cubic inches is the base, which includes a 700 cubic inch fanny pack/lid. The ArcFlex series all have retractable bottoms; to somewhat mimic the versatility of an external framed pack. With the bottom retracted (as shown below in the pictures), Dana says it can be reduced to a 3500 cubic inch main body. If necessary, you can extend the skirt (as shown below in the pictures) for a full pack volume of 5800 cubic inches.

features: Beavertail system. extension skirt. retractable bottom. wand pockets on each side (as shown below with the umbrella). Hypalon patch with lash points on lid for crampons. panel loader/zippers running down each side and meeting at the top with a large patch of super strong velcro to hold everything snug (as shown below in the pictures)

color: spruce green with black 1000 weight Cordura bottom.

size: large belt (waist 36"-42") / large pack (torso length 20"-22")

pack year: 1995 or 1996.

ORIGINAL RETAIL: $419

condition: like new. one, single exception was a dime width cut on the fabric on the framesheet area near the shoulder that I had professionally mended with heavy-weight polyester upholstery thread.

additional comments: one of the coolest packs I've ever owned. no exaggeration. I adore this pack. really disappointing that it is slightly too big for me, and after a couple tries, I simply cannot make it work. built like an F'ing tank.

asking price: $250. + shipping + PayPal fees (which I'll gladly wave if paid with a money order or check, and you're willing to wait for them to clear before I ship the pack). or I'm willing to discuss a trade for another insanely cool backpack.

backdanadesignstillwate.jpgfrontpanel1danadesignst.jpgfrontpanel2danadesignst.jpgfrontskirtdanadesignsti.jpgfronttuckbeaverfulldana.jpgfronttuckdanadesignstil.jpgsidelfulldanadesignstil.jpgsideltuckdanadesignstil.jpg

11:47 p.m. on February 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Alpine sold. Stillwater still available with price reduction to $225.

10:01 a.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

I made a mistake. The Stillwater has a MEDIUM belt (waist 30"-36"), not a large.

2:10 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I need a size M belt. Would you trade the hip belt without the pack?

3:50 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

If the belts are from the same year/vintage. I don't say that to be a jerk, but I've noticed the belts changed a lot during the span of '95-2000. I'd gladly swap out belts if they were identical. I think we could easily see if they were. send me a message. we can exchange all the stuff from there.

11:11 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

still for sale?

11:47 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Stillwater is still available

1:47 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Unfortunately I don't have any belt, so we can't swap out belts. I have got a Terraplane pack without any belt. It has a "Dana Design Bozeman MT" label and is made from 500 den Cordura classic. I don't know the pack's production year, but I think, the belts shown on your photos would do.

2:27 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry, but I can't sell or trade the hip belt by itself.

You could use just about any hip belt in that Dana. Have you contacted Mystery Ranch to see if you can get a belt that will work with your Terraplane? I bet you could. Or contact Marmot repair division to see if you can buy a belt from them? They have boxes of Dana Design original parts so they can continue to honor the lifetime warranty. In 2010, they swapped out a brand new frame sheet for a cracked one. They're friendly and very helpful. I'd call them before emailing, though. Those are the first two options I'd try.

11:24 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I also have a Dana Designs Arcflex Terraplane for sale.  Please see the post in classifieds.

3:29 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

You state the bag is too big / large for you.   Are you referring to the capacity of the bag ... or, your body-size / physique.   If it's body-size, please provide your height and weight.   I'm hard to fit, myself.

Robert

3:59 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

You state the bag is too big / large for you.   Are you referring to the capacity of the bag ... or, your body-size / physique.   If it's body-size, please provide your height and weight.   I'm hard to fit, myself.

Robert

The torso length is 1-2"s too long, so the pack size is too big. The pack's volume, at 5250c, is not a problem. Dana's sizing is accurate, but when I measured myself, my measurements were not.

MEDIUM belt (waist 30"-36")

large pack (torso length 20"-22")

McHale has the best measuring page and system. Less likely to get a bad measure. http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

I hope this helps.

9:54 a.m. on March 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Marmot helped me. They send me a hip belt size M for free, but it's a Arclight hip belt. I'm happy that I can use my Terraplane pack now.

Thank you for the tip.

Do you know, wether the Arclight hip belt has disadvantages compared to the Arcflex hip belt?

12:42 p.m. on March 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

The ArcLight belt isn't nearly as robust as the ArcFlex belt. One is part of a suspension system that was intended to max out at 65LBs or so. The other was designed to be part of a system that could handle 100LBs+. Wider. Thicker padding. Still, the ArcLight belt and system is better than most other company's suspension systems of the time.

9:08 a.m. on April 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Alpine sold. Stillwater sold. Both sold.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply