wanted buy/trade trangia candle lantern

6:58 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

i am looking for a trangia candle lantern. i am willing to buy or trade.

thanks much and happy trails.

7:22 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Do you have any picts. by chance?

7:49 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

apeman 

only this link 

http://www.bplite.com/download/file.php?id=186&mode=view

my understanding is that they take a little wider, tea size, candle than the usual ones you see.

4:05 a.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

So, after looking at the picts I can really get any scale.  Are you saying that this is somewhat widder than the standard Candel lantern made by UCO corp.?  I have a number of these types of candle lanterns, but I believe them to be all the same as the ones in the link below, though I bought my oldler ones 20 years ago and there brass.  I don't know if they make it any more but I have a lamp oil incert that takes the place of the candle and is much cleaner burning as it does not drip wax and longer burning as it holds lamp oil and has a wick.  I don't know what they have at this point in the outdoor stores as I have not been in one other than TNFstor in Seattle for the past 10 years.  Do you have any measurents on this lantern.  I have a NIB(it's actually in a plactic tube) one that I picked up somewhere. Along the way.  As I already have a couple of the ones that I'm used to using (my 20 year old ones) that I'd would be willing to part with.  Though I do not think it's the one your looking for.

After a quick google search this is the one I have in silver.  Other than taking a widder candle, do you have any other info.  I can and will keep an eye out if you want as I see alot of gear.

I did a google search for the one your looking for and really did not come up with anything other than some minor references. 

http://candlelantern.com/original.html

The great and wonderful OZ has give me this link on ebay.  Is the one you want the one on the right in the picture?  http://cgi.ebay.com/4-candle-lanterns-backpacking-camping-Uco-Trangia-more-/200641665146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb72cd87a

That is all I could find.  Hope it helps.

10:23 a.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I HAD one (dunno where it went) years ago, that required a larger sized candle than the standard tea-candles.

I think votive candles worked, but melting wax was a problem.   (Could be used for campside prayers, when Griz is in the area).

Do they make dripless votive candles?

~r2~

3:12 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

thumbnailCA1CG7W0.jpg

I use a used aluminum can as a candle lantern. Simply cut one side of the can back like those little boxes of cereal and place the candle inside. Use the bent up can tab as a hanger. It spreads out the light perfectly!

3:16 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

That's a great idea, Kinda along the lines of the home made alcohol stoves.

3:28 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

Something else I learned in Boy Scouts!

3:56 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

apeman

thanks i missed that one on epay. the seller says the trangia has a plastic lens???? maybe not the one i want after all. i'll email the seller. i am hoping to find a candle lantern with a red glass lens. the oil insert sounds really cool. please let me know if you might have one with a red glass lens.

i remember using a wick holder out of a piece of copper wire with a string wick in a glass of oil. maybe i'll work on a homemade oil burner. thanks much for the help.

robert rowe

i am sure that if you were to use a beeswax candle for your campside prayers the griz would be happy to join the services. i'll bet they would  really be just showing up for the feast after the prayers. burning beeswax is a great way to bring  bears into camp.

5:39 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

lazya4 :

We were ready for any Griz.   We had our own 'natural bear-repellent'.  

~r2~

10:01 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

thumbnailCA1CG7W0.jpg

I use a used aluminum can as a candle lantern. Simply cut one side of the can back like those little boxes of cereal and place the candle inside. Use the bent up can tab as a hanger. It spreads out the light perfectly!

Great idea! I love it. I always bring my UCO lantern with me but I have to try this. I think I'll go with a PBR can, theres plenty out in the recycling bin. Thanks for that!

11:13 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

Whats a PBR can?

I bet one could make a windproof lantern using a clear ex-peanut butter plastic jar. Save the lid to seal and hold the candle when not in use. Maybe make a wire bail to hang it from with small holes in the sides?

I found that vaseline burns like a candle,  just push a cotton string down in the middle of a jar of it with a toothpick. Light it and it will burn well. The cap keeps the oil protected and one can still use the vaseline for whatever. I use it on wounds and burns.

11:38 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

PBR can--Pabst's Blue Ribbon beer can if you are into a 'higher-end' lantern to impress your campmates with!

12:34 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Man, this would be great information if it weren't buried in a "wanted" thread...

4:22 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

karmantra said:

PBR can--Pabst's Blue Ribbon beer can if you are into a 'higher-end' lantern to impress your campmates with!

I only drink the best!

Yea, cleric is right, this should be in Gear.

4:46 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

moderators

please feel free to move this to the gear section, or move a copy with a different title, whatever it is aokay with me. please leave this original post as i am still hoping someone may have what i am looking for. 

after doing a little more research i have decided against an oil burner, too many complaints of leakage. i mostly want a lantern to deal with the condensation issues of camping in the winter with a single wall tent. i think that i would prefer a candle burner to an oil burner....so if any one has a candle lantern with red glass, i am still interested in a for trade or buy. otherwise i  have some new ideas and still may try to manufacture something based upon the help that i already have received. thanks for the responses.  

happy trails

8:31 a.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

If your looking for a tea light candle lantern UCO makes one along with the more traditional larger one.

Here is a link

http://candlelantern.com/mini.html

11:53 a.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I own both the UCO and the Trangia and the UCO is a much better product. The red 'glass' in the trangia is a very thin red plastic film which will break easily in the field.  The trangia does not throw off much light.  Personally my favorite candle lantern is the original candle lantern with the top reflector.

12:18 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

And a american Fosters beer can would make a larger lantern too.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply