La Sportiva Gandas...

1:56 a.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Just picked up a pair on clearance and tried them at my local gym...incredible! They climb markedly better than any other approach shoe I've worn (Pat. Huckleberry, Finn; La Sportiva Cirque Pro, Exum Pro). I can climb 5.10 in them all day long. Spectacular.

Has anyone worn them for hikes longer than 5 miles? Anyone tried them with insoles of any kind? I can tell the Gandas are definitely more climbing shoe than hiking shoe, and that's certainly part of the reason why I like them, but maybe there is a thin Superfeet or something that would work well? Anyone know of a good, thin 3/4-length insole?

10:52 a.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

5.10 in approach shoes?  You are a stud!  How tight do you wear them?  I grovel up 5.10 on top rope but its ugly.  I need all the help I can get. 

11:24 p.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I wasn't trying to brag...I was just verifying, for whatever it's worth, that they posses such qualities which allow one to climb 5.10.

They are literally a climbing shoe in the front, and an approach shoe in the back, with a full-length PU mid-sole for solid edging, and a full dot sole for proper smearing and climbing in general. I wear them fairly tight when climbing, but while the front of the shoe is unlined, the tongue has the "perfect" amount of padding, as does the heelbox, which allows one to really take advantage of the lace-to-toe design, cranking down on the laces as tightly as desired.

The shoe's climbing capabilities are limited by design in that the Ganda is designed for walking a fair distance--up to about 5 miles--and so has a forefoot with a good amount of flex. Very hard, steep routes which require a more stiff, down-turned shoe are still out of range of the Ganda, though maybe I just need to work on my $h1tty climbing technique...

9:48 a.m. on October 4, 2011 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Like you said, they are a great climbing shoe but for hiking not so much. The fit is tight which is good for climbing but doing any long treks your feet are going to kill you and you're probably not going to want to climb anything. If you order the shoe a little bigger for hiking it takes away from the purpose of such a technical approach shoe. Great shoe but almost to technical for most people.

2:45 p.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, uso02uso. Yeah, I think that climbing/hiking tradeoff is common to all approach shoes, and as you said, the Ganda leans heavily towards the former. Because of this, I think, in time, the Ganda will be seen as quite the historical oddity...

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply