Wanted: 1-2 person, 3 season, tent

7:01 p.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Hey folks!

So I'm new to the backpacking world and I'm looking for an inexpensive (possibly used) tent. I'm not super picky, just looking for something affordable, under $100, that keeps the rain and the bugs out, and is relatively light (not more than about 5 lbs).

This'll be my first tent ever, so I'm excited!

And I've been looking on craigslist and ebay and will continue to, but thought I'd check here 

Thanks!

7:17 p.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

Check below...The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent that TAS2 has for sale is a Sierra classic.Great 1.5 person tent and weighs in a tick under 4 lbs.,I believe.

9:16 p.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Eureka Spitfire 2 is designed for 2 individuals, 3 season, lightweight (4 lbs), but costs $140.00. I have a Spitfire 1 (it cost me $80.00 - barely over 2 lbs) and I like it. It has worked for my wife and I on previous trips (a little tight though on the solo version).  

Just a thought.

11:17 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Allie, I think the SD clip flashlight is probably a good choice, and will likely be a bit better on construction than a Eureka tent. I am not knocking N2DW's suggestion at all, it's just that if you have the option of going with a higher quality item that serves the same function for the same price, I'd go with it.

It is dificult to find a quality new tent for under $100 retail. I am not saying you need to spend more, as you can definitely find a great tent for that, but it may be used, or you may have to reeally hunt and wait for a good deal. It would just be a shame to settle for a cheap tent that you will be unhappy with.

Good luck!

12:05 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I have a Mountain Hardwear PCT 2 tent that is not doing anything for me but taking up space and collecting dust.

It is used, but well taken care of and in great shape.  Complete with footprint.  I believe it comes in just under 5lbs.  It was my solo tent for a few trips until I found something smaller, it will fit two people, but very cozy to say the least.  Great for one plus gear.

I can send pics if you are interested.

$60 plus shipping

11:16 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Bunn I'm interested! Want to send pics to Allieliberato@gmail.com? Also how much would shipping be you think? I live in north jersey. Thanks!

8:58 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

allielibs, no problem.  I will send some pics over to you tonight.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply