ISO DACHSTEIN or boiled-wool mittens

9:46 p.m. on June 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I know ... I know ... it was 99-degrees (F)  yesterday, here in Eastern Maryland (nr Chesapeake Bay).   I HATE hot weather !!

I am most eagerly awaiting Autumn and, eventually, Winter.  Preparing my new and updated "Winter Kit".    I have recently acquired some fine Winter / cold-weather clothing, at amazing prices.  

One thing I am looking for, is great boiled-wool mittens.   Specifically, the German-made Dachstein-brand ... size Men's Medium.   Would accept size Small.  EUC (Excellent Used Condition) is fine.

These are kinda rare.  I had a pair, years ago.  Dunno (?) WTH happened to them.   Anyone familiar with these knows just how good they are.

I don't think they are available in North America.   I could be wrong.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks, in advance,

~r2~

1:52 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hi Robert,

Understand your comments well. It's still behaving more like winter than summer out here in the NW.

I still have a couple of pair of these in my stash so have not gone here to purchase.... but I noticed and saved this link mentioned on a Climbing posting a while back..2010 or so. The link posted below is drilled down a bit fom www.bradleyalpinist.com

Here's the Dachstein link direct to the wool stuff:

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42&zenid=2itims71h1dkbtefnfmol37u50

They say they have all of them but I have not checked... They supposedly also have the sweaters but I use Ibex or Icebreaker for this type of gear now.

Good luck...let us know if this is real or Memorex.

Best,

Mazama

8:52 a.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Mazama said:

Hi Robert,

Understand your comments well. It's still behaving more like winter than summer out here in the NW.

I still have a couple of pair of these in my stash so have not gone here to purchase.... but I noticed and saved this link mentioned on a Climbing posting a while back..2010 or so. The link posted below is drilled down a bit fom www.bradleyalpinist.com

Here's the Dachstein link direct to the wool stuff:

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42&zenid=2itims71h1dkbtefnfmol37u50

They say they have all of them but I have not checked... They supposedly also have the sweaters but I use Ibex or Icebreaker for this type of gear now.

Good luck...let us know if this is real or Memorex.

Best,

Mazama

Thanks for the link !   I suspected it would be hard to find.

And ... WOW !   $330 for a Dachstein Wool sweater !   And I thought my Patagonia down sweater was expensive ....

This stuff (Dachstein) is great, though.  Nothing like it, as those who have had any of their gear will attest.

~r2~

7:41 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Robert we have these mittens here in Norway too, and my wife claims they are not hard to make yourself if you know how to knit. If not you must ask someone that does. Then they are not so expensive. There is all you need on the net if you google <tovet vott> or <tovede votter>. Btw they are not boiled, rather rubbed in water/liquid soap and washed in relatively warm water.

11:06 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The Bradley Alpinist link should be real, I know someone who bought a sweater from them recently. They also sell the nice plastic water bottles.

I watched someone knit a similar mitten years ago.  She used really big, loose loops, knit a mitten about 3 feet long, then shrunk it to size in hot water.  The end result is basically a Dachstein mitten.

6:22 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

alan said:

The Bradley Alpinist link should be real, I know someone who bought a sweater from them recently. They also sell the nice plastic water bottles.

I watched someone knit a similar mitten years ago.  She used really big, loose loops, knit a mitten about 3 feet long, then shrunk it to size in hot water.  The end result is basically a Dachstein mitten.

Yes, great link.   I "book-marked" it.

Interesting, re: making / knitting mitts.

~r2~

8:49 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
876 forum posts

Bradley also has Hunersdorff High Altitude Water Bottles. I can attest that these are arguably the best you can get. I have had one for over twenty years and recently bought several from a close out, to have spares, once the old one goes. REI used to sell them, but Nalgene rules on this side of the pond now.

9:43 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Better than Bradleys is Sweaters International for Dachstein-type mittens--no postage and no sales tax. Made by Heratex of Austria.

Bill

10:43 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

What I was looking for. 

Thanks.

~r2~

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply