Wanted: Sternum Strap for Dana Design Terraplane

12:54 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I have a Dana Design Terraplane that's missing one side of the sternum strap (including the female end of the buckle and the connector to the shoulder strap).  I was hoping somebody might have an old DD pack that's not being used that might be able to spare this item.  Please let me know.  Thanks, Doug

10:05 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Call Mystery Ranch in Bozeman and I bet they will send you one for free.

1:21 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I emailed Mystery Ranch and got a reply back immediately...but they couldn't help me.  I talked with a VERY helpful gentleman at Marmot today.  They are still honoring Dana Design Lifetime Warranties...so he asked me to take a pic of the pack's harness and email it to him so he'd know exactly what I need.  He said depending on their stock, they'd either send me a new strap or an entire new shoulder harness.  I'm impressed!

5:52 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Just an FYI...Marmot's Cust Svc guy emailed me back within minutes of receiving photos of my pack to let me know that a new strap was going out in today's mail.  Remarkably good customer service.   I don't own any Marmot products (other than this pack which isn't even Marmot) but will not hesitate to buy Marmot in the future.

6:03 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Dana Gleason (who owned Dana Designs, then sold it to K2, at which the old Dana Designs group got sold to Marmot) went on to start Mystery Ranch.

Marmot has built a good reputation over the years for their service and quality products. Some years ago, they also had several retail stores, but in the early 1980s spun them off, as did Western Mountaineering. The Marmot stores and Western Mountaineering store were merged into the Marmot retail "chain" (5 stores at their maximum, so really a local specialty mountaineering store). Thanks to the economy and competition from some national "outdoor" stores, Marmot like many local specialty stores had to close most of their shops. They currently have only two, one in Berkeley (CA), the other is Bellingham (WA). The rumor is that one of those is likely to be closed before long. PATRONIZE YOUR LOCAL OUTDOOR SHOP!!! And don't just go in to take advantage of their knowledge, then turn around and buy your gear from some internet shop. It won't be all that long until you will lose your local expert advice source. It is even happening here in the SFBay Area, one of North America's centers of climbing activity, only 3.5 hours from Yosemite Valley.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply