For Sale: Arc'teryx Bora 95 Backpack, Black

10:53 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

This is a 2001 vintage, Canadian-made Arcteryx Bora 95, medium torso, medium belt. I am the original owner, and this pack has performed admirably well in every situation I’ve used it. This is the perfect pack for long, unsupported trips: I used it successfully for a 10-day backpacking trip through the Bridger-Teton Wilderness, and multiple week-long trips in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It excels under the heaviest loads, with ample padding at every contact point, and a very ergonomic design. I have personally carried loads over 90 lbs in this pack, for many miles, and this pack can handle them with ease. I have about a 20” torso, and a 31” waist; needless to say, the pack is dialed in to fit my torso perfectly. I believe, however it would fit anyone with a torso of about 17-23.” Arcteryx uses a very strong strip of Velcro to secure the shoulder yoke to the back panel, and this has a great range of functional adjustability.  The belt should fit anyone up to about a 34/36” waist.

DSCN0474.jpg
DSCN0477.jpg

The pack has an extension collar/snow skirt which lets it hold loads as large as 7000 cubic inches. It can easily carry snowshoes, ice-axes, and skis, together. The 420ACT fabric used is currently available only on their Naos packs, and is incredibly durable, while being remarkably waterproof: I personally don’t use stuff sacks when I use this pack, as I know from personal experience that all but a sustained dunking—say, wading a deep stream—will be repelled by the fabric and construction of this pack. All zippers are beefy YKKs, well maintained, and water-tight. There is a sleeve and port for your hydration bladder.

DSCN0481.jpg

Three compression straps on each side, and a strippable lid, allow the pack to compress down to about a 3500 cubic inch size, making it a very capable shoulder-season weekend pack as well. I’ve never carried a pack that handles 30lbs so remarkably well. It was this pack that helped me truly understand the value in beefy, well-padded suspensions.

DSCN0493.jpg

The lid of course doubles as a very capable waist-pack. It can hold a 1-liter platypus/hydration bladder and the ten essentials. The 2”-wide strap ensures more than adequate stabilization when rock-hopping or trail running. The lid itself has two sets of plastic slot clips ready for a set of straps to hold your sleeping mat or trail chair. There is a zipper running along about 1/2 the perimeter of the lid, accessing

DSCN0483.jpg

The pack itself is pretty minimalistic in design. The main body is a single compartment, with an adjustable partition just above the waist-level zipper running along the circumference of the pack. This partition and zipper allows one to separate gear for various needs/wants:  dry vs. wet, clean vs. dirty, etc. (Bonus: empty the main pack out and use it as a bivy sack! I’m about 6’-1” and in this capacity the top of the extension collar would just about hit my lower ribs…) The upper compartment also benefits from a vertical side zipper, making access of buried items easy as cake. The front pocket is quite volumous: the items in the picture show below are not included in this sale; they (crampons, tent poles, fleece) are included merely for scale. (Everything shown fits easily, with room left for another jacket or two.) Inside the front pocket is a smaller, stretchy, zippered pocket for essentials like keys, IDs, back-up batteries, etc. There are two side pockets on the outside of the pack each large enough to hold a nalgene or 1.5L platypus, near the bottom, each secured at the top edge with stout elastic and a cord-lock. I can access them while wearing the pack.

Today’s Bora 95 does not include these side pockets; they attach to the side, and must be ordered separately. It is constructed entirely of a thinner, less waterproof, less durable fabric. It uses smaller, more easily-broken zippers and tracks. It may or may not be made in Canada.

This pack does have normal wear and tear, i.e. small scratches and abrasions, but is really is in absolutely beautiful condition. Right when I bought the pack, I coated the bottom with a layer of Shoe Goo; it has made the bottom of the pack all but indestructible. I no longer have to worry about where I set the pack down, and wear has virtually stopped. It hasn’t needed a touch-up since. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this pack; it carries as well as it did on day one!

I paid over $450 for this pack, new, 10 years ago. Today, a new Bora 95 is still priced in the $400 range. I’d like to think this one’s worth $200, but let me know if you think otherwise.  For your safely and mine, I only accept a Paypal payment. I can have it boxed up and shipped within a few days of your payment clearing.

These packs have already gained cult status, and rightly so due to their incredible build quality; this pack will likely appreciate in value in time, much like today’s Bozeman-made Dana Design packs.

2:05 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Price is OBO...

12:34 a.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Made in Canada goodness...

10:21 p.m. on September 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

That's over half off for a lightly-used, very burly pack.

5:19 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

any luck on e-bay?

8:41 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Nope. Most of what I have to sell I put up here and tell my friends about. I'd rather help out those with whom I share a sense of community, and it seems to work well for me: this pack is already sold, to a friend, just two days ago.

10:37 a.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Edit: I see the pack sold.

1:45 a.m. on October 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

@ dmc1793 :  I don't know if your stuck on the Bora 95 or not.  I have decided that the backpack I will be using for my trip to Thailand will be the Bora 80.  Two nights ago I did a cursery search for the Bora packs across the US on Craigslist.  I found 1 Bora 95 in Denver but he would not ship for $75,  I found 1 Bora 75 (womans pack) for $75.  I found 6 Bora 80's around the US on Craigslist for between $75-$100.  I ended up opting for a 2004 Canada made Bora 80 in Seattle for $100.  It is a thing of beauty.  I believe it will turn out to be one of the finest packs ever made.  I also think that if you can wait till the middle of winter you will be able to score one for $50.  In fact I just might have to do that to see if I'm right.  I found a Gregory Denali M size almost new for $150.  The Gregory is such an amazing pack that I may just have to buy because..............., well just go take a look at it.    It's just getting better and better.  Good luck with your search.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply