proper plastic boot fit (boot liner heel slippage)?

8:00 a.m. on January 2, 2002 (EST)

I am trying to determine the proper fit of plastic boots. A friend is helping me find/fit some plastic boots (he has Koflachs) and he insist that some heel slippage (between the inner liner boot and outer plastic boot shell) is normal. Is this true? If so, how much slippage between the liner and plastic shell is to occur? And should any maintenance be done in this area of movement (e.g. silicone)?

Many thanks in advance for information that anyone has time to share.

New guy to plastic boots, austin texas

6:22 p.m. on January 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Normal? Maybe...
The inner boots come in half-sizes and the plastic outer shells come in whole-sizes. I don't know if this is true for all brands. Wear your sock system, lace your boots up and see if there is any slippage. You can pad it with some soft foam or soft rubber heel padding, just check with your local drug store and see what you can find.
Happy 2002 :-))

7:53 p.m. on January 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Correction

Ooops.

Quote:

The inner boots come in half-sizes
I should have said they come in increment of half-size, i.e. 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, ...etc. And the shells come in 8,9,10,...etc. But I don't know how is that relates to European sizes.

1:22 p.m. on January 9, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

If you plan on ice climbing, I wouldnt allow for too much slippage as you want to keep your heels down-impossible if your boots are too big. I had a pair of Koflach's that were one half size too large and, even with 2 thick socks, it made for a miserable climb. Ditched them and got the Trango Ice-awesome-like walking in regular shoes.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply