Vintage LOWE HOLOFLEX FRAME PACK

2:06 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I'm selling this for a friend of mine.  Like alot of us, my friend collected much gear during his time in the out of doors.  It's is his opinion that he will not be backpacking anytime soon, if ever again.  Check this out it's cool.

This LOWE ALPINE  SYSTEMS HOLOFLEX FRAME PACK  is new old stock.  He's had it with him since some time since the late 80's or early 90's.  Go to this Google Books site to see a discription from a 1987 issue of Backpacker magazine May 1987 page 91  http://books.google.com/books?id=YuADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=lowe+holoflex+frame+pack&source=bl&ots=W7tmTHCFOb&sig=5MhTREQDktXuLQsssqST2nbqlQA&hl=en&ei=tCm3TfOnIcS1tweL5r18&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lowe%20holoflex%20frame%20pack&f=false:

"at the center of this innovative design s the Butterfly Frame, built of tough, lightweight, flexible Zytel plastic, which allows bend for easy movement and adjusts to fit people from 5'4" to 6'4"....additional features include countered, padded shoulder straps; modified "A"  zippered sleeping bag compartment; removable horizontal divider and internal sleeping bag compression; extendable lid with spindrift collar for larger loads...and attached side pockets with ski slots." 

This was the only info I could find on line othe than the pack being a very heave duty pack used by photographers for hauling tons of camera equiptment.

I would trust this pack to carry 70 lbs with no problem and maybe upto 90 lb if you really wanted to torture yourself.  (this is a my estimation)

This is a external frame backpack

This pack is huge.  I belive its as at least as large as my Osprey Silhoette Pack.  I would guess it to be in the 6000 cu in range if not bigger.

Weighs approx 7 lbs (just like my Osprey)

This will include a copy of the original custom fitting & fine tune the controls instructions.

It measures 38-40 in tall x 13-14 in wide X 12 deep front to back

Pack size lists regular

features:

very large top load section with draw string closure

large botom load section section with large dual slide YKK zipper

A  large top pocket that covers the main section with rear zipper 14 x11.5 x 5

Two large side pockets pockets 9 x 6 x 5

ski pockets (with drain holes) on both sides and three compression straps (both sides) to hold in your skies(tent poles, fishing poles, camera gear, trekking poles, etc.)

Ice axe (equiptment loop) on the bottom front

Tie in lug (lower front middle) for anything tall using the ice axe loop

The ski compression straps can be used as compression straps for the entire pack if you use longer straps, no extra buckles needed.

Dual height adjustments see picts.  Can adjust from 5'4 to  6'4.

Padded hip belt measures 30.5 in. long 5 in. top to bottom, 2 in. thick on the back, one in one the sides.  buckle to buckle  measures 48in.

The only difference between the on listed in the backpacker mag is the one the list removable horizontal divider and internal sleeping bag compression.  This does not and never did, otherwise its the same.

I would call this mint  except for some small spotting on the top section which happend during storage and is in one of the pictures, otherwise it's in new condition except for slightly dust/dirty from being stored.   I truly belive this was never used.  I broke down some of my 6ft two piece fishing poles  and they stuff fine.  As the pack sits I have it lightly stuffed with just laundered towels and laundry if I really stuffed  it would have a height of 40 to 41 in.  I would not hesitate to carry 8ft two piece fishing rods with this pack. 

I think I've covered the important aspects of this pack other than I think it would be great for fisherman to pack in a bellyboat and gear to camp, hunters, anyone who needs to haul a large amount of equiptment.

The last picture is of the lowe next to a Ridge Way by Kelty Womans Rainer exterial fram pack that is for sale as well.  I will post it tomorrow.  I added the termarest to show some size scale it is a rolled 21x66 in pad.

First $100 + shipping gets it but he to all offer's.

lowe-holoflex1.jpg

lowe-holoflex3.jpg

lowe-holoflex4.jpg

lowe-holoflex10.jpg

lowe-holoflex5.jpg

lowe-holoflex6.jpg

lowe-holoflex7.jpg

lowe-holoflex9.jpg

lowe-holoflex12.jpg

9:42 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

I remember when these were new, very cool pack.  Good luck with the sale.

What is the other pack in the last photo?

By the way, Warren at http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/Compass/compasslinks.html
 may be interested in your photos for his website.  Warren is out of town for the next 10 days.

11:09 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Alan,  Wadda think about the price he's asking?   This seems to be a really cool pack and really comfy as well.  I was messing with the adjustments just for the fun of it.  easy and straight foward and they can be done at home, comes with a copy of the fitting instructions.  The other pack is a  Ridge Way by Kelty Womans Rainer pack new old stock that I'm going to put up today.  I just put them together to show the size of the Lowe.   Sorry about all the typos in my add, it's that late night typing thing.  I'll mail Warren. I collect vintage gear so I'll see if I can hook up with him.  If I can't sell it I'll probably end up with it and use it for packing in a belly boat/fishing gear and all the camping gear that I need for a multiple day trip.  This thing holds a ton of stuff.

**Note**

The last line in the post for the Lowe pack should read:

"First $100 + shipping gets it but he is open to all offer's".

2:49 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

sharp pack

1:02 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

I don't think $100 is unreasonable given the pack is in new condition.  Unless you get lucky on ebay/craigslist/thrift store you won't get a rugged, large volume pack for less money.

12:25 a.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Sold pending funds!!!!!!!

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply