Putting out feelers....

1:06 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Hey gang - been lurking for awhile now, but finally decided to join-in on the fun.   I get the impression that there's a good market out there for gently-used backpacking/camping gear?   I've got a closet-full, some of it hardly ever used it all for various reasons, but mostly because years ago I discovered that I like canoe-camping much better than lugging everything around on my back like some reluctant sherpa.   Amongst my pile of unused gear are a sweet Dana/K2 Loadmaster Longbed that I only used twice and a Dana Bridger that I foolishly bought when someone convinced me to hop on the internal-frame bandwagon.   Both have been shelved for years, and I know for a fact that before storing them I slipped a couple of mothballs and those cedar-balls into each.  I'll do some research to figure out an asking price, but in the meantime any advice on what information I should include would be helpful, including anything specific I should focus on when I take pictures of the packs.    I also have an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy and a Hennessey Hammock that I never used because I found out, belatedly, that I have some slight claustrophobia issues.  haha   Is that something other members might be interested in, or are they more of a "BackpackingLight" kind of thing?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to summer 2001!

KD

3:22 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Either you have a time machine or a typo in your post. if the former, let me know. That aside, just take a couple of pics that show what you have-front and back.  I've seen ads for tents on eBay that show nothing but the stuff sack, which is not very enlightening.  A friend of mine just sold some furniture on Craigslist and pictures make a big difference in attracting buyers.

The hammock and bivy are specialty items, I'd try them here and on lightweight sites; the packs are sort of cult items, so should sell fairly quickly if priced right.

4:15 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Yikes!   2011.   If I had a time machine, I'd return to the days when I was younger, fitter, and full of fire and vigor!   lol

Thanks, Tom.

KD

7:56 a.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

oruacat2, I might be interested in the Hennessy.  Could you please PM me with the model and other specs, thanks.

12:48 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Will do.   Just give me a bit of time, because I've only just now began inventorying what I have, what I don't use, what I might use, etc.

One thing I'm trying to figure out about the HH is exactly what model it is - and that's gonna sound really dumb until I explain my confusion.   I'm looking at the storage bag right now and it's obviously an Expedition 2.5 - but any time I try to Google for information I only get hits for Expedition 2.5 Asyms.  Is that an entirely separate model that came later, or are they ALL "asyms", but just didn't market them as such back when I got this one (2003 or so)?    I'll stay in touch and won't do anything with it until we speak again.

KD

6:28 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

pictures pictures pictures. pictures of any/all flaws. details details details. details of any/all flaws. if you don't know the specs, Google or perform an internal search on this site. There are several threads selling Dana packs. Pick any one of them, or make a stew of several, and make a template for your sales.

Dana packs have been taking quite a hit on the market. The values have dropped significantly since the Spring. That shouldn't discourage you from selling, but it should open you to the possibility that because you witnessed someone sell a Longbed for $250, that doesn't mean you'll sell yours for that. This stuff is greatly seasonal and fickle as can be. There has been a relatively substantial flood of Dana external packs in the past two months. The supply seems to be overwhelming the demand, so the prices have dropped considerably. Also keep in mind that eBay/PayPal sucks about 15% of your sales in fees, so rather than pricing at the top of the market, price your stuff at 85% from the ceiling. Give people the discounts rather than eBay the fees. That's all I'm saying with that.

EDIT:  I have a couple Dana externals that I'd planned to sell, but it looks like I'll be holding onto them until the demand again swells.  Or until a trade pops up that I can't refuse.

8:39 a.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
114 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Oruacat2, if it's any help I just picked up a Hennessy Hammock expedition 2.5 for $45.00.  It was in perfect condition having only been set up once (and never actually slept in).  This particular hammock was made as a promotion for Snap-on tools and has a red rain cover.  It is exactly the same other than that.  I don't know if the non-promotional hammock would go for more or not.  good luck.

I've read on other sites that asyms (asymetrical) is nothing more that having different tie-out spots on the hammock giving it less of a diamond shape.  I don't really know since mine is not "asym" but that is what I have read.

2:35 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

The Bozeman=made Dana packs and the early Dana-K2 packs made under Dana's supervision are among the best packs ever produced and minty examples seem to sell quickly on some hunting-backpacking sites. I always am interested in the Shortbed model in large and minty condition as these make a super and fairly light hunting pack for BC mountain conditions.

You can try to sell here and/or perhaps sell on a hunting related site. Just a thought from a Dana fan of many packs and over 30 years.

9:11 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Thanks everyone.  Never thought about the hunters' forums - though that makes perfect sense now that I think about it - doesn't Mystery Ranch pretty much market to those guys now?

Guess I'll do a bit of research now.

Pulled both packs out of storage, and they're in terrific shape.  I completely forgot just how sturdy and rugged the Loadmaster Longbed was built.  The thing just feels bombproof.   Not sure what constitutes "minty", but off the top of my head I'm thinking that minus the smell of cedar/mothballs, this is probably pretty close.   The danger now is that I fall back in love with it, though that's not a horrible ending if there's not a market for it anymore.    Maybe it'll force me to get off my lazy behind and plan another long trek. 

Is there a way to tell, by the logo, when exactly this was made?  It has the standard Dana Design logo, with a small nod to K2 - unlike others I've seen with a LARGE K2 logo.   Does that signify that it was made when construction was still "supervised" by the Bozeman folks?   I think I bought the thing in 1997, 1998 at the latest - I honestly had never heard of them until visiting Bozeman with my then-roommate.  We stayed with HIS old college roommate who was working for DD at the time and had all kinds of their gear lying around he'd acquired with his employee discount.

The Bridger still looks good, too - no insect damage because of the cedar/mothballs.   The only thing keeping this from "minty" is that at some point over the years my past girlfriend's puppy must've taken to sleeping on it in the closet.   The shoulder straps are covered with a soft-flannel-like material that must've been comforting, or something.  Anyhow - 5 minutes with a sticky lintbrush removed 99% of it, but in some of the small external nooks-and-crannies there are a few random doghairs that I couldn't reach.   Thankfully the puppy was never a chewer, so there's no actual damage.   I will most definitely be selling this one because as much as I was reminded how much I liked the Longbed, I was also reminded how much I didn't like the Bridger.   I think it's my OCD - I can't stand the disorganization factor, I guess.   I like lots of pockets where I can easily find things, and I don't like the one giant pocket aspect of internal frames.

Now for the good news - the "pleasant surprise" I found.   It had completely slipped my mind that I had at some point bought DD "wet ribs" and packflies for each pack.    The covers/packflies are both unused and have never been rained-on.  I'll have to take them out of their storage sacks to remember which goes with each corresponding pack.  I've seen a few for sale on EBay, but I'm thinking I'll combine pack-fly-wet together as a package-deal.

Dewey - as I'm typing this there is a Dana Shortbed on EBay from a Seattle seller.   Just an FYI for ya.

Again, thanks all.   Bunn - since you asked first, I'll address the HH first.  I'm off work Monday and Tuesday, so weather permitting I'll get the hammock out, inspect it, and snap some pictures.

KD

2:46 a.m. on June 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

I'd sell everything separately. You'll get the most cash out of them that way. If you post a couple pictures of the Longbed, I'm sure we can help you date it.

If you look inside the pack, where does it say it was made? Sri Lanka, Mexico, etc? Seeing the harness system and mesh backpad is also a key element to dating these packs.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply